AI cars/competitors behaviour

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by FastRig, Jun 1, 2017.

1. FastRig

FastRig Registered

Hi all,

Just downloaded rF2 after a rather long sabbatical and while a lot of third-party content in terms of cars and tracks continues to be available - I wanted to know if there is any way to change the behaviour of the AI cars in the race. Yes there is AI aggressiveness which can be changed but is there something that can be done to make competitors go crazy - like put you into the wall for no reason, or drive the wrong way around the whole track only to hit you head-on.

These are things a human competitor can and will do at times so I thought it'd be fun to have AI turn completely unpredictable as well.

Any thoughts would be awesome!

Thanks and looking forward to interact with the community here.

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

o_O I've been following racing since 1994, and not once have I seen that happen. I wouldn't call it something essential that needs to be coded into the game...

As for people putting you into the wall for no reason - that's why Maldonado isn't an F1 driver any more.

F1Aussie likes this.
  3. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

There may be crazy things a human online competitor might do like driving the wrong way or wrecking for fun but not really something real race drivers would do other the occasional brain fade, payback or be just plain aggressive. I'd rather not simulate the bad aspects of online racing behaviour!

4. FastRig

FastRig Registered

I agree with you, it doesn't happen in motorsport but rash/aggressive driving is a part and parcel of daily life, when you are driving on the street. So that's the perspective I'm coming from.

If it is possible to have AI simulate the random way other cars on the road might behave, and to have a street race amidst that would be something.

Essentially I'm asking whether NFS/GTA style of gameplay is possible while keeping rF's core strengths - physics and tuning accuracy. It is not purist yes but I just want to explore and alternate style of gameplay. Say doing a open-wheeler race on the streets of New York with crazy new York traffic to dodge through.

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

No, not possible.

6. FastRig

FastRig Registered

Understood. So even if it is possible to map out a city circuit, there is no way to add AI traffic that say follows traffic rules and stuff?

7. peterchen

peterchen Registered

You can play around with AIfailure rate in player.JSON
    I use 0.24 for more lifelike behaviour, but you certainly could test some wild numbers (max is 1.0) and look what happens.