UPDATED: leo bodnar simsteering : .Json (controller file) may help OSW users too

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 9, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

EDIT 2019 , there is now inbuilt compatibility in Rfactor2 , however I’ll leave this post here in case it helps with any one wishing to experiment & tweak their setting
    Always remember to reload the custom profile in the controller options page after changing
    -thanks
    ————————————————-
    Take advantage of the truly superb ffb output Rfactor2 has to offer

Bodnar Simsteering .Json file is attached as a zip file
    At bottom of this post

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Same settings as pic above , I'm now using 5% overall damp , game damping off

NOTES BELOW :

This file should work nicely across all cars , the bodnar system can be very "punchy"
    and deliver clean uncluttered forces, I was finding that in rfactor 2 the sharper forces didn't feel so natural, I was after more of a "rubber" feel yet maintain clarity

the smoothing option is defaulted to 3 this is a minimum and 4 to 5 is a max
    but I prefer to keep smoothing to a minimum

If you wish the ffb to feel a bit "tighter" don't fiddle with the ffb,
    simply increase the caster in the sim-car garage/setup options -just 2 to 5 clicks up will do it

tire flat spot effect now feels decent & natural as opposed to overpowering

large curb hits feel more rubbery

high downforce cars now have a decent balance between slow to high speed cornering forces effect

In Bodnar panel settings 65% is optimum, the system will still deliver incredible power ( interia & friction is optional user preference )

.Json file ( complete ) is attached

Unzip the attached file, put the new unzipped file in :
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller
    -go back into Rfactor 2 , controllers , load that same file "Bodnar SimSteering"
    you will have to configure your pedals/buttons but it will use the new values for ffb

Adjust the ffb strength in the rfactor 2 controller options (but leave the smoothing at 3 minimum )

Do spend some time with it so to personally "tune in" to the new feel it may feel strange at first

( Developed & tested extensively on a Bodnar V2 53 SimSteering system )

NEW FILE " Simsteering direct" Added , give a much more direct feel

---------

OSW settings help :

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/share-your-osw-settings.52499/page-8#post-909114

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    SimonJ, RaceNut, thewanted and 4 others like this.
  2. Navigator

Navigator Registered

.......did I ever tell you I hate you??

Hehe, nice set mate!

3. Tr51

Tr51 Registered

Hi

In the controller.JSON file, did you touch some value?

Adrianstealth likes this.
  4. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

New updated file above 19/05/2017

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. Tr51

Tr51 Registered

Many thanks

6. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Nice, I'll give these a go!

7. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen Registered

Decreasing gain from driver is indeed usable tweak with rF2 but usually AFAIK you shouldn't do that. It will smoothen the way the FFB "kicks in" but it will also mess with the FFB linearity which is not something people typically want to do. This is the way I was doing with my OSW for a long time but these days I force myself to use 100% gain from MMOS, decent amount of filtering and tons of damper to make the feedback littlebit more car-like. For some reason rF2 is the only title where I artificially try to soften the feedback cause it feels somehow way exaggerated. But there's also a huge difference between the cars so I haven't been able to find all-rounder settings to make all the cars driveable. Skippy and USF are great atm.

8. jeffers

jeffers Registered

Yep, an improvement from the settings I was previously using, many thanks!

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I find moving the wheel config down from 100% (not in sim , in the bodnar interface setting ) takes a bit of harshness out of the forces
    Ffb obviously goes tad higher in-sim but still the sharp forces become slightly rounded which I seem to find more natural
    ( it's a must with thrustmaster t500 otherwise it can rattle + it feels mechanical at 100%)

Im pretty sure it remains linier
    ( there's a linier setting in .Json file which remains at 100%

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Give the spark f1 a try
    It's very lively & ffb is super

11. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

[​IMG][/IMG] in my case, i think is thousand of times better to have "low" values in mmos (35-45%) and then raise the car specific FFB mult to the max value untill you start to get clipping (red bar in pedal overlay). in some car the value can go up to 3.0 (Dissenter) most of them need 2.0 , in this case the GT500 is around 1.35.

[​IMG]

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

reserved

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. Ville-Samuli Mutanen

Ville-Samuli Mutanen Registered

I can understand why you wanna do that but that way you limit your wheel capabilities well below 10Nm (if set to 20Nm max). Also as I said before, the torque output won't be linear anymore.

But ofcourse the end result is the thing that matters. Not the theory behind it.

14. Gonzas

Gonzas Registered

in the rest of games i have it on 100% and then i edit it ingame.

but for Gmotor games i like it in that way,.

i did not know it loses linearity, thanks.

15. danalm

danalm Registered

Pretty sure that the multiplier is really just a multiplier, so it doesn't affect the linearity at all. Limiting the torque output on the servo side might change the linearity though, as pointed out by Ville.

Therefore with the Bodnar, I would always use 100% force in the Bodnar software and adjust the multiplier in game. If you do it the other way round you lose dynamic range and you really don't want to do that.

