Latest Roadmap Update - March 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 17, 2017.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

The same lack of respect they have when releasing ripped contet from other sims or other modders, they spent lot of hours modding something to see it ripped by others and shared with us in a disinterested way...like robin hood, ripping for the others, lol...
    I can understand now why some groups moved away...

@hitm4k3r calm down mate, I am not an hypocrite, when I read the models are ripped from other games I don't download them, even if from Patrick or God in person...this is my way to disagree with ripped content...so I am not an hypocrite, maybe a moralist ;)

PS: the track was from another mod group called Euroracers, he said it was for GP4 not ripped from there..."Very old mesh from GP4 initially released by Euroracers who kindly gave me permissions to use their version." Sounds quite different to me, but maybe is due to barrier language...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  2. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Sorry, but that's something that I don't get. Reading some of the comments here people like Patrick are claimed to be "good" guys who do a big service to the sim racing community but people get angy abour the SRT guys, atleast your comment reads like this is the case. Let's put it like that: all of those modders are making conversion and none of them has a white vest. For some of the tracks there aren't credits given in AMS, so I guess you consider them legal, or how do I have to understand this? In this case I would really like to see a list of tracks that you are using. :)

Juergen-BY likes this.
  3. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Ok I will try to explain better...
    Patrick does a good job for 2 main reasons, 1) consistency, same quality for all the tracks and near to the AMS default content 2) It asks to original modders if he can convert and upgrade their work, no ripped material from other sims like AC, if it is ripped you can clearly read it...not a generic "done by me"...
    I am not angry with no one, just explaining my point of view, if I ask which track isn't ripped is because of my choice to play only scratch made tracks or modders contet converted with their permission...and often is very difficult to know where tracks come from...
    My track list?At the moment I have only the base content, URD cars, Pixsim Nogaro and another couple of tracks (sorry I am away from my main PC). But hey, maybe I found the reason I feel rF2 poor on content..my morality...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  4. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Most of the reasons, why modding groups left rF2, are those stupid discussions/complains about conversions & permissions.

//EDIT: could we went back to the topic? It`s all about the Roadmap Update in this thread...

Louis, lagg and bwana like this.
  5. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Yeah, discussions/complains about conversions & permissions are stupid...
    From this: http://www.virtualr.net/drm-revival-3-0-public-release-called-off
    To this: http://www.virtualr.net/drm-revival-ac-plenty-new-previews
    ...but you are right, better to be back on topic, sorry guys...

6. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Have I said anything about illegal conversions? ;)

7. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Sorry mate I misunderstood your post, I was talking about ripped content so I read your post the wrong way...

Mulero likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I would rather have stuff done by devs but they don't do it all and let's face it: without ripped models there would be near 0 content on games like rF or they'd take so long to appear people would just move on to another game, most people simply don't have the time to make something from 0 and honestly it's not worth it at all.
    Get the most mainstream cars and tracks as DLC and you reduce the need for mods and ripped content. Problem is: licenses are expensive or devs simply don't have the money to do it and hope to get it back when selling DLC. If you count it all for example... GT3 have like 12 mainstream cars you'd need to have to reduce the need for mods thus ripped content in rF2 among those cars only. How much would this cost?
    Those that complain about ripped content are probably using it too, they just either don't know it or pretent to not know where some things come from. Just because Patrick tracks are being kept online in RD does not mean they are legal, RD is just strange with this stuff.

9. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

What Do you think guys? Is there a need to make a fresh install when the new build is out?
    Or are u going to delete the cbash and shader folders?

10. Eddy

Eddy Registered

Just did a clean install because of system crash. So I go for the delete cbash and shader option

Guimengo likes this.
  11. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

One of the realities of our sim racing community, besides the huge number of re-purposed (aka technically illegal) tracks that many use, is that track artistry and track technology is now so sophisticated that all but a tiny number of people will be able to master it. Even some dev studios can't master it, for goodness sake.

