What's with people not caring about looks?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2ndLastJedi, Feb 26, 2017.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Cartoon colors are usually the opposite of dull. I don't see it as much useful to complain about the graphics in rF2 if you can't define more clearly what's wrong or demonstrate it with a screenshot. I'm sure S397 will take along feedback from users regarding graphics improvements as well, but as long as the discussion is circulating around contradicting and vague terms like graphics being both dull and cartoonish, it's hard to get an objective view of what's wrong. It just seems to me a certain user likes a certain tone for the graphics, the other user likes another, so there is no way of satisfying everyone. Some people even complain AC/AMS look bad, there was a long thread about "cartoon" graphics in AMS on RaceDepartment a while ago, but again it came to no objective conclusion. People have differently calibrated monitors with different gamma and color depth as well, so it's not even fully objective in that sense.

MarcG likes this.
  2. Fishey

Fishey Registered

I guess I'm referring more to Mods then official releases which definitely are getting better. There was an rF1 to rf2 conversion ISI did that was pretty cartoony, can't for the life of me remember what it is? Little front wheel drive car maybe? As for Mods and Tracks that are free but cartoony I'm not gonna open that up with pictures just not worth the trouble but I'm sure we have all seen one or two bad ones even in other sims. My gripe with the lighting is look at the blob shadow under the cars. They follow no light source, inside the cars there is next to nothing as far as shadows. With singular light source say, the sun, light and shadows would move across the dashboard as the car moves and outside shadows would grow and shrink. R3e, AC, PCars even iRacing have this type of lighting. The day night cycle is just waiting to be given more than a few more colors, the base back drop doesn't seem to deviate much even with different weather settings. Than there is the weather, with a limited palette it mostly all looks the same.
    Look my preference is Rf2 because of the dynamics and I enjoy longer single player racing. If nothing changes Im still playing it more than anything else and I'm optimistic.

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

May I ask why there is allways that wierd graphics comparison thingy going on? I mean, rF2 isn't the best when it comes to visuals but looking at some comments people answered it pretty much allready for themself. rF2 does alot of stuff right in other areas and at the end we are allways comparing apples with oranges as all the sims have different rendering approaches. There will be updates to the graphics engine so stay relaxed and judge the upgrade when you see it on your own PC instead of panicking before you even tried it. Besides that, the DX11 release won't be the last word.

It doesn't make much sense to allways look at what the competing companies are doing. It's more important to play to your strength and to set priorities on how to fix your weak points. I rather have a less appealing sim that does alot of stuff right than a product that just looks good and offers nothing else. If PCars looks better and if that's your priority, then just do a test on your own and boot it up. For rF2 it doesn't really matter how many players are actively playing PCars. What matters is how we get more people playing rF2 and how the people owning it allready can get an even better experience. That it doesn't look like PCars is the least of the problems in that regard. The problem with all sims is that most people are turnt off by them pretty fast, and this is even more obvious with pCars than with rF2. I find it allways interesting that rF2 has pretty much the most active userbase relative to it's amount of customers so it's not all doom and gloom and I wouldn't call 10k players in two weeks "a bunch of nerds" for such a niche product.

Those are two different products aiming at different markets, simple as that. It would be pretty much enough to have a consistent visual quality in content on the level of the USF2000 allready, with smooth framrates and consistent working reflections and shadows, not to mention the visual weather feedback that is a bit wonky. If Studio 397 can get this stuff right, we will be in for a treat.

@Fishey: be carefull with talking about shadows and interpreting it as all having the same lightning. The only comparison that makes sense is the one between rF2 and PCars,as AC R3E and especialy iRacing all have static shadows in all areas that are not linked to the car. It's a hell of a difference to render a complete track in real time than to bake nice and smooth shadows into the textures.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
    2ndLastJedi likes this.
  4. stonec

stonec Registered

@Fishey Some mods are indeed wrong in color, but not much that the developer can do about that if the mod makers don't bother making their textures tuned for HDR. rF1/AMS are the ones with the static blob shadow under the car, rF2 has had fully dynamic shadows (for every object) since day one that follow a single light source and change as the sun moves position. iRacing has no dynamic shadows whatsoever but they get away with it for some reason. The only thing I agree is lacking is the night lighting, but then again AC and iRacing have no night lighting support at all.

5. Fishey

Fishey Registered

Point taken thanks :)

6. Fishey

Fishey Registered

May have to recheck my settings then or i'm too deep into MODs to know right from wrong ... I'm a MODADDICT... I need help I tell ya help. iRacing has some decent dynamic shadowing inside and out, may be from the move to Dx11?
    I honestly don't think people jump in rf2 and say its too real and leave, they jump in and think its not as good looking as the other offerings and leave. Shallow? maybe but I bet If rF2 looked amazing with the same physics and dynamics the conversation would be entirely different while sitting at the top.

7. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Ah ah ah are you thinking this is a AMS thread because rF2 does cockpit shadows quite nicely, although quite blocky but definitely there. That is one of my main problems with AMS, no interior shadows.
    My main problem with rF2 graphics would be some texture (mostly mods mind you) and the flat grass.
    The only place i want flat grass is in my yard (which i just spent 3hrs mowing).

8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I wouldnt mind 1GB track downloads .

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  9. Georg

Georg Registered

but others with slower internet probably do ;)

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Mines pretty slow ! only 14MB/s . Aussie internet sucks.

F1Aussie likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

What's with everyone generalising everything?

:oops:

12. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What's with people jumping on threads talking shite?

Guimengo likes this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@2ndLastJedi show me where someone said they don't care how it looks. Not something that sounds a bit like it, not someone saying enough about graphics, let's have feature <x>, show me where someone actually said - as you paraphrased in your first post - I don't care how the game looks.

I've played other games that look just amazingly real, I've played games that look so pretty they're no longer realistic, and I'd rather err on the side of realistic than pretty. But rF2 isn't either of those, and I'd like it to look better. However, when I play the game the graphics aren't the main thing that bother me. I don't even notice how good it does look until I watch a replay, because when I'm driving I'm not looking at the whole picture.

I've seen some good steps in rF2 graphics over the years, and every time we make a leap forward people come up asking for better graphics. Meanwhile there are missing features that have basically moved nowhere in that time. So when you see people getting annoyed at the 'we want better graphics' crowd, maybe consider that their priorities might just be different - and may have received less attention, too.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  15. bwana

bwana Registered

NBN soon ? got it last month 50mb down 30 up .. worth the wait and wait and wait ;)

16. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

We are working hard to move to DX11, VR, overall GFX improvements in various aspects, improve performance, and many more things to come, as you've seen in our monthly updates. Discussion here does really look like some unnecessary backfire. Let's try at least to wait and see. At least just to not waste your time talking about the past.

moev, boblevieux, TJones and 13 others like this.
  17. ApainPlost

ApainPlost Registered

+1 Tuttle

18. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Wtf....pls stop the discussion ;) only 200kb/s down......If a want to play rf 2 for some minutes I have to wait about 10 minutes until workshop items are subscribed that's so 1999.

bwana likes this.
  19. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Really , you want me to find something that has been said over and over again in lots of different ways , why ? Its been every where .
    I love a good looking game but if it plays like Forza id prefer not to play it , so it is definitely a trade off and i was just asking why people say things like "I think the graphics look just fine" or whatever when im just asking "why cant we have both"?
    Anyway , i'll just wait and hope for great things from the team at S397 .
    Close this thread . People are getting annecy .

20. MarcG

MarcG Registered

you answered your own question yesterday, people have different opinions including what makes a game graphically good or bad.

papaosa and 2ndLastJedi like this.