Lost ton of fps with DX 11 with titan x (SOLVED !)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jmoog121, May 2, 2017.

1. jmoog121

jmoog121 Registered

Seems I've lost almost half of my fps at sebring with 50 cars in the back of the pack
    I know it was cpu limited when I had 5820k but upgraded (downgrade?) to 7700k and got up to 55 fps with GT3 WS mod at sebring in the back of the pack.
    Now with dx11 I get 30 to 35 fps with gpu at 33% on ultra.
    It seems when the scene is not cpu bound I get higher, highest framerate but when cpu limited I get WAY LOWER than dx9.
    I know it's beta and will be better with time but disappointing given the huge anticipation of the api change. Especially with very little in the way of graphical upgrade (think other dx11 racing titles), I was hoping for performance uptick.
    My 2c

2. muz_j

muz_j Registered

some ideas to check off and make sure you have read the release notes from the developer:

1) disabling any plug-ins
    2) you could experiment with deleting the shader folder and the other one mentioned in the release notes
    3) Nvidia geforce 3d application settings - I'd probably start with resetting those back to defaults and not forcing anything on the executable while you test DX11 - that's what I'll be doing.
    4) how old is your geforce graphics driver?

3. jmoog121

jmoog121 Registered

I've done all that and more...
    Seems like optimization is needed at this point

4. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

Yeah I'm sorry to complain but...
    - went from massive high FPS 100+ everywhere, all conditions, x16 and maxxed settings to:
    - low 40s everywhere, all conditions, x8 and med/low settings

on top of that -
    1. every single barrier glows with excessive bloom
    2. there is slow downs with bigger trackside objects, even with circuit detail turned down
    3. there is shimmering/bursting in many many places
    4. there is horrible low fps in the server screen until you change screen from 'standings' to garage or something else. then it suddenly becomes OK
    5. there is no real visual acuity improvement in most places, only huge amounts of bloom
    6. the tonal balance...i mean...does anyone remember ISI releasing earlier and having this issue? then they fixed the tone maps etc? because, the sky looks wrong, the barriers glow (lol), the cars look too bright, the colours elsewhere look washed out. everything's either too much blue or too much green.
    7. For goodness sakes the BLOOM. Can we please get rid of this? it's absolutely utterly ridiculous to see trackside barriers literally glowing with light rays coming off them. Goodness knows what this does to VR users with CV1 and vive. They must be getting punished.

this to me, is not a good update. I'm rolling back. This sim is all about smooth FPS and if you can't improve the graphics while keeping things smooth, then don't improve the graphics.

for what its worth, this is on an overclocked 1070 with a high end i7. the same situation with my secondary sim rig which is an overclock 1060 on a 4.6ghz fx8350.

both machines have the exact same visual problems and terrible performance. Roll back...

Domi likes this.
  5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Sebring is possibly the worst track of any to test dx11 - particulary using PPE. Use official updated content for proper conclusion.

6. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

so? I'm not using Sebring, I've used 5 different ISI tracks and 2 third party tracks. it's all the same. this update is not good.

how much actual testing was done on this update? no wonder it's being called beta guys..

7. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"Seems I've lost almost half of my fps at sebring with 50 cars in the back of the pack", " with GT3 WS mod" (not official content) - one can only refer to what you post...

David Turnbull likes this.
  8. bwana

bwana Registered

Yet there are those that are reporting great results. Confusing to say the least .. I've not bothered to try just yet as l had a feeling it wouldn't really make a huge difference to my preferences . I can imagine the crew at S397 will be working feverishly to sort it out

9. TravisRoe666

TravisRoe666 Registered

Err..show me one person reporting 'great results' and with some evidence of FPS and settings...x86 PCs with Win10, NVidia cards and Intel CPUs are the absolute standard that things need to run properly on. AMD CPU and NVidia card + Win8.1 is the next lower standard, and even then it is awful.

This is performing exactly like a 2015 pre-optimisation build that ISI released where everything had bloom, everything was tonally incorrect, and the FPS were smashed.

I dont want to be negative and I hope Studio 397 will sort this all out. For now I strongly, strongly recommended reverting to non beta and letting your eyes bathe in the relative glory, of a realistic looking racetrack with sharp edges and nice colour tones and super super smooth FPS. There is a different but to be honest the old version looks better, even if its slightly less detailed in some very minor ways..

