DX11 WITH MULTIVIEW

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tmbir, May 22, 2017.

?

DX11 - WICH CONFIG YOU USE

Poll closed Jun 6, 2017.
  1. Simple Screen

21.3%
  2. Triple Screen

68.5%
  3. VR

10.1%
  1. tmbir

tmbir Registered

It's not a secret ... multiview is not optimized :cool: even with DX11 ... but it's a pleasure to run with a triple screen with the multiview enable :p.

To help @Marcel Offermans knowledge ... it's interesseting to know wich config. you have ... so ... he may be able to take it into account in his rF2 development.

Please ... save the Multiview :D:D:D.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    Vincent Dimaio likes this.
  2. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

I actually use VR and triple screen setups, but I could not select both. It is interesting for us what configuration people use for sure, even though we probably need a lot of answers to get a representative poll for the whole userbase.

One thing I would say though is that multiview is equally well optimized as single view or VR, it is just the heaviest of them all since we need to render three separate viewports instead of one (or rather, there is one extra viewport, the rear view that we need for the mirrors, unless you turn those off completely). I know what you're getting at though, there are some hardware optimizations in the very latest nvidia cards that, based on what I've seen, might give us about 20% extra. We are definitely looking at that technology, but right now I prioritize improvements that benefit all our users instead of only those with triples and a 10x0 nvidia card. As those cards become more common though, chances will increase that we'll spend time on it.

mike.m, Korva7, Ernie and 3 others like this.
  3. Stan

Stan Registered

Hi Marcel, and thanks for the response (and your dedication), but what I think tmbir was pointing, is that in dx9, switching from single screen to multiview was impacting fps by... I don't know but lets say 20%, while in dx11 it drop 40-50%
    Don't you have that same impact on your system?

tmbir likes this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

Well you are rendering three times more pixels with triples, so it's not surprising to me that it drops 40-50%. 20% sounds way too low going from single to triple, I doubt that's correct. Also there is a penalty for turning on the multiview option when using triples. I think more useful is to compare triples with multiview on/off, that can tell us if multiview itself needs more optimizing.

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

The 3 times more pixels is a misnomer - 5760x1080 (normal fullscreen) i get around 95-100 fps.. 5760x1080 Mutliview i get around 70fps - so im seeing around 30% drop..but there is the same pixels... (it is having to render 3 different views, then project the complete rendered frame that takes time.

Normal fullscreen is rendering 1 viewport really wide .. mutliview is rendering 3 unique angled viewports. so there will be a hit.. 20-30% i would expect.. I am seeing around the same % hit in other games that also have fullscreen vs independant viewport rendering.

Good to hear that new technologies are being considered. The competition is definately taking advantage of it as it comes..

6. Stan

Stan Registered

@stonec: Well, as I wrote 20% was just a guess, but it's a fact that the multiview still have much more impact on dx11 that it had in dx9 (at least with my gtx780).
    And to reply your question, dx11/multiview=on is more or less 40/50% slower than dx11/multiview=off, while in dx9 it was losing far less (20/30%)

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    MARVIN likes this.
  7. tmbir

tmbir Registered

Thanks for the response @Marcel Offermans. I want to point that multiview in DX9 was very good/perfect with my config. (980Ti) and now with DX11 (Médium) multiview was impacting my fps a lot. So I can't play anymore with pleasure ... that's why I want to know how many people use triple screen and if the proportion is important to consider the multiview (or others technologies) in your improvement. I'm aware and agree with your priority of improvement but don't forget the lot of user who love to play with passion in their triple screen. Rfactor2 is a blast and I love the way you take for the future of our sim :p.

Regards.

Alex72, MARVIN, Stan and 1 other person like this.
  8. MARVIN

MARVIN Registered

Exactly what I noticed. Switching from multiview dx9 to multiview dx11 was much worse than the pass single dx9 to single dx11.

9. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I think the title might skew the poll a bit.

Emery and MarcG like this.
  10. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Triplus. :) Yes DX11 + multiview eats more FPS for sure. And you can not use without MV because the triple screen app isnt working (at least wasnt last time i checked) so you cant set bezel, angle, width and all that.

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah the thread title is a bit misleading, along with the lack of Options to vote on.