Bring back proper mods

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DavidG, Mar 5, 2017.

1. DavidG

DavidG Registered

One of the things that has always bugged me about rFactor 2 is the necessity to use ‘All Cars & Tracks’ in single player mode, instead of having separate mods, as rFactor had. This always seemed like a step backwards to me and causes the following issues (among others):
    · The game can’t display saved lap times
    · Replays all show the same mod details (making it difficult to work out which is which)
    · The opponent list is horrendously large and confusing
    · AI (and other) settings can’t be saved for each mod (seriously, it’s 2017 and I’m sitting in front of a large, powerful computer, that’s able to run this hugely complex and demanding game, yet I’m forced to manually record AI values in a book!).

Whilst none of these are deal killers on their own (though, as a purely off-line player, I find the AI issue hugely frustrating), it’s still annoying that we’ve lost, what I would say is, basic functionality, from a supposedly improved version of the game.

I notice that the Steam version has, to a small extend, re-introduced mods, by adding some series files, though these are of limited use. But why not produce a small tool that enables anyone, even those of us with no modding skills, to quickly and easily produce their own series files, using any of the currently installed content?

However, this on its own would not be sufficient. The reason mods were abandoned in the first place is because you have to individually specify all the tracks that a mod can use, meaning that any mod file has to be constantly updated to include new or changed circuits. This was clearly ridiculous and quite unworkable. Surely by re-enabling the track wildcard filter in the rfm, or adding a ‘Use all tracks with this series’ (or a global ‘Use all tracks with all series’) option, mods should be a viable option again. Better still, introduce some proper track filters, such as ‘Road’, ‘Oval, ‘Hillclimb’, 'Dirt’ and ‘Kart’, so that the available circuits can be appropriately restricted.

This would only need to be within the single player part of the game, in the multi-player side, mods can continue to function as they do now. It also wouldn’t require any change to the way content is released or installed, or any changes to current content, it would only need an additional series file to be installed separately.

And then why not take things further and allow more parameters to be saved in the series cch file? For instance, if I have an endurance series, I might want longer, timed races, later starting times, accelerated time scale, rolling starts, bigger grids and a greater chance of inclement weather. But in an F1 series, the races might be shorter, over a set number of laps, with standing, mid-day starts, grids of 22 cars, less chance of bad weather, and normal scale time. Put a tick box in the race setup screen to indicate that the current settings are specific to this series and are to be saved within the cch file, then any series specific settings can automatically override the global settings whenever the mod is loaded.

But again, more could be done. Many mod makers are now messing with the head movement values, forcing you to constantly change the head movement settings in the ‘Controls’ screen, so why not save this value with the series too? And the default force feedback, smoothing and minimum torque levels for the car set. Or you could set a different HUD to load with a particular series.

In addition to changes on the car side, I think a track AI adjustment (a positive or negative percentage) should be added. Tracks and car sets are basically fast or slow; if a particular mod’s AI are quick on one track, then they’re probably going to be quick on all of them. Similarly, if a track runs a mod slower than normal, then it’s probably going to have pretty much the same effect on all mods. By giving all tracks their own AI value, you just need to run a couple of races, set it to the level you feel appropriate and then forget about it. Then, with the series similarly set, the 2 values will work in unison to ensure that, whatever track and car combination you race with, the overall AI should be at a decent level automatically, without the player needing to make adjustments before each race, even if they have never driven that particular combo before. The current facility, where an AI value can be set for a specific car/track combination could remain in place, if players felt more fine control was needed. But I don’t think you need an exact percentage for every single combination, just a ballpark AI setting that allows you to be reasonably sure of a decent race, no matter what and where you’re racing.

RoboCAT10, Boldaussie and jpalesi like this.
  2. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

This. 5 years after release, I still can't believe we're stuck with that All tracks & cars format.
    Another regression from rFactor which is difficult to understand. Even without adding functionalities (compared to rFactor), just going back to the rF1 system would be an huge improvement.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Creat a RaceEvent and select the components you want:
    - a custom UI
    - a custom HUD
    - a cusom tunning garage
    - track selection
    - car selection

In addition.
    Select a RaceEvent Icon
    And a custom .rfm file with race rules that fit the serie.

If you select your RaceEvent with all these components your rF2 will turn into another game.

This has always been possible but not fully used to this extent.

Usually a RaceEvent only contains a car and track selection with a .rfm that fits the serie. But it can contain much more.

4. DavidG

DavidG Registered

This may be so, but nobody does, do they? I suspect this may be due to the complex and unwieldy nature of the process and, particularly, because of the track issue. So I’m merely suggesting that a simpler system, with no requirement to specify a track list, would be of benefit.

5. jpalesi

jpalesi Registered

In rFactor, the rfm file already gave the car selection, the custom rules, the custom UI, the opponents to select for your race. You had a mod to select, and you could race easily on any track you wanted, no edit necessary. It was working.

In rFactor 2, you have also to select the tracks you want to race on. Why, just why ? Is there one single good reason to absolutely have the need to be limited to some tracks ? Is there a good reason to go from a simple working method, to an unnecessarily complex non working method ?

6. AceLain

AceLain Registered

The reason is Online mismatch

bwana likes this.
  7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

It takes one minute to create and directly install from mas2.exe a race event with the track and vehicles you want.