Adrian's settings are a bit weird for my taste, but if it works, it works. If anyone want to try sth else, here are my settings:

Controller.json:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jkl3y3po5g47a25/Bodnar_HE_P310.JSON?dl=0

Bodnar software:
    IMG_0884.PNG

In-game:
    IMG_0885.PNG

16. Tr51

Tr51 Registered

hi
    Hmmm .... I have to say that they are some strange parameters ... those of Danalm seem to me to be more appropriate (except linear & Jolt magnitude)

My .JSON :

"Jolt magnitude":0.5,
    "Jolt magnitude#":"How strong jolts from other cars (or walls) are. Suggested Range: -2.0 to 2.0.",
    "Off-road multiplier":0.3,
    "Off-road multiplier#":"Temporary test variable to reduce force feedback strength off-road (0.0 = zero FFB, 1.0 = full FFB)",
    "Other spring coefficient":0,
    "Other spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Other spring saturation":0,
    "Other spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0) for any other FFB-capable controllers",
    "Rumble strip magnitude":0,
    "Rumble strip magnitude#":"How strong the canned rumble strip rumble is. Range 0.0 to 1.0, 0.0 disables effect.",
    "Rumble strip pull factor":0,
    "Rumble strip pull factor#":"How strongly wheel pulls right\/left when running over a rumble strip. Suggested range: -1.5 to 1.5.",
    "Rumble strip update thresh":0.05,
    "Rumble strip update thresh#":"Amount of change required to update rumble strip effect (0.0 - 1.0)",
    "Rumble strip wave type":0,
    "Rumble strip wave type#":"Type of wave to use for vibe: 0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.",
    "Skip updates":0,
    "Skip updates#":"Apparently some drivers can't handle a quick FFB update rate, so use this hack to skip the given number of updates (0=full update rate, 1=half, 2=one-third, 3=one-quarter, etc.)",
    "Steering effects strength":-10000,
    "Steering effects strength#":"-10000 to +10000, applies to all steering effects (torque, resistance, static spring, jolt, etc.)",
    "Steering resistance coefficient":0,
    "Steering resistance coefficient#":"Coefficient to use for steering resistance. Range: -1.0 to 1.0",
    "Steering resistance saturation":0,
    "Steering resistance saturation#":"Saturation value to use for steering resistance. Range: 0 - 1.0",
    "Steering resistance type":0,
    "Steering resistance type#":"0=use damping, 1=use friction",
    "Steering spring coefficient":0,
    "Steering spring coefficient#":"Static spring effect rate (-1.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering spring saturation":0,
    "Steering spring saturation#":"Static spring effect peak force (0.0 to 1.0)",
    "Steering torque capability":14,5 ... ( for my Accuforce)
    "Steering torque capability#":"The maximum torque capability of the wheel (in Nm, obviously)",
    "Steering torque extrap blend":0,
    "Steering torque extrap blend#":"Higher blends of extrapolated value allows driver to feel torque changes even when actual torque exceeds 'input max' (0.0=disables, 1.0=max)",
    "Steering torque extrap time":0.015,
    "Steering torque extrap time#":"Time in seconds to extrapolate steering torque based on current change (Range: 0.001 to 0.050. To disable, set 'blend' to 0.0)",
    "Steering torque filter":0,
    "Steering torque filter#":"Number of old samples to use to filter torque from vehicle's steering column (0-32, note that higher values increase effective latency)",
    "Steering torque minimum":0,
    "Steering torque minimum#":"Minimum torque to apply in either direction to overcome steering wheel's 'FFB deadzone' caused by friction",
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult":0.96,
    "Steering torque per-vehicle mult#":"Per-vehicle steering column torque multiplier (this is a copy of the .CCH value)",
    "Steering torque sensitivity":0.275,
    "Steering torque sensitivity#":"Sensitivity curve applied to representable torques: 0.0=low 1.0=linear 2.0=high",
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult":1,
    "Steering torque zero-speed mult#":"Multiplier at zero speed to reduce unwanted oscillation from strong static aligning torque",

I have an Accuforce; I think it is not very different from a Bodnar (at least in the .JSON file of rF2)

Greetings to everyone

Binny likes this.
  17. danalm

danalm Registered

Why do you change the torque linearity? That's like giving up the main advantage of DD wheels. Or is the Accuforce that non-linear and you're correcting it this way?

18. Tr51

Tr51 Registered

This is a long, long story.
    But in fact many owners of AccuForce are Mige OSW adopt this value.
    The information \ study \ research is by Paul Loatman (there is a very long discussion ... somewhat dated in the forum)
    I after many tests, I opted for this value (it's great)

Binny likes this.
  19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Thanks danalm

I've got quite attached to my profile
    But will give yours a try too!
    Thanks for uploading

Re.linier line -I've never messed with this but happy to test

20. Zizza

Zizza Registered

i'm at work right now but if i don't remember wrong for my osw with small mige and ionicube i use
    gain 7.3
    max force 100%
    overall filter 4
    no other effect
    in .json i have changed sts to 0.275 and obviously steering torque capability to 20

but i need to adjust the ffb mult in game car by car for eliminate clipping...

this give me the best result

Tr51 likes this.