Latest Roadmap Update - April 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Apr 20, 2017.

1. DmitryRUS

DmitryRUS Registered

The picture again raises questions, the length of the shadows, the darkness of the environment. The camera is not aimed at the light. Why is it dark?

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Shadows are long because sun is almost gone.

You don't have to force the exposure to make the sunset environment light looking like noon. That is an arbitrary action, which is wrong, and also going to make the brighter area (sky) glowing.

If you keep adding f stops to make sunset and sunrise to have similar output as noon it's just plain wrong.

Sorry I can't explain better than this.

rhamm likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Here's a thought, wait until next week and see it working for yourself instead of crying over spilt screenshots!

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It may not be that simple lol

They can push updates to clients through steam, and that needn't mean a new build number. And a change in AI code doesn't break compatibility, because on a server the server does the AI. So, they could fix that AI behaviour in 1108, probably do the same for the dx11 beta, and then any dedicated servers would need to be updated in order to also have the fixed AI - but players could play on a server that's patched or not patched.

I would avoid drawing any conclusions :)

jayarrbee36 and AceLain like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ECAR_Tracks I'm sure Tuttle and the other devs go outside occasionally, so if it looks right to them it can't be far away. The issue could be one of monitor calibration, which varies wildly between user PCs (and monitor response, which may vary even more).

6. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not just as simple as simulating a camera. Take for example the case with a camera placed inside a dark cockpit (screen below). Do you want the entire sky to be white in the game, because IRL the camera auto exposure works that way? Compromises have to be made.

[​IMG]

elcoco and Emery like this.
  7. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

6 days guy's 6 days!!!
    [​IMG]

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

"Light. We see it every day, and just like how we see light, a camera does the same thing. In dim light, our pupils dilate to bring in more light, so we can see better. In bright light, our pupils contract to restrict the amount of light so we can see without being blinded. A camera will do this same thing. The aperture of a lens is the opening at which light passes through. For most lenses, this opening can change based on the camera’s settings. These opening have been standardized into specific sizes, called aperture stops, or F-stops."

When we drive our cars, our eyes are supposed to target the road/windshield, so that is where our pupils are adjusting. We have set an exposure area in a secure zone (just for the cockpit cam), which is in between the road and the sky, so where your eyes are supposed to focus, searching for the apex. So yes, we did set the cockpit to work more "eye" like, with just brightness adjustment, no DOF, No lenticular Flare, No Lens aberrations etc. Just brightness adjustment, which is by the way running in a realistic way, since we don't want a -20/+20 stops range, just to make everything looking totally noon, all the time. That would be a nonsense.

[​IMG]
    Similar it's happening when you switch to track cams, but in this case Exposure it's adjusted to balance the entire frame, and that aspect is affecting other optical effects, as lens flare, aberrations, depth of field etc...

[​IMG]

Jego, Ernie and Nimugp like this.
  9. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Interesting stuff.

I wouldn't be naive enough to think ISI would redirect entire GFX development because one forum post of mine or of anyone... :) Obviously that was not my point and it also would be non sense. And also the picture I used as example is artificially over-exposed, but it was just to underline the dark environment (IMHO)

I'm not new in these racing simulators subject and I know since since immemorial rF1 times that ISI has their way of work (which is: we are always right), that's OK for me, it's a philosophy of doing things and avoid workarounds. I respect the choice since you were able to create the best racing sim currently available on the market but my concern is to see some simulators using rF1 engine looking better than a way improved product as rF2. Yes, it's a subjective opinion but there're plenty of people agreeing with this point which is a point for critical reflection maybe.And, again, there's nothing to do with modelling, texturing or manpower which are great, the point of concerning is GFX engine as itself.

Marc Collins and Guimengo like this.
  10. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

When the dx11 build is a beta, are my mods still there?
    My plan is to do a completely fresh install of rf2. Does the beta recognize the subscribed mods?

11. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I think it uses the same packages folder so yes

Nitrometh likes this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think, what Studio 397/ISI tried/tries to achieve is an lighting engine respecting physical laws. The nice thing for me is, that it tricks my brain into thinking that I am looking out of the windshield of a real car when I drive in the sim. It's hard to exmplain and I can't point my finger on it, but that's how I percieve the image when driving despite everything looking a bit dull in the current version. Another game that does this very well, is iRacing, even just from watching videos. When watching replays or just looking at screenshots of rF2 that "optical ollusion" falls apart due to how the game is scaling everything and the LODing currently. That said, I don't find PCars realistic looking when I drive it, nor does the PCars 2 screenshot look realistic to my eyes. It looks fantastic without a question, but that's more due to the art style of the game. It has allmost a cartoony and cinematic look to it and in that sense the term "art" fits more the artifial style of the shot. At the end I haven't seen a single game where I thought: damn this looks photorealistic, despite a few sim shots using DOF. The FR 3.5 banner on the facebook page is one of them for example.

On of the big problems is that people have different eyes with different capabilities, different hardwares and even their brains process images in different ways. That said, I can't understand people who find AMS to be the more real looking game. It looks very good for what the engine is capable of, but it looks very cartoony.

Regarding the rF2 screenshot in question, it would be the best to get someone to Mores, make a photo with the exact same camera settings at the exact same poisition and TOD to judge how realistic the image really is. because otherwise it is just a personal impression and a question of if we like the image or not.

elcoco, Emery, bwana and 2 others like this.
  13. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

would be great a pic from car cockpit during gameplay...just to know how it looks, but the update is near so...

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

A vid or GIF would be great .

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

some kind of vid would be great

Marc Collins likes this.
  16. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  17. Flaux

Flaux Registered

A vid would be cool. #dom

Domino Duhan likes this.
  18. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Yep. Very cool :)

19. Depco

Depco Registered

I concur. A video would be appetite whetting... or maybe just teasing... I still would like it. Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

5 days !!!