First RF2 VR pics posted

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Apr 12, 2017.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I thought i missed another delay . Seeing as we are just around the corner from May 1st i just thought the talk about delays we referring to current news .
    Phew .

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Where does it say it was solely "delayed for VR"? The last roadmap doesn't state this at all, it was delayed for lots of areas.

And I quote:
    "We decided to take the time to really bring together all of the newly developed elements – UI, VR, and DX11. Although this puts us slightly behind our targeted “end of Q1” release date, we promise you it will be worth the wait."

PaulG and WiZPER like this.
  3. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Exactly. Only the developers can speak to how hard it is to implement OpenVR into their proprietary engine, but generally speaking, OpenVR is usually the least difficult of the three by a significant margin. Of course they might be doing optimizations, which could complicate things greatly. But even if that's the case, EVERYONE will benefit from optimizations to make the game run better.

If we're going verbalize annoyances, I'd say I'm plenty annoyed that the last couple of years have had a bunch of content/tweaks that I could careless about and didn't play for one second (at the expense of VR). Funny how that works? When somebody else is getting what they want, it's an annoyance. When you get what you want, it's VITAL. It's a pretty narcissistic view to whine about these things in such strong terms.

RaceNut and bwana like this.
  4. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

"At expense of... " is simply incorrect, any way it goes. Content creators are not the same guys who do coding. And VR has never been a thing for ISI, ever - S397 however...

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Vr users are growing fast

most friends I know (who are PC hobbyist ) now have vr or about to go VR

Static monitors are old hat now
    & Zero immersion in comparison imo + sim racing on a monitor now it's 2017 should be criminalised

vittorio likes this.
  6. sg333

sg333 Registered

What an absurd opinion

7. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

now THAT is the most ridiculous thing I've read in simracing forums
    what
    the
    heck

(please tell me this is sarcasm) :D

F1Fan07 and jayarrbee36 like this.
  8. sg333

sg333 Registered

I'm especially annoyed because I just got my 34" ultrawide today and I am in love with it ;)

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I'd love to have ultrawide monitor, they are very very cool. But if I end up buying next version of any of the VR headset, be it Vive2 or CV2, there is no point for me in buying ultrawide monitor (maybe if they become so mainstream that prices go down to standard 16:9 monitor. Which is possible in upcoming years but for sure not this year and most likely not going to happen next year)

10. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, growing fast as in 0.4% of Steam users now owning a VR device, while it used to be 0.3% when I checked in winter. Meanwhile 5% own a GTX 1070 or 1080, which is similar "high-end hardware".

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Please stop with your constant over the top love for VR, it needs to be toned down...severely! Static monitors do provide immersion, yes VR is the next step up but it is not for everyone nor is it anywhere near the norm for 2017 or even 2018 I'd bet. As a VR only Sim user now I appreciate that VR still has a long way to go before it could even become mainstream, it's still many years away from overtaking static monitors as the #1 choice of sim users be it racing or flying. As Steam stats prove, VR users are a vast minority currently and will remain so for a long time to come.

ericRacer, peterchen, bwana and 2 others like this.
  12. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Don't discount that many Steam accounts are barely active - if used at all. We have several in our family that don't get used so we can cherry-pick stats all day. If you don't think VR is gaining ground everyday among Sim-racers, then you are purposely ignoring it - after-all, change is harder for some to accept.

On any given day, someone says VR has already failed and there is no doubt that it's adoption is a slow gradual process consisting of many moving parts but, despite some very vocal opposition including some in the media, there are signs that it continues to make advances. The bigger gains will come when AR reaches the larger market for more practical everyday use; the gaming aspect is only a tiny part of the overall picture.

13. PaulG

PaulG Registered

It's definitely separated. And like I said, I don't know how hard it is to implement Open VR into a proprietary engine. But for things like Unity, the code Valve has released is extremely elegant. Again, maybe it sucks in this situation, but I'd still hazard to guess that it was relatively minor in comparison to the much larger issues of UI and DX11. Things that VR absolutely required, but which everyone also benefits from.

EDIT: Just to make sure it doesn't seem like I'm avoiding the point, with regards to that, a lot of those updates weren't related to content. And were things that I would have never in a million years noticed if they weren't printed in the release notes. Maybe others did, but for me, whoosh.

14. vittorio

vittorio Registered

At least I had to LOL. Nobody else with humor on this forum? :D

Adrianstealth likes this.
  15. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

Well I, for one, am very much looking forward to getting VR...

... this way the vocal VR user base will have to find something else to rant about :D

jayarrbee36 and vittorio like this.
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

(-:

17. Emery

Emery Registered

LOL... You compel me to wonder what Spinelli is using these days... I recall he had triple 3D-ready monitors with the nVidia glasses a couple years ago.

18. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Confirmed VR still coming May 1st

19. Tom Satherley

Tom Satherley Registered

Hope i can run 2.0x super samples like in assetto corsa :D

20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'll be starting very low settings all round & gently step up little by little !