Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

AI is a PC resource eater, I only use x6 at most which equals zero glitches and super smooth fluid visual experience

with a 1080ti water cooled/overclocked , i7 4.8ghz also water cooled , I still run low to medium settings , AAx1 no multi or super,
    I do like a sharp image I have VR pixel set to 1.6

on the official updated tracks ( & even at my settings) I'm sure rfactor2 looks better in cockpit than AC & iracing
    the smoothness is also superb

if your struggling then make yourself run EVERYTHING on min/off settings with pixel at 1.00 for a week or two then I promise when you move low to med with pixel at 1.2 it will seem like a major upgrade in visuals, don't cling onto high/max settings

PS could be just me but I'm sure the sim/ffb etc feels better when PC is not breaking a sweat, I am very sensitive to latencies/lag though, test as my suggestion above to see if you find the same ?

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  2. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Anyone notice a reduction or elimination of eye strain? With my screen, my eyes would be red and sore after a grand prix + qualy. With VR, my eyes are fine and i'm just a little sweaty

PaulG and Adrianstealth like this.
  3. Magus

Magus Registered

I've come to the conclusion that on a mid range system like mine, if you want SP with at least 15 on the grid, and some graphics that are reasonable then you are better off mixing 1AA with 1.5/6 PD, most options down to medium, reflections and shadows off, AFx16 and then lock the game to 45fps with ASW. This will give a happy medium along all tracks and cars and stops the constant stuttering and jerkiness of Auto ASW. However, if you are seeking 90fps, then unfortunately with AI it's just not consistent & I've come to the conclusion, not possible or playable as on some places you need to take AAoff & PD down and it makes seeing the corners very difficult. SO right now I think for those that don't have top end system and want to race AI, we're locked on to 45fps with ASW.

Man I love this freaking game, the races are alive, and I watched Jimmy Broadbent racing the Civic around Toban, and what he said rang so true for me; in rF2 you don't race to come 1st against the AI, the race is just just so thrilling, engaging and alive that you are happy to just work away at whatever position you can. I'm just hoping for a 40% performance improvement in VR and I'll be a happy boy.

4. PaulG

PaulG Registered

I have the same issue. My eyes just get chewed up by constant monitor use. And it doesn't help that I don't blink enough when I get tense. The more relaxed focal distance with VR definitely is easier on my eyes vs more monitor usage.

5. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

guys why is my frame rate showing 90 and constantly switches to 45 .
    I read something about ASW how do you disable that?

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Click on the VR top right on steam if it's not already illuminated

Then right click on the little steam vr circle in your task bar ^

You'll find it in there -I think it's under "performance" tab

If you have unstable performance simply go lower graphic settings

7. whip

whip Registered

you have oculus or vive? read up on reprojection for vr (asw its called for oculus) i leave it on as it smooths out the experience if the frame rate gets low

8. Pablo11

Pablo11 Registered

I have got the oculus. I dont know what i did but it works normal now.
    Getting stable 90 fps. Thanks for help anyway:)
    Its just second day of using and i think is amazing apart from resolution i kind of struggle to see properly but im still figuring this out . Im sure once they improve that i will say goodbye to monitors. I dont get any motion sickness so cant wait for another version of this.
    Im coming from triples 120hz monitors so i find difficult to accept this low pixels.
    I was eying on asus rog 27 monitors but the price is the killer. I new oculus is not perfect but i decided to go for it just to get myself into it and learn about it.
    For now i will keep my monitors because some of the content i play is difficult to play in vr.
    Apart from the resolution stutter is another big issue for me with oculus
    I folowed this forum and was playing with settings but it is still there thats quiet annoying.
    After testing vr i went back to my triples for a spin and wow i couldn feel my braking points right away . It is very different but nice resolution is what makes me keep my monitors for now.
    I have not try any other sims so iracing will be next i wonder how this is going to turn out.

