The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. 3NPV5IRR

3NPV5IRR Registered

S397 do very right thing: listening the feedback from the community to make the sim more customer oriented. That is why we write our feedback to make our small input to do our favorit sim better.
    Sorry, but your post brings no or even negative value. According to you S397 shouldn't make such a big effort to move from DX9 to DX11.

mike.m likes this.
  2. Skan

Skan Registered

The sky is relative to your geographic location. The sky in Chicago will never look like the sky in Fiji for example. There is no way rFactor 2 or any other simulator is going to account for how the sky should look according to the sky you see at your real life location. Even real time weather in X-Plane (my favorite flight sim) does not look like it does outside when I take off or land at Sacramento International. I bring up X-Plane because that weather may not look the best but it is dynamic and works in real time.

The screens you watch also play a part in how you believe a simulator should look. It is subconscious at times but from looking at a screen you expect things to look a certain way on said screen. Test it for yourself... watch a commercial on your favorite screen and then watch that same commercial on something else. Immediately you will pick out what is "wrong" with that commercial. Nothing is wrong with it. Viewer perception is the problem.

Emotions and mood also play a part in how you think the sky looks or should look. Bad news or any form of depression can make even the brightest day forgettable. Those days can all appear "grey" to anyone who is perpetually unhappy. The other side of this is obvious. If You are happy or in any euphoric state, the sky might seem just fine even if it is during a blizzard.

With almost 8 billion people on this floating rock, there is no way that we will all see something subjective in the same way at the same time. Another example for you, what color is the text I am typing in?

3. Rastas

Rastas Registered

Where do i say that S397 shouldnt go from DX9 to DX11?

4. Navigator

Navigator Registered

"I say this":
    "But I do this":
    "I wonder why people tell me to play another game, but I'm pretty relaxed about it":

Ehhh.......had some spare time and just HAD to do this :)

MarcG, kimbo and demerzel like this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I can't believe this thread has got the legs that it has.

kimbo likes this.
  6. boxer

boxer Registered

Agree, I find the sky color worst now than in DX9... very unrealistic now. Over saturated and too much green I think.
    the move the DX11 has been an improvement with the exception of the sky IMO.

7. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I haven't noticed a green sky, not sure what you mean, definitely not oversatured either, the blues to me look similar to what I see when I stick my head outside

8. Woodee

Woodee Registered

How many people in this thread calibrate their monitors? Anyone? Anyone?

F1Aussie likes this.
  9. boxer

boxer Registered

You are right, now that I looked at it a bit more closely I can see it's just heavily saturated cyan color. to me the older sky has better color.

Guimengo likes this.
  10. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

Everyone should do at least "visual" calibration by using lagom site:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

It provides superior results to some default monitor settings and takes perhaps 15 minutes to do. You can of course get better results with a calibration tool and software, but for gaming purposes visual calibration is usually more than enough. Lagom tests also reveal the problems with your panel and with some cheap TNs it is almost impossible to have a perfect result and you usually need to compromise on one or two of the following: black levels, colour temperature or contrast.

kimbo likes this.
  11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

interesting that my monitor works right despite all the settings being done to have it as dark as possible because if it is bright I get a headache, same on my TV :D

12. TheGrunt

TheGrunt Registered

My current Acer Predator X34 was a breeze to calibrate, just couple of settings here and there notch down as the default settings were exceptionally good, but my previous triple screen TN panels were impossible to set at 2.2 in colour gamma. Those panels apparently just couldn't achieve sufficient RGB-area.

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Just wondering... the way we perceive colours still has some subjectivity. I suppose as long as the theory behind the colours creation is solid then not sure what else can be done. Everyone was crying out for DX11 and now we have it, they have moved on to the next thing "but the sky is the wrong shade of blue" :D

F1Aussie and bwana like this.
  14. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

I'm a new boy with posting here: I only got round to registering last year, but I've been lurking on driving sim for ever. As someone with real-life racing experience I can tell you that you don't have an awful lot of time to admire the scenery during a race. You're much too busy trying to drive as quick as you can without making a mistake and crashing.
    If you have time to think " wow, the sky looks sh*t today", you just aren't driving fast enough :D
    rF2 is far and away the most realistic driving sim for physics, AI and FF. That rF2 has some graphic shortcomings in comparison with some other games can't be denied, but the DX11 upgrade (and ongoing improvements), have made a realistic driving SIM even better. Some of the other games mentioned in comparison here are just that: games
    I sometimes get tired of all the wingeing that goes on on the forums, and then often from people that're talking out of their ar*se: if you put them in a real racing vehicle, they would'nt have the remotest idea how to drive it at all, never mind driving anywhere on the pace .....
    The team that has taken over rF2 has done a stellar job up to now, and have got the priorities in the right order. We should cut them some slack and be grateful instead of complaining that it doesn't look as pretty as it could be. Just my 2c ! :cool:

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    bluet, jayarrbee36 and bwana like this.
  15. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

iRacing is using fixed, static skies were as everything in rF2 is dynamic - it's like comparing a photo to a simulated render, the comparison is pointless.

Ernie likes this.
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It was the grass , now it's the sky

What next ? Curb stones maybe

Just practice your race craft & leave all this kind of stuff to the devs

bluet and F1Aussie like this.
  17. boxer

boxer Registered

After checking in PS I believe the cyan HUE is too close to the green moving it towards the blue make a huge difference to the overall look. (see images bellow)

I run 2monitors... one calibrated IPS panel and an non calibrated LCD... the sky color looks wrong on both.

#1 (Photo from RAW file with WB set to direct sunlight - D300 + Tokina 11-16 / no polarizing filter used.
    [​IMG]

#2 Original DX11
    [​IMG]

#3 DX11 - with PP HUE adjustment only
    [​IMG]

#4 (DX11 - with HUE and saturation adjustments)
    [​IMG]

#5 DX9
    [​IMG]
    the biggest issue i see is the incorrect color near the horizon.

18. boxer

boxer Registered

Here is are the colors sampled near the horizon...
    [​IMG]

SPASKIS, CamiloNino, 3NPV5IRR and 2 others like this.
  19. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Well in my view you went from a blue sky in DX11 to something purple :D
    This kind of topic is always boring, people always see it different, it goes pages and more pages of nothing. In the end it stays as the dev wants. There is never an agreement

20. boxer

boxer Registered

LOL maybe a bit too much... fair enough then show me real world photo that matches what you call blue in that rF2 DX11capture... (one from this planet preferably :)
    just look at the real shot vs DX11...