Oculus Rift Vr -price drops ( video interview )

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Mar 1, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just for reference where do you get the 0.3% from? Steam stats? Genuinely interested as I like that statto type stuff and someone on another forum claimed it was higher than that the other week! Thanks

2. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Registered

3. stonec

stonec Registered

Here (scroll down to the bottom of the page).

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

thanks

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

water cooling is rock solid, get decent connections for zero troubles

my 780titan has the original fan unit back on & I forgot how warm & loud air is on the standard cards
    however I'm having a great time exploring the planet in google earth VR (which is an amazing experience)
    & the 780 runs robot recall pretty fine on lower settings
    (not as a nice experience than my now sold 1080 which was seamlessly mind blowing epic, nice & sharp fluid smooth )

roll on the msi 1080ti gamer X ( & rfactor 2 VR compatibility )

ps the duel fan system on the msi 1080 gamer x I sold kept things cooled nicely -hoping will be the same with the ti version

6. Comante

Comante Registered

I'm in a sad position: my R9-270X prematurely died after 3 years of happy service, now I don't have money to replace it, but this is a good news, I hope around june I can get a R480X for a good price (there is a boatload of new GPU coming out from ATI and NVIDIA). In the meanwhile I'm really hard trying to decide if my next upgrade will be a 144hz monitor or if I have to hold on another year and get a VR system... maybe second hand, but I'm not yeager to own a current technology.. they may be good enough for racing, but I plan to use it in DCS too, and there higher resolution is a must have... so I hope 2nd gen. will be good enough for racing and for flying.

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Comante -VR is great in DCS , pixel setting around 1.5 though then all the instruments writing is clear -I simply use a mouse to click all the controls ( of course I use a physical control stick )
    there's also a zoom feature, its an unreal experience & no return to monitors afterwards

I've just pre-ordered the ww2 map & assets in DCS I should have the ti card by then too

Comante likes this.
  8. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

Is there any value in picking up a DK2, they are pretty cheap now.

Or just hold out for price drops on current tech?

9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I loved my dk2, CV1 is not a massive step up but that little extra quality really helps

I'd hold out for a CV1 grab a bargain if one crops up, dont skimp on the hardware though a good GPU is needed to run it for the full enjoyment ( imo 970ti up )

10. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

DK2's work okay but, with some limitations and the risk of it being obsoleted at any time. Oculus no longer supports it so you are on your own if you have issues (likely to have some) but, there are still plenty of users around to help. It's bested by the CV1 IMO in most ways but, the absence of lens-flare due to the Fresnel design of CV1 is a plus. The biggest issue with the DK2 compared to CV1 is probably the screen-door-effect and then overall comfort and ease of use; still, I would take a risk on the DK2 before taking it on the Chinese VR options.

Also be aware that the Touch controllers don't work with the DK2; that might seem like small consolation but, I find that they are much more fun and interesting in VR than I had imagined.

11. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I'd wait for trusted reviews from experienced users that have owned the primary VR-HMD's before taking a risk; better yet, try one before you buy. There's more at stake with this than most people realize; VR-sickness is no joke.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'm not really interested in anything other than oculus or HTC hive,
    even if another manufacturer produces one with a much higher resolution

oculus/htc will release a higher res version at the right time -perhaps around the time of nvidia's 12 series cards ( 2019 )
    -we could get something new at some point later next year though who knows

people have to have good hardware otherwise the VR experience is impaired , with these higher end 10 series cards one can run the present tech super fluid seamlessly with out having to fiddle with settings, plus can uplift pixel settings so things become nice and sharp which also makes the 3D look incredible

believe it or not I became convinced that my dk2 had a high enough resolution after getting use to it, bet if I went back to a dk2 now I'd think it was terrible due to a slightly lesser quality image, we tune in and get use to the visuals we have hey

RaceNut likes this.
  13. Comante

Comante Registered

Adrian, I know this is a RF2 forum, but would you like to share a bit more? Do you fly airplane or helos? You say instrument reading are just fine, do you feel you need to lean toward the cockpit or you need to use the zoom function? What about the distant objects ? Don't you feel a bit shortsighted? Would like to know your impressions. Thanks

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya, I only really use the P-51 (WW2 prop fighter plane), with a pixel density of 1.3 up the text/dials/intruments etc are crystal clear,
    I run at about 1.7 pixel though (at least I did with my 1080 & of course when I get the ti version)

never had to lean forward, distant objects are obviously the downside although can have labels, or set them to a bit larger in the menu
    (people with monitors also use these settings) , there also a VR zoom function as if one is looking through a telescope to help

remember though there's many situations where real pilots had their long range vision impaired like a mist for instanced (mist is available in DCS) , VR is the very best way to go for racing & flight sims imo that's where it really shines

ps pixel settings is running at a higher resolution than the VR's panel can do but it really does make a difference
    things are out of focus with out it & dont look to good, it takes extra gpu power though obviously

rogue22 likes this.
  15. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

I have DCS as well. I can't even describe how much I enjoy that sim even more in VR. I never change my key bindings so it makes using the keyboard a bit easier, I need to get HOTAS, have the joystick at least.

Comante likes this.
  16. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Just grabbed a 1080ti off scan
    Surprised they had some

Went for the founders in the end as I'll order a waterblock next week & watercool then overclock

Think we'll get the rfactor 2 roadmap update tomorrow , here's hoping it's good news

RaceNut likes this.
  17. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

Please share your findings with the GPU upgrade. :)

18. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

19. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

There are a few things at quick glance; low refresh rate (Higher is better), lack of positional tracking (rotational only), straps for the headband can be a comfort issue but, may depend on the user. Software compatibility can be a huge limitation in VR if there aren't enough games to play in VR and the fringe VR HMD's are less likely to get VR-support that meets current standards.

At this point, we just don't know how these HMD's can really perform - especially beyond their limited demo reviews using optimized tech demos.

TheMattyOnline likes this.
  20. Depco

Depco Registered

Also that particular headset is not actually 4K. In the reviews that I read about it the reviewers at best with decent frame rates are getting 1440p. I believe they said that the screens also are not 4K put the using software renderer to upscale to 4K.