Dirt ...dynamic track surface

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hi

I'm sure 397 devs have a lot of their plate, dynamic surface dirt ovals would be brill to have in rfactor 2

its all in the changing surface and how mud gets flattened & polished etc

yes I have had some time in another certain title and its been a real eye opener
    in rfactor 2 with rfactor 2's ffb/physics etc it would be just wow

ps it's the dynamic track surface visual & physic effecting surface that's the most important feature here
    no 2 sessions are the same or even 2 laps in the same seesion for that matter when many other cars on same track

thanks

IgnacioK likes this.
  2. IgnacioK

IgnacioK Registered

Mayve a sort of reverse real road could be a way to do it ?,at least for a start .

3. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's quite complex

The dirt makes a shelf ( where it gets pushed to the outer mainly used race line) then e eryobe starts taking a different line as the first gets polished compacted & slippy thus the dirt moves & track surface transforms again

But it makes for an amazing user experience

4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Stock car tires have it so the more rubber laid down the slippier it is. Someone would just need to spend some time working on that I think.

5. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

Well done dirt would be great, but i don't personally have interest in oval stuff. If it was used for rally also i would like that. Though making realistic dirt physics would probably be huge amount of work.

6. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

my thoughts until I tried it, trust me its whole new thing for those that do not know,
    its moving at speed mainly sideways (kind of a controlled drift) in a super powerful monster , they can move so quick

Korva7 likes this.
  7. Mr_Mints_Taboo

Mr_Mints_Taboo Registered

This other game that you don't quite mention doesn't need to worry about AI, so it can spare processing power for the ever changing surface. Although S397 could dumb down the AI A LOT to simulate the current batch of rookies spraying dirt in each other's faces. :) (Yes, I am one of those crash test dummies!)

Having said that.......rfactor is installed on my machine mostly for the Oval Racing as I refuse to pay £12.00 or so for a track with only 2 corners and no scenery (yeah, the Americans may count each end as 2 corners, but I don't, and a different crowd texture and Sky Box does not count as scenery.)
    Also real people run circles around me on the oval tracks. The AI here is so much more forgiving, and less vocally abusive.:)
    OK, I've talked myself into agreeing with you.

You win this round!:mad::mad::mad:

I was so sure you were wrong when I started typing.....

8. bison160

bison160 Registered

I wish it would, I would put some serious development time/money into a Dirt Latemodel sim with licensed and laser scanned cars/tracks. I wouldn't count on it any time soon though. I have pretty much given up all hope for dirt in RF2 and have been working with the developers of World Racing Series who already have a functioning dynamic dirt surface.

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

rfactor 2 is the total best for road imo , not tried the oval stuff yet in rfactor 2 and no idea if dynamic dirt oval will ever come

PS I never ran with ai in rfactor 2 , only interested in practice alone or practice & race with real people online etc

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I played in the Dirt before my sub ended; it was quite interesting but, it would hold my interest better in RallyX. Where we live, Dirt ovals are the most common track type but, they just are a bit too repetitive for my liking.

I'm hoping Dirt4 brings some variety and handling improvements in the short-term but, I wouldn't mind some more dirty options either. :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  11. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

yeah, laser scanned tracks for dirt, that sounds like a great way to waste money :p

Other than that, I wouldn't mind some dirt racing to come into this game, where I prefer something like Rallycross or ORR over ovals, but an oval from time to time can be nice as well I suppose :)