1108 Beta - Shadow flickering and artefacts

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Sachmo-Aus, May 4, 2017.

1. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Hi all,

Firstly, awesome work with updating rFactor 2 - exciting to see! Full praise to the Studio 397 team for they're efforts to date, and excited to see what comes in future. I hope the below provides some feedback on an issue I'm experiencing which may in some way contribute to product improvement sometime along the way.

The issue I'm experiencing is shadow flickering (shadows in the right place, but flicker between shadows being on and off) and shadow artefacts (where shadows seem to be showing up in the wrong place on the screen). I've done some testing and found a situation in which the flickering and artefacts do not occur - for those looking to cut to the solution here, the game worked perfectly if I used the StockCars (I used this as a test vehicle as I knew it has been updated alongside the Beta). For the StockCars I could not find a situation where the flickering or artefacts occurred. I have not tested the other vehicles that were released alongside the Beta to confirm the pattern (apologies). This leads to the question as to whether or not all the Cars need to be updated in some way to be compatible with the 1108 Beta...?

I've focused on testing variations of settings on my favourite track, Bathurst, using a few different cars (FVR's V8 Supercars, Formula ISI 2012 vehicles, and StockCars). The variations of settings I used were to try different levels of details for Shadows and Shadow Blur, as well as VSync on/off, Anti-Aliasing full and off, Refresh Rate (50Hz/60Hz) and the new DX11 drop downs in the pre-game menus (from Off to Ultra and in between). I'm not a guru by any means in graphics dev, so some of these settings were a guess as to what might have an impact.

The setting changes (other than turning shadows off altogether) did not fix the flickering. If I drove very slowly (eg. less than 40kmph) the shadows were fine. However as I sped up teh flickering would start, and eventually (eg. around 100kmph) the shadows were pretty much off permanently. However, with reduced graphics quality settings I had to drive a bit faster (eg. 80kmph instead of 40 kmph) before the flickering effects started.

When using my preferred cars (the FVR V8 Mod) the flickering only seems to occur when outside the cockpit view; when in the cockpit everything works fine. When using the Formula ISI 2012 vehicles there would be shadow issues no matter whether in the cockpit, bonnet, or vehicle-less view (and there were also extensive shadow artefacts in this view). When in the StockCars, as per above, everything worked fine no matter what view I was in, and no matter what quality of video settings I used (everything fine when pushed to max).

Hope these observations assist others or the devs.

Cheers,
    Sachmo

P.S. As part of testing I completely uninstalled rFactor 2, deleted folders/files off disk, and reinstalled. Also uninstalled/unsubscribed from any HUD plugins I previously used. Also tried deleted the files within the CBash and Shaders folders. These things appeared to make no difference to the experience I had with shadows. However, the reinstall greatly enhanced other aspects - the frames per second seemed greatly improved and more graphics effects were showing up after I completed deleted and reinstalled.

P.P.S. I'm running a GTX 750 Ti Video Card. I'm actually quite impressed, even on full quality, how well rFactor 2 runs for the Beta. Not buttery smooth running full everything including Ultra, but still impressive. And buttery smooth with only a few minor downgrades in graphics quality. Nice work again to the Studio 397 team.

Stephane P likes this.
  2. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

I also had strange shadow artefacts but they seem to be fixed with the current updates .
    Thanks .

3. bwana

bwana Registered

Try updated mods

4. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Thanks, I'll try again. I did a bit of driving last night (Australian time) after the update came out. And the issues were the same. However I hadn't cleared the Shades, etc. I'll try again tonight to see how it goes. I don't believe the Bathurst track, nor FVR V8 Supercars (a great mod!) have been updated since the Beta came out.

I'm all good if the answer is that all tracks and all cars need some updating to be compatible. Don't mind waiting at all. Just not sure if that's the answer, or if something else is going on...

I'll try again and report back.

5. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Tried again (after clearing shaders and cbash folders, as well as updating to latest beta version) but the same symptoms exist as in my original post. I'll assume it is related to tracks and/or cars that need to be updated to be properly compatible with the Beta.

Happy to be corrected by anyone in the know, of course. Otherwise I'll wait it out and in the meantime time enjoy the great leaps already being made by the Studio 397 team.

Cheers

6. SimonJ

SimonJ Registered

7. Sachmo-Aus

Sachmo-Aus Registered

Fair call SimonJ. I'll turn down my settings and see if the future brings a fix, or the reality that my video card just ain't got the pretzel. Cheers