The Sky... the big thing rFactor 2 has to improve

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by BlackGoku, May 18, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I see your point
    But iracing is just a fixed picture like your phones picture pasted on a background in track builder

Dynamic computer generated one that's altering etc is a wholely different thing
    Not sure how complex rf2's skies come become without more cpu/gpu overhead ?

Ronnie-M5 likes this.
  2. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Ok, but as a player I just care about what I see when driving and not how it was done. And I think iRacing looks better.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Would you like me to list all the things wrong with iracings nsm (new surface model),short version.its never worked,it doesn't promote different racing lines on oval,it changes but it's so far from realistic its laughable.
    The weather in iracing makes you 3 seconds slower or faster with 10 degree shifts from default weather,again it's been admitted that it's 4x to strong,so again very unrealistic,they say dynamic weather but it never changes within the session,or swings anywhere of 60 degrees from practice to qualifying,basically within a half hour realtime frame,they justify this by saying practice and qualifying are run on separate days,which basically just shows what a joke the "worlds leading and most realistic simulation is".
    Then you have to factor in the budget they had to work with and the user base they have always had,paying $15 per track $11 per car on top of the yearly sub,means they have a huge advantage over rf2 when it comes to budget,not forgetting that join Henry gave them upwards of $20 million,yes million.

Given all that,all you are left with is a broken simulation wiith safety systems that do not promote safe racing.

Yeah let's be like iracing

Ho3n3r likes this.
  4. Mulero

Mulero Registered

I do not know if they have changed the cloud system in Assetto Corsa since I have not even worn it for years, but the cloud system was ridiculous. Simple and flat textures spinning .....

My only complaint about the sky of rF2 is not having volumetric clouds and above all, that the clouds do not project individual shadows. To see two clouds in the sky and the whole landscape, dark by the shadow or the opposite, all the sky covered and all the sunny scene as if there was not a cloud is something that totally breaks the immersion, at least for me. The world is a place of light and shadow ....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

gor, Ernie, SPASKIS and 1 other person like this.
  5. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

Well, I don't have iRacing so I don't care about this.

I am not discussing rFactor 2 vs iRacing, I am just discussing that rFactor 2 sky should be improved.

And... by the way, I didn't use iRacing to explain the working temperatures or punctures... because it is something rFactor 1 has, so... well.

Ronnie-M5 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

Really?
    Another guy with not to much posts comes in here and start writing about how great other games are......and he does that in "technical and support"........
    Even makes it sound like he is genuinely concerned for rFactor2...........

If iRacing is that great; play that.

bluet, Ho3n3r, Rastas and 5 others like this.
  8. BlackGoku

BlackGoku Registered

6 years driving in rFactor 1, rFactor 2, Assetto Corsa and Automobilista.

2 mods created for rFactor 1: F1LRCLUB 2012 and F1LRCLUB-VCR 2013.

Logitech G27, no aids, cockpit view, PC that moves maxed out graphics. Racing lover, and SimRacing leagues administrator.

I think I am not one of the guys you talk about. I just love rFactor 2 as much that I want the best for it and I wish to see improvements in the sky, the steering wheel, tire punctures and more realistic damage. And I discuss it here, so the developers can read it and I could help them to think about what to improve. Thats all.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I want what ever is least load of cpu/gpu
    think many to hung up on visuals, lap practice & head to head racing is where the enjoyment is

to much visual complexities usually means increased risk of lag & latencies

agreed -punctures/blowouts etc , the things that add realism to the racing is worth

ps that AC vs rf2 clouds, wow I think the rf2 clouds are way way better also notice the whole virtual environment change as a result , quite incredible

10. Mulero

Mulero Registered

11. stonec

stonec Registered

To my eyes the sky has just the right color in rF2 after the DX11 patch. I don't think we can really say much about sky color objectively, just look at the photos that @Mulero posted above, the sky has a different color in every image. It depends so much on exposure, from which direction the sun points, where at the earth the track is located (sky has different "blueness" in different parts of world). In rF2 you have all these parameters working together, including HDR and auto exposure, in iRacing there is none, just a flat image.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Yet you have no idea what you are talking about ...

