SSD upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Emery, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm adding a 2 TB SSD today because my 1 TB hard disk is getting low on space and I don't mind the extra speed. I would sure appreciate some suggestions for how to best configure it with Win10, Steam, rF2, etc.

2. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Hi, Emery.

That depends on how your actual system is configured, especially whether or not your HDD is split into partitions and if you were always using the default paths when installing software and games.

The easiest way would be to migrate (duplicate) your HDD onto the SSD and most SSDs come bundled with such a software.

After that process is finished, you should plug the SSD into the SATA port that your HDD was connected to, leave the HDD detached and try to boot from your SSD.

If all goes well, you could reattach your HDD and use it for example as an additional storage to hold your backups etc.

In my case, I had all my games installed in "D:\games" (on one of my internal RAIDs) and when I upgraded to a 1TB SSD, I renamed "games" to "games-old", mounted the SSD into "D:\games", copied all files from "games-old" and hence the system didn't need any additional adjustments and I enjoyed the speed boost.

I hope that gets you going, but feel free to ask back, if you have further questions.

:)

Cheers,
    Max

3. Emery

Emery Registered

I'm planning on a full reconfig to take advantage of SSD's strengths & rectify the weaknesses. Suggestion so far is a 128 GB Windows boot partition with a backup copy on the hard drive to refresh as needed.

Since it will be a full reconfig, I'm also interested in hearing about ways to configure Steam & rF2 so that userdata isn't stuffed deep inside the Steam folder. And hopefully do similar for other sims.

4. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

Do you mean "full reconfig" as a fresh installation from ground up ?

In that case, 128GB might be a bit slim for your system partition and I wouldn't go any lower than 256GB.
    Especially UWP can get out of control, unless you manually point it to use a different partition.
    Eg. Gears of War 4 ate up +60GB of my system drive.

However, if you're partitioning your SSD, you might consider installing all your games in a dedicated subdirectory on the other partition (like I did in d:\games) to avoid cluttering the root folder.

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Ok I gotta ask,how much is a 2TB ssd these days

6. Emery

Emery Registered

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

677 holy moly :eek:

8. suryaprihadi

suryaprihadi Registered

I sure hope Samsung 850 EVO is unlike its cousin 840 EVO for the long run.
    In the last 18 months, I thrown away 3 x 1TB 840 Evo and 1 of 500GB , because I was dumb not to realize Samsung 840 TLC memory cell has problem and Samsung did issue a fix.
    I bought the 3 of 1TB in USA, Amazon, during a trip to the US in 2014 because it was like 1/2 the price I would pay in my country. Anyway, warranty matters I don't really care. Too far to claim.:(

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9196/samsung-releases-second-840-evo-fix
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8617/...e-to-fix-the-ssd-840-evo-read-performance-bug

Cross our fingers, hopefully 850 EVO won't be like 840 in 2 years.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2998...ng-problem-storage-makers-dont-advertise.html

3 x 1TB ( 2014, USA ) for my laptop and kids laptop and 1 of 500GB ( 2015, local source ) for my #1 PC C:drive.

All these 4 of 840 EVOs are a mess, the 1TBs will not boot or sometime will boot .
    The 500GB was so slow as a boot drive, it causes so much problem for me. All these dumb-azz Samsung problem within 6 to 18 months of use. The 6 months one, is the 500GB.

Lucky me, my #2 PC with Samsung 840EVO 1TB and 500GB as video drives... I did not yet throw them away, as I don't use that PC much and it has other HDDs and Corsair PCIE SSD as C: drive .The above info I linked, I only learnt of it yesterday:mad:. Thanks to sim games, I am actually googling more on Samsung SSD issue and found out the TLC memory problem. The new firmware and optimization process did well. Can u imagine, went bad to 15 MB/sec speed ? Yep that bad.

I too wanted to move my steam games now from my Corsair PCIE SSD C: drive which is only 240GB and when I saw 15 MB/sec speed after merely only 3GB of data out of 20GB into the 500GB 840 Evo,...... then I googled:D

12 to 18 months ago, I thought those 4 of 840 Evo was surely a goner and I simply threw them away. I mean it is solid state, I thought there is no slowing down to such a degree. Bad sectors, yes... immediate death like my microSD cards will be most likely... but this Samsung 840 TLC memory problem is so unexpected.:eek:

9. Max Dralle

Max Dralle Registered

10. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I can also recommend Crucial MX. Beter price and more reliable than Samsung it seems.