Simulator Crashes When Track Finishes Loading (Windows 10)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by TChapman500, Mar 25, 2017.

1. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I'm not exactly sure why this is happening, but when I tried running rFactor 2 on my Windows 10 installation, the simulator runs just fine until the track finishes loading. Then it crashes. I've tried every setting that I can think of to compatibility mode, to run as administrator, to running in 32-bit, to running at minimum detail. Nothing so far has worked. And so far, it's for all the tracks in the simulator.

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Have you tried to verify the game cache in steam? Enable trace, +trace in the single player launch options, and post the trace file. But even before that, disable all plugins.

3. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I don't have steam and I've already tried disabling all plugins. But I'll try the trace option.

4. stonec

stonec Registered

If you don't have Steam, then you're not on the latest rF2 build. I'm afraid you won't receive much support for an obsolete build any longer, this forum is basically about Studio 397's Steam rF2 product.

5. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I'm not returning to steam.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Then what version of rF2 are you playing may I ask and did you obtain it legally? Because the only way to play an up-to-date Studio 397 version and the upcoming DX11 update is via Steam. There won't be any bug fixes or official support for old builds that were created under ISI.

7. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Try unplugging your controllers too, and add +trace=3 to the single player parameters in the launcher. Then hopefully the last line or two in the trace file will give a clue as to what's going wrong.

@stonec you jumped to conclusions a little there...

TChapman500 likes this.
  9. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Now I can't do anything. Having to reinstall the OS caused me to need to reinstall the simulator. The built-in content manager now refuses to download anything to allow me to drive.

10. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

o_O
    Is that because you were having problems with one game? If so then that's a bit drastic.

I don't know why you state " I'm not returning to steam." but in 10 or so years I have not had a problem with Steam or playing games on Steam.
    I know I've been of no help (I'm not at my pc) but as mentioned before, Steam is the only way to go.
    With the big update in a few weeks and in the future, you really should go Steam.

But each to their own, you do what you want. Good luck. ;)

11. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

No, I didn't reinstall the OS because I was having problems with the simulator. I reinstalled the OS because it wouldn't boot-up.

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You can also check Windows Event Viewer to see if you get a clue in the logs.

I understand you are installing Build 1098 which is the latest non steam version.

13. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I've had issues like yours and here are some things I found to solve them. I'm not saying these are the same issues but, something to consider that may point you in the right direction.

OS won't boot / PC stuck or hangs during initial startup: caused by USB-device (bootable) search, can be an issue with certain motherboards and USB devices / controllers. When this happens, try un-plugging / switching off USB devices to find the potential device that triggers the lock-up. Disabling the boot-able USB-device search in the BIOS may solve the problem too.

rFactor Locks up during or just after track loading: may be temporarily solved by using 32-bit instead of 64-bit mode. In my case, the cause turned out to be USB-device related, one of which was an outdated driver for my Fanatec Shifter; another may have been related to overload of a particular USB root hub. Some controllers / devices relay a large amount of data and can interfere with proper device operation. I've had such issues with DD-wheel use and Oculus VR devices where both require fast USB data transfer with high throughput; one solution was to add a dedicated PCIe-USB card for Oculus-VR use only.

14. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

Except the OS booted to a blue screen every time, regardless of what I tried. Don't worry though, I know what caused it and it won't happen again.

If it cannot be plugged into a port that is on the outside of my computer, I cannot use it. And all my drivers are up to date. 32-bit didn't work.

15. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Okay - it was worth a try.:) Best of luck sorting it out.

16. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Few questions: How much physical RAM do you have? Have you restricted the size of virtual memory that the OS uses? Have you tried loading a track without a USB controller connected?

18. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

I cannot install any tracks to test your suggestions. But I have 8GB of RAM and the virtual RAM is system-managed.

19. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Just in case, its because of missing the files: http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/legacydl/

20. TChapman500

TChapman500 Registered

All issues resolved. The launcher needed to be run as an administrator.