I agree with you on the fact that stuff like the clouds could use further improvements, more variation in types of clouds etc, but I don't think that it is a good idea to follow the static environment approaches like iRacing, rF1, AMS or AC. What we should be looking at is the weather system in Projects Cars and how we can build upon what we allready have. I also would be carefull to call the AC cloud system realistic looking. I can instantly spot the flaws, as there is no shadowing going on and HDR is not really affected by them, let alone the lightconditions of the track. No matter how much you say it: AC has no dynamic weahter. That's a simple fact. Also don't make the mistake to judge how a sky should look by simply looking out of you window and state it as the ultimate truth. I am pretty sure, even a clear sky will look very different right now depending on where you are.

What would be nice to have are different cloud types, like cumulus, cumulonimbus and some cirrus clouds. Right now it's limited to one type wich makes it look wierd at times, but very realsitic looking in other conditions.

13. kimbo

kimbo Registered

you do not like rf2 graphics, sound, wheel, arms on wheel, sky, clouds,colours...so...wtf are you playing rf2?
    I consider iracing and especially ac two garbage games, so...I DO NOT PLAY those games, be coherent with yourself.

Is this the game you like so much?

14. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Oh but you were just saying multiple times how iracing is better,don't flip flop man,stay with it.
    Shall I screen shot a certain portion of iracing sky from their donnington track,it has a plane,moitionless in the same spot,it never moves lol,yeah I want that.thats epiccccccccccc

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Ho3n3r, F1Aussie and kimbo like this.
  15. joekart

joekart Registered

For the sky, i just would like to see some cumulonimbus and it would be perfect.

16. Filip

Filip Registered

Wow,how old are you,your clearly acting like a child,a child with no standards what so ever,furious butt hurt fanboys are the scourge of this planet.

Guimengo likes this.
  17. Navigator

Navigator Registered

.......wow......just.....wow.......

Seems realistic to me, I mean; the sky looks good so where is the problem?

Give me half a day and I look up a real life picture for you that has the exact same sky, even if its from 5 K up in the air.
    That will prove how real iRacing is and boy, will you feel stupid posting this after seeing that picture!

18. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Sorry - but those statements are completely wrong.
    You need to do some research and understand what you are talking about properly.
    I've seen your comment on the creation of mod's and the length of time you've been playing various games.

I have been playing racing simulators for 25 years - well over 20 titles across multiple hardware platforms. I've been using rF2 from day 1 and rF1 prior to that.
    Assetto Corsa is a bug riddled mess of a game (full of so many holes I wouldn't waste my time detailing them - although I have previously to prove to someone what a pile of crap it is).
    iRacing has a business model I do not agree with.
    If you prefer those games and have so many issues with rF2, then I suggest you use the products that fit your opinion on what's right and wrong.

In response to your comments on "Because it doesn't have working temperatures for the track..." - start with reading the wikipedia article on rF2, then dig into things from there. I.e. do some actual research and understand your subject properly. Here are a couple of simple explanations for you.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFactor_2

Specifically:
    1) "rFactor 2 is the first consumer simulation featuring a thermomechanical physically-based tire model, based on first principles,[15] simulating the entire carcass, thread, and contact patch, with proper heat transfer, accurate tire wear, flatspots,[16] and visual deformation.[17][18][19] It's also the first to feature truly dynamic track conditions."

2) "Real Road is one of the most prominent features of rFactor 2. Rubber is dynamically laid on the track surface in real time during a race session by the player and the AI. The rubber can carry over to the next sessions and this calls for the player to constantly having to adapt to the advancing track conditions during a race weekend which in a dry race weekend means more and more available grip throughout. The player can choose from various rubber presets to start with or just choose to start the weekend on a completely green track. Real Road can be accelerated, left at a normal rate, or be completely static. The feature also creates grip-affecting marbles outside of the normal racing line.

Real Road also works together with wet weather: when rain hits the track the previously built-up rubber and marbles is washed away and the track will then need to be rubbered in again. The wet track surface dries dynamically similar to the aforementioned rubber build-up due to both cars on track as well as temperature, sun, and wind. The Real Road system of rFactor 2 is unique because it is not scripted but completely dynamic."

>>> note the comments in those two sections directly addressing temperature.
    Your claims about temperature modeling are demonstrably false.

gor and Rastas like this.
  19. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

If you see the clouds in a race you are not driving enough fast... :)

And in the other side, clouds are a huge fps eater. If you play X-Plane you know I say.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

certain snapshots of iracings sky do look great & better than anything else

but the important thing is its simply a fixed piece of art super imposed into the background,
    rfactor 2's is not fixed its moving changing and dynamic ......does it also effect the track surface does anyone know ?