Oculus Rift CV1 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by MarcG, Nov 1, 2016.

1. mark7

mark7 Registered

Hi all, can anyone confirm if the Oculus Rift CV1 will work with only USB 2.0 ports?
    Looking to try out by ordering from Amazon but my PC USB 3.0 ports have failed the Oculus test!
    Thanks in advance, Mark.

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Mine failed too, I had to go to device manager and disable the one it mentions that failed as all my others are 3.0, so double check all your USB drivers/Ports.
    oh and yes 2.0 does work but whether there's a latency issue I'm not sure, a google search can help you there :)

3. Magus

Magus Registered

My headset plugs into the motherboards USB 3.0 port but my sensors do not work and only connect via 2.0 ports.

4. F1Fan07

F1Fan07 Member

I had that problem with a 1st gen USB 3.0 chipset. A cheap USB 3.0 card (the inateck one is recommended on the Oculus site) will get you up and running. Use Windows drivers, not manufacturers though.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  5. mark7

mark7 Registered

Thanks guys, ordered with the Inatech usb card just in case!
    Looking forward to setting up for Mondays RF2 release:)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just to bounce what I wrote about below in the first post, I'd say recently I've past the 550 Hour mark in terms of VR usage, so to me that's £1 per Hour of Enjoyment which means it's paid for itself after roughly 9 months (It's how I work out a lot of purchases in life...except for beer which is £4.50 for 30minutes...!).
    I foresee many hundreds of more hours which will bring the initial cost down even lower, well happy :D

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

RIFT just been delivered will be trying rf2 tonight!!! cant wait!

8. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Why is this sooooo exciting? Even for someone who has had one for more then three years.

I have to be careful here, because, if I say too many good things and you put it on for the first time and get dizzy while having your eye ripped apart by aliasing because nothing is set yet you may think we are all crazy! But, if you can get past that, it really is a fun experience. Even three years ago with my first DK2 and my GTX980 I still thought it was pretty cool! I spent the hole weekend reading through all the threads and trying and failing and swearing. I was soooo close to virtual reality and "my head mounted device was not recognized by Windows"!! But once I learnt how to force Oculus into "direct mode" I was getting my eyes ripped apart by aliasing and I was sooo amazed.

Well! I hope I didn't say anything wrong to spoil your your first vr experience. Let us know how it went? And don't be afraid to ask for help although it is much easier now! :)

LokiD likes this.
  9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

well as i posted over at reiza

well had to send back VR wearing glasses i got bad eye strain. Really bad, not to mention pretty uncomfortable.... And that resolution far too low for something that near your eyes.(even with capable amount of ss applied) It's amazing and the immersion is the best. But the cost is poor visuals. VR with better resolutions will be unstoppable. For now, too early in tech to beat flats in a overall basis.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    vegaguy5555 and patchedupdemon like this.
  10. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I've tried my mates cv1 out a few times and I agree fully with what you say,vr is the future,but with the resolution it has now,it's not viable for me either,I don't wear glasses either.
    I wouldn't be able to ignore or adapt to such poor visuals,my brain is messed up as it is lol

vegaguy5555 and LokiD like this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Ya! I know what you mean. I'm split as well but still use it a lot latley. Thinking of putting the triples back in and seeing if there is a different between DX11 and 9.

12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

A Tale of Sound:

So almost exactly one year to the day from owning the Rift the Sound in the right ear suddenly stopped working, using the Rifts excellent headphones (they really are very good) it was an immediate worry and concern. I rushed to Google and it appears to be a common-ish "design flaw" in the Right Strap area where you extend the strap on/off your head. Like others had found there was a sweet spot where the Sound work work but it would inevitably cut out mid game, so I went to Oculus Support and filed a ticket.

A few days passed with back & forth e-mails regarding the issue, standard stuff really and their way of checking that I wasn't pulling a fast one. At the end of the conversation I was advised to box everything up and return the Rift for a replacement, which I sent off last Sunday (12th Nov, collection was actually 13th Nov) to wait what I thought would be a few weeks....I'm getting a replacement delivered tomorrow (20th Nov)....now thats service!

I have to say it was also service with a Smile, the Oculus Support staff during the e-mail process couldn't of been more helpful even though they were on the other side of the USA, so I had to time my e-mails right to get a response which usually came less than an hour later. My Rift was sent to somewhere in Holland (explains the quick turnaround) and 24hours after mine had been delivered to them I got the e-mail to say a Replacement was on the way, just hope it's delivered before I have to go to the Football tomorrow night otherwise I wont get it until Tuesday!

After my initial worry about the defect I sat back and put this down to being an early Tech design fault, long term usage brings up many little nuances and issues that no one knows about until much further down the line, like with an technical machinery I guess. The moral of the story is always check the Warranty, if you get a product that doesn't have one make sure you add it in otherwise you'll be at a loss and I'd be buying a new Rift right now!

In the meantime a new Facial Interface has arrived from VR Cover, this will (should) make the Rift more comfortable as it has a softer & larger Foam area to rest on my face. I also tried a few laps on the flat screen, whilst it was nice to see a better resolution the driving was just awkward at the start. I did get used to it after a couple of laps but knowing I was getting a replacement Rift very soon I began to lose interest, in the end I gave up and watched the AI battle around the streets of Adelaide instead :)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Is there a warranty we have to send in?

Off topic a little.....

I took off the faceplate and made a new mount using a bicycle helmet. I had an operation on my forehead right were the band sits and am forced to go back to the face plate. What I found was it's not just more comfortable but was a lot clearer and had way more field of view.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Dunno, I'm in the UK and apparently we get a Warranty for two years with the Rift anyway or something, might worth checking should anything go wrong.

vegaguy5555 likes this.