My specs is asus gtx 1080 and l7 4790k .I never overcloked but maybe i will try now to see if it helps

9. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Thanks for a helpful thread! Got the DK2 up and running.

One thing I'm a little unsure of is how to benchmark properly as there is no fps meter.
    I should be looking for 75? On a DK2 or is it still 90?

My settings are currently PD 1.8 / AA3 / graphics settings mostly medium with shadows low and reflections off.

PC is very modest with an AMD FX6300 / RX480 8GB / 16GB ram.

Adrianstealth and bravotangosix like this.
  10. Magus

Magus Registered

@Pablo11 The headsets will always aim to transmit at 90fps as this is the ideal framerate, however, just like a monitor if the graphical intensity is too much it creates peaks and troughs in frames. This results in a stuttering mess and nausea in VR. Oculus has developed a code that when there is a performance deficit, it will run the frames at half the value & ASW kicks in. Similar to tearing, ASW creates some artifacts on the vision and these can be quite off-putting when the deficit is large.

I'm not sure at what PD you have set your system at as that helps with the resolution but at the same time I know exactly what you mean. Coming from triples myself it was really off putting. It was where my focus was & at the time I was only playing AC. Between increasing PD in AC and adapting to the graphics, there was no way i was going back to a flat screen for racing. At the moment rF2 VR is in its infancy, I've not tried iRacing, but if you want to see VR implemented well in a racing game, then I would suggest AC. In a non-racing simulation I would suggest il-2 Battle of Stalingrad or Moscow.

@TheMattyOnline , the DK2 max refresh rate is 75Mhz, so that will be where you can cap too.

TheMattyOnline likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Tip: If your experiencing slight stuttering in VR try turning Replays Off as this is a long known RF2 issue affecting some systems.

Milopapa and TheMattyOnline like this.
  12. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

I find VR for all racing sims much less of a strain on the eyes. I think it is a bit counter intuitive, people liken VR to sitting too close to the TV, whereas the focal distance is the key not the closeness of the screen that matters.

mike.m and Kokomo like this.
  13. halono

halono Registered

Our eyes are made for focusing on objects farther away so it's probably better in VR when eyes don't have to use so much muscles to focus on a close monitor.

14. Milopapa

Milopapa Registered

Also, in VR you keep changing the focus distance - you look at the horizon, you look at your instruments, you look at the other cars... your eyes do real focusing work and movement, as opposed to staying focused at 45cm straight ahead.

Ceolmor likes this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've turned off all the reprojection stuff in steam vr settings

Figure if I want good settings for the PC to be easily handling everything well within its limits then reprojection is not needed , it's fine without & the less stuff running or switched on then the better

I did do a stress test with x20 AI & it was better than expected started to buckle here & there thus no good but I'd expect this with cpu hungry AI , I don't really use them anyway or x6 at most

16. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

I've already banged my head a few times leaning out of the car, forgetting there is a wall right next to my rig.
    How easily our brains are fooled!

bravotangosix, Eddy and MarcG like this.
  17. Ceolmor

Ceolmor Registered

It's like I once adjusted the in-car seat position because the wheel felt too far away, following which it felt much better, until I realised my physical wheel hadn't actually moved at all.

And you only ever need one rim, because your physical wheel always feels the same size as the one you can see in game.

TheMattyOnline and Adrianstealth like this.
  18. Miro

Miro Registered

That spotter is amazing! I have never used one and even in iRacing i've allways switched that dude off but this one I'd really consider using.

19. Magus

Magus Registered

It's definitely worth installing and works with AC, R3E, PCARS, AMS & rf. You can personalize it, have it swear at you, and get voice recognition on so you can ask questions about laps, times, temps etc. No race is complete without it. In VR I take all the HUD elements off & just ask questions for what i need to know.

Miro and Ceolmor like this.
  20. whip

whip Registered

hopefully the driver models will get updated, they look toy like in vr

vittorio and Adrianstealth like this.