VR not launching

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Chillisteak, May 6, 2017.

1. Chillisteak

Chillisteak Registered

So I'm stumped I can't seem to launch the game in VR.
    The rFactor 2 launcher shows up in VR lovely, but when I either click to join a multiplayer session or the single player. I end up staring at what I assume is the Steam VR dashboard I say assume because I'm using the Rift and I've never looked at Steam VR.
    Suggestions on a fix would be appreciated.

2. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

You have to start the rF2 launcher BEFORE you start Steam VR otherwise rF2 won't load. Once Steam VR has started THEN select single or multi-player from the already opened rF2 launcher on your monitor. The main software should load into VR.

3. Chillisteak

Chillisteak Registered

Yep, tried that.
    Steam VR is on and showing that my headset and controller are connected, I launch the game and up pops the launcher menu in VR space.
    I select a game mode and up pops the RF2 logo, then I'm staring at the Steam VR menu.

4. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Slow down partner.
    1st step. start the rF2 launcher. Nothing else. (if steam VR is running in the background you MUST shut it down before starting step one.)
    2nd step. Now and only now select Steam VR from within steam.
    3rd step. Select single or mutli player heads from the already opened rF2 launcher.

If Steam VR is started any time BEFORE the rf2 launcher, then you will continue to get the results you describe above.

5. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

I have this exact problem as the OP. I follow the steps exactly as you say, I get the rF2 menu in VR, as soon as I click RACE it drops to Steam VR in the HMD. yet on screen is the VR rendering of the game.

SteamVR has a message in red: "rFactor2.exe not responding"

And yes, the exect order you suggest is being followed.

Same thing happens regardless of video settings, windowed, borderless, full sync/no-sync, aa/no-aa etc.

It's not my HMD, as all is fine in AC, R3E, Dirt Rally etc.

Running a 1070 with 382.05 & Oculus - anything in common Chillisteak?

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  6. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

It sounds like your having plugin conflicts. You need to disable ALL third party plugins from the main rF2 menu and then start the above process again.

It's been a common problem with peeps trying to get rF2VR running. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/problem-with-dx11.55455/#post-891300

Believe me I've had the exact same problems as stated by both of you. This fixed it for me.

Clemenca and pSynrg like this.
  7. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

Thanks, unfortuantely already done that.

Just Steamplugin.dll enabled.

8. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

As a last resort you can delete your 'player.json' file as this file contains several graphics settings. Delete it then start rF2 again. It will take longer to load up as it rebuilds the .json. (this is another step I had to do also) It will reset your in-game settings back to default so back it up then see if it works for you. You can always replace the rebuit .json with your backed up copy.

rFactor2\Userdata\player\player JSON

9. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

Will try next! Thanks.

An interesting observation is that rF2 refuses to grab proper full screen mode. This is with VR ticked or not. Full screen switch works fine in dev mode.

No change when renaming player.json.

This is definitely some kind of video issue. Especially with the SteamVR box showing in red :
    "(unresponsive) rFactor2.exe"

Just odd that me and OP are getting this.

After 500 attempts now I think I'll just have to accept no rF2 VR for me, yet :(

10. Marcel Sommer

Marcel Sommer Registered

I had same problems. After deleting the player Json file it works. I only have to alt tab when the track is loaded. Works good. But I can't play the game in vr because the performance is too bad. No probs with AC and R3E. I can now play on low settings oval races but road courses with over 5 cars no way. I have a Xeon CPU with gtx970.

11. pSynrg

pSynrg Registered

Well I've tried it all now. Including a complete reinstall, after cleaning up all traces in-between. Exactly the same thing happens.

It's dead to me right now :confused::confused::mad::(:(:(

12. Matthew Overton

Matthew Overton Registered

So I've had the same problem. Made sure SteamVR was not active, started launcher, started SteamVR, then into SP. All good so far and get good images for setting up the session options. On clicking RACE, VR gets hung up although the screen shows that rF2 is running and responding to the Oculus movement as well as the mouse. Same "(unresponsive) rFactor2.exe" message in red in the Steam VR box onscreen (not in the Oculus). I move the mouse into the SteamVR box, click on the message - this then turns into "rFactor2.ex" in white and I'm in the sim on Oculus. Very stuttery to start although this then resolves and same when I click RACE to jump into the car for the first few seconds. From there, normal running. Moving between car and the session management screens goes smoothly as long as I stay within the session. Exiting the session and then attempting to restart an identical one gets the same hangup. Same solution gets me VR inside the session with the initial stuttering for both the management screens and in-car.

So, workable but not the desired.

13. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

Make sure you have 'Post Effects' set to 'None' as this is a resource hog when it comes to VR. I also have a gtx970 and rF2 runs OK. Not great but OK. I also lowered the number of visible vehicles to 12.

14. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I'm just double checking here but what content are you using? There are quite a few of the third party mods having big issues. I can't get Longford with the T280 to run at all. Keeps crashing during loading. Not sure which one is causing the issue. Try the newly updated vanilla content for maximum compatibility (Indy 2014 around Indianapolis v1.9). Failing all of the above I'd contact support either through the launcher or here in the forums.