I have been using technically illegal tracks in my rFactor and RACE and rF2 and now AMS for many years. I always justify it to myself because I own at least one copy (often multiple copies) of every title that the tracks are ripped from, so I have already paid for them. It doesn't change the technicality that it is still a breach of the legal agreement, but I can sleep soundly at night knowing that I have paid for the original (hard) work that was done on the track AND I am not using it in more than one title at a time. I have my favourite latest sim and drop using the prior one once the latest one becomes available. It would be nice if everyone did this, but it is a pipe dream to think that they would. I also do not pirate music or videos--at all. People think I am very strange for having a room full of CDs and DVDs.

On the topic of pipe dreams, given how difficult and labour-intensive it is to produce a 2017-quality track for a racing game/sim, I have long pined for the top track makers (SimBin/Sector3 have been the most consistent over the years) to go into the track business. Sell their tracks for multiple sims. This could be awesome and allow them to leverage their work into much more revenue, but there are two brick walls standing in the way:

1) it would break the business model of their own products, which are based on compelling and attractive packages of cars and tracks
    2) pirating would quickly erode any benefit gained by wider distribution of the tracks, unless a very serious online licensing/paywall system was adopted by all players...and we know how well that would go over.

So, we carry-on with the best tracks spread all over the place and not necessarily available in our sim of choice. And if we want to be pure, we'll be using nothing but stock content or just a handful of third-party tracks that are 100% scratch-made. Of even that mere handful of tracks that are not conversions that are also worth using, many are also "illegal" in that they did not acquire licensing from the track owner.

Let's please stop the continual whining about asking permission to convert tracks when 99% of the time the permission sought is meaninglessly from the last person who converted/stole the original. Only the original author/creator/dev studio can give permission, and they can only give it if they owned the rights in the first place. We need to find a way to support, with our money, the development of more good quality tracks. Some of these could be major overhauls of existing tracks; some will need to be new.

I am afraid that when all studios are forced, by pirating mostly, to keep their own content close to their chest, we all lose. Big shock, there is no free lunch. And just like when the music industry refused to lower the price of a CD, or share more revenue with the artists, we ended-up with mass pirating and everyone lost in the process.

Kelju_K, Ernie, bwana and 4 others like this.
  12. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I asked Marcel on Discord and he said you shouldn't have to do a fresh install, I might anyway just to clear out some old junk and treat it as a totally "new" experience as I've not driven it for months anyway.

Nitrometh likes this.
  13. yoss

yoss Registered

100 % agree

14. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah ideally this would be the solution, instead of all sims building their own versions of Nordschleife etc. At least between the "small" sims (rF2/AMS/Raceroom) it would be nice to see some form of co-operation. It's a bit ironic that feels3 is now the guy working on the SimBin/Sector3 tracks. When he was around isiforums he did Croft, Putnam Park, Poznan in a short time duration, which at the time were the first tracks that actually looked good in rF2 and those tracks were also available for conversion to other sims. Now when he found a real job (shame on ISI for not hiring him) nobody can convert his tracks any longer.

Sebastien Sestacq and emha76 like this.
  15. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Sebring by VLM is rip/convert? Because it is one of the most beautiful track on rf2 as well as a laser scan!!, like Nogaro by Pixsim

16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

SRW has some nice tracks too like MId Ohio and it's laser scan. Would be nice if S397 bought that one. Hope there is news about content soon.

17. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

it's not laser scanned, the only laser scanned track in srw is silverstone

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

One of the guys that races in our forum said that SRW version is the closest to the real track as he drove there IRL (correction: he said he lives one hour away from it)

I wish someone converted this one for rF2 but I can only find the VLM version :(

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  19. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

it is an extremely well made track and is one of the best tracks in SRW, however while its pretty accurate in it's layout there are errors in elevations that can be measured in metres, that shouldn't detract from using it in anyway and if someone who has raced the real thing can't tell the difference then it shows it doesn't matter too much anyway.

Guimengo likes this.
  20. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

18/04 no news? :eek:

mixer61 and Korva7 like this.