[REL] Crew Chief v4.5 with rFactor 2 support

Discussion in 'Other' started by The Iron Wolf, Feb 1, 2017.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

http://thecrewchief.org
    Click on Download link near the top. Crew Chief is awesome, and awesome software auto updates itself :) So don't worry about version.

You also need a plugin for rFactor 2 which is linked on the first page.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  2. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

The app auto-updates so it should be up to date. The latest version is 4.6.1.4 (see the bottom left corner of the app's main window). The latest release version is always here:
    http://crewchief.isnais.de/CrewChiefV4.msi

[edit] curse you and your ninja skillz :)

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  3. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

I've added a couple more utilities to the personalized voice thing. Here's what's new:
    A script to compare the stock sounds directory to your custom my_sounds directory in case Mr. B adds new events. It tells you what's new and missing from your stuff. It creates this in a file that's ready to go for you to add your voices.
    A script to create your own sound files for drivers
    Better instructions (same ugly design done in vi, though) in the zip called instructions.zip
    Before you grab this, remember that you need Python on your computer. If you use the RF2 LogAnalyzer mod, you already have python. Test by running: py --version from a command line and if you get back a version number, you gots python .

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  4. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

@The Iron Wolf Looks like crew chief 4.6.1.5 doesn't want to download/install personalisations for me. Anything I'm missing? Driver names and sound pack is downloading and installing just fine.

5. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

Is the button highlighted green? Can it be clicked? Does it download anything when you click it?

6. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

Thanks for the heads-up dude, the .zip file is corrupt on the FTP server, I'm re-uploading it now

7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

All sorted now :D

Martin Vindis likes this.
  8. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

TYVM for the update. I really enjoy rF2 with Crew Chief :)

9. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Just came across this fantastic plugin. It's awsome. When my name is not in the selectable name list, do I have to record it or can I just open a file with names and add mine?
    Cheers

10. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

the player name list is still growing but it can't grow forever. Adding a name requires me to make 24 separate recordings (4 each of 6 separate short phrases like "OK Jim"). This is to ensure it sounds as natural as possible. Tell me your name and I'll add it to the next batch I do

Nitrometh likes this.
  11. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

I have not yet tested the plugin, but it's planned. For this point, If the name is not existing, it can be good to put a default name like, OK Dude instead (or anything neutral)?

12. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

some of the existing recordings do contain some fairly neutral "mate" type addresses, and there's actually a "mate" entry in the Player names list if you wanted to use it.

MaD_King likes this.
  13. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah there was no names before and it worked equally good. The added names gives a more personal touch, but it is great without it as well. Like mr_belowski said you get "mate" without name, and it works great. CrewChief is not your average spotter plugin - it is masterful and sounds incredible alive. Not your standard computerized sounding stitched together phrases. It really sounds like a real guy talking to you. :)

14. BoothJoe

BoothJoe Registered

It really is a real guy talking to you. As Mr. B said above, he records every name and message, and that, for now, is much better than what you can do with a text to speech engine. The gold standard for TTS, in my mind, is for it to do a realistic and believeable "C'mon, man."

15. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I know! :D Thats why i said it doesnt sound like other synthesized voices. Sounds like real voice - is a real voice. For the consumer its the same thing hehe. Im Swedish and i dont always get it right. ;)

16. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Another advantage is open source and full flexibility of C# program. But perhaps the most impactful is mr_belowski's great judgement on how to keep CC sounding human like. If it was for me to decide what to say I'd flood listener with stats and data, but it won't sound like person talking to you. I think even the fact that CC doesn't say what I want is part of character. I remember I recently started race really poorly, and CC said with hopelessly disappointed intonation "Come on, Vytautas" :)))))) Can't get this out of my head. It is the spirit, and the fact that Jim sticks to it, is the greatest thing about this creation.

17. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Well you guys did a great team effort to add CC to rF2. Thank you very much guys. :cool:

18. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

You're welcome. And the work will continue. I think I finally understood what "Best Split" is in rFactor 2, will make sure timing gaps are calculated the same for rFactor 2 in CC.

Jego likes this.
  19. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Registered

Thanks guys. There's always a tension between information and immersion with the app. I want to give good, helpful and timely data, but my overriding priority is always immersion. I won't (knowingly) allow the app to give inaccurate data but i also won't (knowingly) allow the app to sound weird and unconvincing even if it's giving good information.

Morten and Vytautas have really helped me get back into working on the app and add things that have been on the backlog for many months. It's been awesome to have such enthusiastic and able collaborators who bring new ideas to the work and help curb some of my bad habits. Knowing someone clever is going to review your work makes you cut far less corners :)

Some of the stuff in the pipeline is really cool and will no doubt have teething troubles but it'll be worth it in the long run :)

20. TassyDevil

TassyDevil Registered

@mr_belowski
    Hi Jim, is there any chance to get my name added to the personalisations list please.
    Obviously whenever you have time mate.
    Name is = Dennis
    :)

jerrymcc likes this.