Oculus Rift CV1 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by MarcG, Nov 1, 2016.

1. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

. . . not to forget the anti "VR Mafia" protests that followed. :eek::)

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Ha! I never knew anything about this, perhaps the riot caused the devs to change their minds & get VR working with AC they did a decent job too apart from replay controls & fairly poor directional sound
    (Although poor directional sound is better than fixed sound )

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Please stop with the Game X vs Game Y crap, this thread is designed to inform others of the benefits and pit falls of VR, thanks :)

4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Sorry! You're right!

I'm still in awe of rF2's physics and the thought of experiencing it with VR is pretty exciting.

Adrianstealth likes this.
  5. mark7

mark7 Registered

Really wanting to use VR but its all disconected and back in the box now!
    Was fortunate enough to be given a HTC Vive a couple of weeks ago and have searched loads of forums looking to find a cure for the motion sickness!
    Tried using a few minutes at a time to gain my VR legs but even after that time I feel really sick which lasts for a couple of hours after!
    Any other ideas before I give up?
    Ta Mark.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I've always been fine with sim racing BUT MAKE SURE CAR COCKPIT IS FIXED TO YOUR VIEW
    any silly g force effect will send you in a puke spin really quick, zero bad effects if set right
    DCS flight again same applied
    Onward military sim is fine which surprised me as I tried HL2 in VR and that made me feel awful

make sure you have things set right and you'll be fine, make sure you run lower settings so every thing smooth and fluid too

7. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I don't know if Steam uses a VR-rating system like that of Oculus Home but, there are VR-experiences that can ease users into VR over time. Nobody likes being sick (well, there is one guy asking for something in VR that will make him sick but, that's just twisted imo o_O).

I've heard that Oculus has better software and games for people new to VR and it makes sense given how careful they are about putting titles in their VR library. Having a rating system offers users a way to search out games / experiences that reduce the likely-hood of illness. That probably doesn't help you much but, if you are determined enough, there may still be hope for you and VR.

8. Comante

Comante Registered

I've read that ginger does wonders to mitigate the side effect of motion sickness, obviously this is not a solution, but it could help you give another chance to vr before giving (or throwing) up. I'm pretty sure you tried a lot of stuff, but I think the most common issues are related to finding the correct eye distance and to keep the eyes straight. I assume your PC is powerful enough to feed a good and even framerate to your VR. I really hope you solve your issue, because I tried VR only once and I've been dizzy for good 24 hours, but I just popped the oculus on my head and nobody helped me setting it correctly. Despite this I really really hope to own one someday... and to not be sick with it. So, if you can solve your problem, I hope you let us know.

9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Sea/Flight/Car-sickness pills? try them might help, local pharmaceutical store will have them :)

10. mark7

mark7 Registered

Will try again tonight with a bucket to hand!
    Any tips on Assetto Corsa With VR?
    Thanks ,Mark

11. Magus

Magus Registered

Make sure you are at 90fps, as large fluctuations in frames won't help you at all, dial down your graphical settings dependent on your pc. Not sure what system you have but AC is actually quite good at holding its frames with relatively high settings. The only thing that really will set the frames back are reflections, worth turning them right down. Also PP effects can be quite taxing so might want to turn those off. I don't have a problem with track driving games like AC and motion sickness but I have heard the Real Head Motion plugin is very useful for those that do.
    Saying that, I do get the motion sickness playing Dirt Rally, but that is primarily because of my atrocious driving there and going off/reversing/constantly correcting it makes me feel sick after 10mins. So saying that, it is always helpful to know the track and not be crashing, spinning and needing to reverse, as they can all throw the brain off. Hope that helps.

Here are my Graphics Settings using a 980Ti & 3930K

[VIDEO]
    FULLSCREEN=0
    ANISOTROPIC=16
    AASAMPLES=4
    VSYNC=0
    AAQUALITY=1
    SHADOW_MAP_SIZE=2048
    DISABLE_LEGACY_HDR=1
    FPS_CAP_MS=0
    WIDTH=1920
    HEIGHT=1200
    REFRESH=0
    INDEX=0

[CAMERA]
    MODE=OCULUS

[EFFECTS]
    MOTION_BLUR=12
    FXAA=0
    SMOKE=3
    RENDER_SMOKE_IN_MIRROR=0

[CUBEMAP]
    SIZE=512
    FACES_PER_FRAME=0
    FARPLANE=500

[MIRROR]
    SIZE=1024
    HQ=0

[ASSETTOCORSA]
    HIDE_ARMS=0
    LOCK_STEER=0
    WORLD_DETAIL=5
    HIDE_STEER=0

[SATURATION]
    LEVEL=100

[POST_PROCESS]
    ENABLED=0
    HEAT_SHIMMER=1
    RAYS_OF_GOD=1
    FXAA=1
    QUALITY=5
    GLARE=5
    DOF=5
    FILTER=default

Oculus Settings:

[SETTINGS]
    AUTOSELECT_RIFT_AUDIO_DEVICE=1
    PIXEL_PER_DISPLAY=1.5

[MIRROR_TEXTURE]
    ENABLED=1

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  12. mark7

mark7 Registered

Thanks for the help guys but I admit defeat!
    Tried everything this week and cannot even bring myself to try the Vive again, even typing this and thinking about it makes me feel ill!
    I think i'll skip this generation of VR and return to my 40" screen and may try Track IR/ Edtracker for now.
    Oh and if anyone in the South of England wants a HTC Vive cheap please PM me.
    Thanks Mark.

13. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

One of the very basic lines of inquiry I have where either a RIFT or VIVE is concerned is in regard to calibration--how to "do" it, and how accurate can I not only assume it is, but actually "verify" it is (or not). To give an example: Suppose I plonk a common object like a basketball (I suppose I could as easily say "Lotus 49 or Porsche 911 steering wheel" too) down three feet in front of me and then--very carefully--measure the viewing angle (the sweep) it subtends in front of me. I know what a basketball looks like, and I just described how to verify what a basketball looks like when it's "life-size" in front of me. If I move it twice as far away, it's subtended angle gets smaller. If I bring it up very close I can see each grain on the cover in great detail, and the closer I bring it the more it looks like the earth itself might look from the International Space Station...yadda, yadda. Hopefully you all get the idea.

Now what I want to do is to--very accurately--ensure that the "in-game" distance at which I see said basketball matches what I SHOULD see (mathematically)...to ensure the image is, indeed, truly life-size. Because the VIVE has an external camera, I can theoretically see how it might be done by setting the basketball up carefully in front of the VIVE and literally measuring things out, and then (perhaps) switching rapidly back and forth quickly enough to spot a "size discrepancy" between the rendered ball and the real one...

...but without a camera, I can't see how I might similarly calibrate a RIFT.

Anyone know? Or does documentation included with either headset go into this at all??

Thanks for any help filling this in for me.

CS

14. Magus

Magus Registered

Hi Christopher, I think I understand your line of query but the Rift also has cameras? I think what you are referring to is world-scaling.

With regards to racing games and distance from the steering wheel (in AC) I use the drivers animation to know whether the camera is properly distanced. So what I generally do is look left/right and ensure my shoulders line up with the drivers animation shoulders in hight and distance, & use the camera/view controls to align myself to the driver. This works great but on most occasions my physical steering wheel is a lot closer than what is perceived in front of my eyes (virtual wheel). However, once I start driving the brain seems to adjust between what is real vs what is perceived & it makes no difference, even the shape and size of the wheel get adjusted for. Also the world-scaling just 'fits' in AC for me.

I'm not sure if this answers any of your query but I only use VR 90% of the time with racing & I have no issues with distance of real vs perceived after an initial cockpit adjustment to line myself up with the driver. This is with AC & OR. I know games like R3E have world scaling options if you feel things are too large/small, it's not been an problem for me but I think in answer to your question, it is up to the software/game to provide the option for you & there is nothing in Oculus Home settings or debug tool to allow you to 'calibrate it'.

15. TechAde

TechAde Registered

What you're really asking is how do you ensure the rendered field of view matches the physical field of view in the Rift. The answer is you don't because the VR API implementation does this automatically. It knows the physical field of view of the hardware and sets the field of view in the software to match.

16. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I think the question is: Just how accurate is the automatic scaling?

Perhaps it's worth noting that when one uses Touch controllers with the Rift, things moving through the virtual space correlate with user movements very well; if it didn't, timing with catching / throwing items / aiming and other movements would be too out of sync to be as effective as they are.

17. TechAde

TechAde Registered

It should be perfectly accurate as the size of the display is known and fixed, as is the distance from the eyes.

18. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Yes - sorry, I should have stated it more clearly; that was the point I was trying to make speaking from personal experience.

19. Christopher Snow

Christopher Snow Registered

Thanks for the replies: You all seem to understand what I'm asking about.

Short answer to my own query is, as TechAde surmised is "you don't." Longer answer is "maybe you do, but it isn't easily done" because both HTC and Oculus want VR implementation to SEEM "automatic" even if it really may not be.

Some details here, perhaps:
    http://www.roadtovr.com/measure-ipd-oculus-rift-configuration-utility/

CS

20. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

That's quite an old article and Oculus did allow users to adjust the IPD settings with the Dev-Kits but, that all ended when Cv-1 arrived. The IPD setting is now a matter of making a visual focus adjustment using a physical slider located under the Oculus HMD.

World scale may also be affected by the player height entered during the calibration process but, it seems relevant mainly to distance from the floor; I don't think it affects the overall scale significantly but, I haven't tested it either.