Adding DX12(/11) to get VR libraries to include VR in the product is great but I'm not sure why the graphics took such a massive dive. There can't have been much pre-release testing.

Everyone in the VR thread is reporting terrible performance too, they just dont realise when they fire up on their old 1080p screen it'll also be terrible performance.

It really irritates me when there's an obvious issue with a beta product and then there's always the staunch defenders. This was tried on multiple PCs, multiple operating systems, multiple video cards, and has many people in both VR and normal screen configs reporting the same set of issues. One or two people who consider theirs is 'good now' don't matter - they have higher tolerances to screen artifacts and FPS obviously. Regardless, there are serious issues, I recommend a rollback, do whatever you want :)

10. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I have about 30% gain from dx9 to dx11, you can see my specs. in my profile. But this is (obviously) compared with no PPE. I do however get some bad stutters, also had issues with them in dx9 but it seem to have worsened.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Well ............. me! :D
    Win10 (incl. Creators Update), Setting rF2 to 2560x1080@144Hz, Fullscreen, AA=4x, Post-Effects=none
    Runs super smooth with 100+ fps.

kimbo, bwana and muz_j like this.
  12. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

13. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I'm using quite a new Nvidia driver. 381.xx (just don't remember the exact version number yet)

14. edwardjamesgrey

edwardjamesgrey Registered

Literally downloading and converting now.. ill post feedback a.s.a.p

15. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Just a heads up...

When I set Post Effects to "Ultra", I get higher FPS on my GTX 1070 than having them set to "High" !

This is on Win10 x64 with Creators Update apllied and nVidia driver version 381.65

F1Aussie and muz_j like this.
  16. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Ummm, I've seeing a variation of performance from people. My own testing over the last couple of hours has shown me through direct evidence that i'm getting pretty damn good performance on the DX11 beta. I'm running a 6 GB GTX 1060 Ti, using 1080p and I've got the post processing set to ultra, level 5 anti aliasing and some more settings forced via the GPU drivers. I have video evidence recorded using shadow-play to back up what I'm saying. So early days yet for DX11, but I'm more than happy. The lighting effects look much better in my opinion. so no rolling back for me....I'm sticking with DX11 and there's more performance to be had from my PC via GPU driver tweaks and possibly tweaking the in game settings. AMD card owners seem to be effected worse than Nvidia, from what I've seen over the last day.

F1Aussie, WiZPER and Ernie like this.
  17. muz_j

muz_j Registered

I'm not a staunch defender - but as is, given it's a beta, I'm very happy with things.
    So you should appreciate that not everyone is having the same experience as you.
    Rollback and play it under DX9 while the bugs get ironed out. But criticising others with no information at all of what they are experiencing isn't really valid in my opinion. Nor is making sweeping generalisations about what others may or may be experiencing.

Does the beta version need tweaking?....absolutely, but I'm playing with some pretty damn good performance as is - average FPS of about 55, up to about 75. Previously that was likely 75 to 80+.
    ...anyway, I'm heading back to do some more racing :)

kimbo, bwana, Ernie and 1 other person like this.
  18. edwardjamesgrey

edwardjamesgrey Registered

Did a quick test around Toban raceway.. Can anyone recommend a few good tracks to test on... and which cars maybe?
    Mine is running perfectly with no FPS loss at all.
    Few pics with the F1 2017's... I personally think the lighting looks slightly improved. Gives mine a little bit more of a polished look IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. kro388th

kro388th Registered

Seems players keeping the screen rez down have better results with the DX11beta ?.. I tried it in 4k with the same settings as the DX9 install ,and went from 130fps in DX9 to 22FPS with the DX11 ..also suffering from the stutter and bloom as mentioned above ..in fact post 4 describes what I have almost exactly .. I tested US200 @ Silverstone on a NVID1080 ..

Im rolling back and enjoying the new build as it looks & plays great in 4k anyway .. I can wait !

20. bwana

bwana Registered

Been jumping forums all day reading, quite a few are very happy. Im not going searching again just to prove it too you . do it yourself, its as I said , quite varying in many peoples view. great for some and not for others. guess you an 'other' deal with it .

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    kimbo likes this.