Nobody does? You seem to be concerned about your single player mode. Why do you care what other do?

If you are too lazy it's your own problem. Most of your complaints have easy solution.

peterchen, Ho3n3r and bwana like this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

OP is 100% right
    the rest of the users aren't really getting the point that not everyone should have to do this stuff, plus the menu is not user friendly/intuitive and already called people lazy, this community gets on my nerves sometimes
    Hopefully my suggestion for create/edit race event and championships menu can be used and we can do everything in a intuitive menu (including stuff like upgrades). There is some hope OP... it seems people in S397 are actually worried about the average user, different of some guys above. Have patience.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    RoboCAT10 likes this.
  9. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

If I tried to mix mods in rF1, just loading them in in "all cars and tracks" which also existed back then some cars would work fine, some would be temp cars. That never ever happens in rF2 - it always work. For that reason I would never go back to the old format. It would take so much more work to make mods works with each other in the old rFactor.

For instance mixing URD cars with EnduRacers cars - easy in rF2 - wouldn't be in rF1, comparatively.

So what if modders don't create race series/rFmods? Do it yourself? It takes a minute as @Euskotracks said above.

We don't have to go back :p

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

OP is not 100% right.
    He has no knowledge about how to create a vmod (race series). As simple as that.
    He is claiming the need of modding knowledge to create a race series from installed content. That's simply not true. Anyone willing to can create a vmod. The tool is intuitive and easy to use.
    Open mas2.exe.
    Click on create vmod.
    Name the series.
    Pick the track(s) component you want use.
    Pick the vehicle components you want to use.
    Skip next step.
    In the summary screen select the layouts and specific cars you want to use. Also provide a path+name to the package file that will be created in the appropriate field.
    Click on package and later on install.
    Open single player mode. Select the race seried. Race.

11. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

put an average gamer in front of rF2 launcher and tell him to find out by himself how to do it, then we can talk

12. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

If the average gamer is capable to setup their hardware and edit files like they are used too with rF1 and other games...
    They can for sure follow a few steps in the steam guide and create a RaceEvent:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=554544322

For sure some people don't know how to setup their e-mail on their PC or mobile phone.
    But a lot people do, and magically find out how to do it by using google or asking a question on a forum.

The average human isn't stupid. ;)

Let us keep on talking... :)

2ndLastJedi, Ho3n3r and Euskotracks like this.
  13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That must be why every game menu and online session host is like rF2, oh wait...
    Nuff said folks.

14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

http://bfy.tw/ASD1

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That is exactly my point @Euskotracks. Let me just say a last thing: I hope none of you are in the gaming industry, at least not in the GUI area :D

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Let me agree that it should be better integrated. However, ugly doesn't mean difficult.

17. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

More I read about mods here on forum...more I think rF2 should stop to promote itself as the "open racing simulator"...
    rF2 should become, at this point of his life, a full SIM, something like AMS, well focused on cars and tracks licenses, modding should be an option not the main focus of rF2, times are changed, even AC which seems to have a lot of mods see only half of them completed...

where is the open.JPG

...where is the "Open"?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  18. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

I agree that it's intimidating for the user, but it's easier and more bulletproof than rFactor 1. I can't remember how many times I had to reinstall rFactor 1 after a mod became corrupt/unusable - after which point I went for multiple installs, which is far less elegant, and takes more time to maintain, than rFactor 2's answer to this issue.

However, I will say that I wish we could create a vmod from the launcher screen directly, instead of having to open the mod manager, located in a folder, and then do it from there. Like this:
    - Open contents screen on launcher
    - Check all the components you want.
    - Click "Create vmod".
    - When done, option of yes/no to install vmod comes up.

Will be far less confusing for the casual racer.

I had a lot of time under my belt with rFactor 2 and similar games (Game Stock Car, Race 07, GTR 2), yet when I just wanted to race a random car on a random track, I couldn't figure out for a whole night that I would be able to do this if I go to Series and then check "All Cars & Tracks" before I posted a question about it on a forum somewhere.

19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

I agree UI/vmod-tool should be easyer and better integrated.
    However if you know what to do it´s like Euskotracks said: a 1 minute deal, not complex at all and with much better functionality than in rF1-days! And it is nowhere near to "not working"! Works as a charme....

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

The idea I showed Marcell some time ago (before rF2LA had the stuff mentioned there)
    Keep in mind this is just an example, things can and should be more simplified for the average user and ofc have a proper design, something that people won't have to go to the internet to look for tutorials. This in game menu creates championhos and/or races for offline and online use. But keeping the quick race menu that people can just jump straight to a race.
    Some of the things from the example I already would make different, i.e. Tracks to come before Class/Cars because then you can add track specific upgrades. Upgrades to be done in the car menu instead of separated, it could be a small philips tool icon besides every car model
    In the multiplayer the people could choose an option to have the links appearing to the user trying to connect in case they don't have one of the items, "Cars and tracks are here: http..." or configure workshop links, etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Again just an example, it needs to be made more intuitive I think :)
    The kind of stuff that the user just says what they want and the game makes the files and link them in the background.

Marcel Offermans, Ho3n3r and Ernie like this.