RFACTOR 2 Dev Mod Gear Ratios Fixed/Locked

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kinsman, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Hi chaps,

I couldn't find anyone with a similar issue but it may have been because the title didn't quite match my searches.

For some reason when I put a mod into Dev mode to work with it, the gear ratios are non-adjustable and all the gears are pretty much the same ratio as 1st, so I end up accelerating normally up to the red line in 1st, then all the following gears are the same, giving me the top speed that 1st gear allows for.

This makes testing things like aerodynamic wake and slipstreaming parameters difficult as I cannot obtain anything like accurate values.

If I load a setup, it loads but the gear ratios remain unchanged; still only allowing you to top out at whatever 1st gear is capable of. You cannot see the gear ratio graph, adjust the ratios or even see what they are. It just says 'N/A' where the ratios would be.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped...

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Check the gears related stuff in the HDV, including which gears file it's linking to, then check the gears file itself. Post the relevant parts here if you need help.

3. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

You're not Laz Watson are you?

Anywho - I must point out the car itself works perfectly in the normal game - no issues whatsoever. It's just in Dev Mode that the issue occurs...

Also I'm pretty proficient with mod building etc. but never used Dev Mode to do it before - usually for things like wake etc. I would open up a private server with a couple of friends and test it that way, but I can't always do that so wanted to work with Dev Mode to save time/speed up developement.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Devmode can be pretty sensitive to old/backup files sitting in the devmode folders, maybe it's picking up another file with the same name? Other than that it just sounds weird.

5. toebee

toebee Registered

Did you extract the mas files? I don't remember if Devmode will work right if everything is packed up still.

6. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Thanks for the suggestions -

I have got other mods in the DevMod folder... I'll clear them out.

Also, you're right - They're still packed up in MAS files, but I wondered whether the references in the mod would work if you extracted it ie. If you had a line in one of the files that pointed to a particular mas file, it would fail because it couldn't find it...

I'll check out the Skip Barber and see how that's set up... thanks for the ideas...

7. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

I recommend using the tool described here (https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/installing-cars-tracks-into-devmode-guides.53406/ ) which extracts the packed rfcmp if you're using one into the devmode folder. I was having trouble getting the vehicles to load and work correctly and with that tool, it helped me out a great deal. The only mas file for vehicles that needed to be extracted were the main files like hdv, engine, upgrades, gen files etc. That extraction tool might not be available on that post so here's another link if you wish to download and see if that makes a difference. https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/installing-track-in-dev-mode.52147/, you'll just have to change the references in the gen files to the mod package extracted after installing to dev mode but then it should work.

Kinsman likes this.
  8. Kinsman

Kinsman Registered

Thanks for the tips guys.

Annoyingly I haven't had a chance to try any of this yet as I've been sidelined by another project. I will feed back though because there's nothing worse than finding the answer to your problems and then not sharing it with other people.

Euskotracks likes this.