Is HDR opposite effect?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Yotan, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Yotan

Yotan Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Headlights are not there yet. Went better with build 998 but is still not bright enough. Thats all.

3. Yotan

Yotan Registered

Normally, it should be brighter in the HDR on. But it will be dark in the game.

p.s. HDR is not Headlights. HDR is "high dynamic range imaging".

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2015
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

HDR doesn't mean brighter. What HDR actually tries to do is display the full dynamic range of light, so that darkness would look really black and bright lights really bright. Since Nords doesn't have any night lights, the first pic with HDR off looks completely unrealistic. The second seems correct, except for the car headlights that are a bit weak (maybe modded car?). Most ISI cars are fine now in night.

5. Yotan

Yotan Registered

I know that HDR doesn't mean brighter.
    However, as a result of the dynamic range and exposure expansion has been adapted to the darkness, I think normally be brighter.
    To me it looks like HDR is turned off when it is set to turn on the HDR. And it looks like HDR is turned on when it is set off a HDR of the check box.

I am using the automatic translation. Sorry for my poor English.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think you mean you expect the overall scene to become somewhat brighter to compensate (as part of HDR) - I would say recent changes to the tonemapper (?) that have made mostly good changes to how things look might effect older content, especially in regard to headlights, and have actually fixed the 'too bright' complaints with night driving.

Also, you should avoid making comparisons between HDR and non-HDR - it's not that HDR is an extra effect on top of the normal drawing, ISI now develops their content (and engine) assuming that HDR is on. How it looks with HDR is off isn't a concern of theirs at all.

7. Yotan

Yotan Registered

No, the effect itself of HDR is not a problem.
    Thing that I think a problem is that HDR work when set to disable, and does not work when set to enable.

8. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

No. :)

9. Tuttle

Exactly.

10. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Because of this discussion i checked the fps changes with hdr on and hdr off. Wow... ~ 18% fps drop with hdr on.

Sao Paulo, Renault Megane, 1 AI, end of the pitlane

HDR Off: 197 FPS
    HDR On: 162 FPS

Guimengo likes this.
  11. Yotan

Yotan Registered

I see. I am going to be convinced it.

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  12. Minibull

Minibull Member

Must be from the lighting calcs? Are the dynamic shadows affected at all by the switch to non hdr? As in do they disappear and therefore give a boost?

13. Tuttle

That's a pretty good delta. :)

14. Lefteris Axiotis

Lefteris Axiotis Registered

Sorry for posting this twice today (i already posted at the topic technical support) but it is very very very urgent for our leage and i noticed that one othe guy mentioned this issue aswell. We seem to have an issue with the night race of Singapore GP.

We are using ths version of the track: he track is Racerfactor Singapore 2013 1.65.

During night times and when the lights are on, the road is too bright. Way too bright at a point that is impossible to drive. At previous builds we used to turn off hdr and the lights lost part of their brighntess and it was ok. This option as you will know is not available anymore.

I also tried what another guy proposed with .json legacy hdr's, other graphic setting changes...Nothing...

Any ideas?

15. stonec

stonec Registered

No, there is no way to disable HDR with latest builds, becuse people were "cheating" by turning off HDR to get brighter night racing. That RaceRFactor version was built years ago when rF2 was still in beta. If the track looks wrong it's because it hasn't been optimized for HDR. If I would guess, the omni lights are defined too bright in the SCN file.

16. Lefteris Axiotis

Τhank you very much for the prompt reply. Does this mean that if a change settings at the SCN file i might be able to solve it myself?

17. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah, have a look at the Omni rows and change the Intensity value, I think I use Intensity=10 for a night track I converted. Remember that you need to repack the track with the updated file after the change.

18. Lefteris Axiotis

Thank you sooo much. I will do that and once it works out i will post again so that other members know how to set it.