Steam workshop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, May 6, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

just been checking through the rfactor 2 steam workshop

It's a great system etc
    Some truely brilliant content mainly official ISI & 397's Nola

Most (not all) of the rest is truely dire in imo should be removed as it only gives rfactor 2 a bad name , some may lead new users to quick refunds on rfactor2

"Mods"/content should be quality checked prior to be added to steam workshop imo

Ps one of the mods I tried the pickup trucks I was amazed it was on the workshop at all ,
    it's truely dire ( fps / physics / ffb / graphics )

Quality not quantity and there's enough great stuff on there
    Loose the junk !

TheRock64, bluet, TassyDevil and 3 others like this.
  2. guga_cyr

guga_cyr Registered

Agree 100%!

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Who is gonna decide what is good and bad content though? Maybe someone enjoys a mod with not the latest CPM tire model or flex chassis, while another player will call it junk.

The bigger problem is, there's tons and tons of ripped content from other games in workshop, that would all have to be removed if someone from S397 "officially" gave an approval stamp. So no more ported tracks from AC then or mods like Ferrari Challenge 2011, which are popular but ripped.

Badboy likes this.
  4. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

That is what the rating system should be for. One of the biggest complaints in the past has been not enough quality content.
    You learn to know who is capable of quality content and who is not. Because of the complexity of modding you will always see differing quality. Even some of the popular mods have changed extensively over time from poor beginnings.
    Then you have what stonec said, who authorises what is quality.

5. guga_cyr

guga_cyr Registered

All valid points, what I like may not necessarily align with the likes/wants of the next guy - But there can't really be any denying that the state of the workshop at present, even in these relatively early stages (228 items I believe?), gives the impression of a game in a complete disarray...

Not only does the overall quality of the content vary wildly, but even things like original sources, naming conventions, version numbers, preview pics/vids, release notes etc etc are all over the place. I won't even get into the double ups....

I can easily see the casual gamer that doesn't play racing sims exclusively as I do write off rF2 completely at first taste if they happen to try it out with an unfinished (or unpolished) mod. With so many other options around, less invested gamers will (or already have?) throw rF2 into the 'too hard' basket... their loss, of course!

I think something along the lines of a "Hall of Fame" type collection as rFactor Central used to do back in the day would be the best way forward - have the selection panel made up of peeps from different modding groups to keep the selection process as rigorous as possible?

I'd do it myself of course, but I'm too busy racin' :cool:

6. mike.m

mike.m Registered

Well said, as a newb I was really disappointed with some of the content, I'm glad I did not give up!!!

Adrianstealth likes this.
  7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

think it's fairly obvious what's up to scratch & what is not ,I'm surprised the sub standard stuff actually made it there

8. Moe Faster

Moe Faster Registered

Open Source . . . let that sink in
    'cause if it feels good, they're gonna do it.
    & to ALL the modders out there
    thank you
    race on

9. Emery

Emery Registered

Why do you think you have to click on COMMUNITY in Steam client to get to the Workshop, eh? It's not the Studio 397 Workshop, not the ISI Workshop, though they have folders within.

10. 73_Dave_Martin

73_Dave_Martin Registered

The Truck mod is a work in progress, it's a beta. It was put on Steam so we could help test it and they've only just begun, so yes there's a lot of work to be done, we're trying to help them do that. Please don't judge it as a finished product.

11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Even though it can and will be seen as harsh is this crazy pc bs world,I agree,there should be a standard to meet before anything should be put in the workshop,maybe have a separate forum section where people can upload the not upto scratch mods and wips,as first impressions are key in any aspect of business,this would make sense.

No disrespect meant to any modder,but it does make sense

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

No disrespect to modders either
    In fact I admire & thank you for work

But I didn't know the truck mod on steam work shop was only half done
    & had I been new to rfactor 2 I would have taken it as. "This is rfactor 2"
    A lot if the mods on work shop is terrible ( maybe due to only half being done etc I know )
    Stuff on there is seen as part of rfactor2's overall package
    The terrible stuff is mixed in with the top quality stuff , not good

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Ultimately, this is where I ended up on all issues like these. It's unfortunate that junk has to populate the pool, but when you build up gatekeepers, it also creates issues. Just have to hope that there's a decent rating system and the cream rises to the top.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Right now with rfactor 2
    Ideally someone new has to know someone that's already using it

Otherwise it's quite a difilcult thing to get setup nicely & get into the decent content straight away

All the half finished stuff mixing with the quality stuff is just another obstacle

Do I even want to look at or try half finished content -no , only if I were a tester or the originator

15. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Your argument is invalid, rFactor is and never has been open source.

16. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

You guys just see the tip of the iceberg of what a MOD is. If you demand a work of excellence, be ready to pay for it.

Jake Loewenstein likes this.
  17. Fishey

Fishey Registered

There are lots of quality mods that are free, some even go way beyond and set the bar.
    Crappy Mods have always been around for a lot of game genres. Heck look at Abacus for MS Flight sim they were so crappy they made it to retail shelves! Some modders take criticism well and improve, others not so much.

Alex72 likes this.
  18. 73_Dave_Martin

73_Dave_Martin Registered

I agree, but currently we don't have a "development" area for mods that are WIP's.

19. Filip

Filip Registered

Message to the whiney OP and alikes:
    Nobody forces you to download stuff.
    If you dont like it, unsubscribe.

And for those new to the game who gave up rfactor without trying at least several stock items I couldnt care less about such types with goldfish attention span.
    Should I appreciate opinion of someone who couldnt find a reason to play rfactor in a current state of the game? No.

jayarrbee36, SPASKIS, Fishey and 2 others like this.
  20. whip

whip Registered

I'd agree with you if the game wasn't so barebones and didn't rely on mods for content