Latest Roadmap Update - February 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Feb 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Old guy here and I am soooooo excited too!!!!
    I always have been a big fan of rF2 physics and FFB (and even rf2 graphics is realistic for me. you notice that in VR. you don't want unrealistic SFX in VR). But no VR support ruined it for me. Like many other simracers say (see iracing and AC forum), if you once raced in VR you can't race without VR anymore (it's like no wheel support, you can't go back to keyboard or joystick). I'm soooo happy that after years I (and my friends in town) finally come home again.

2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

First of all..... I really like your picture of Herman Munster!

Second... Before I drove in rFactor 2 I couldn't drive anything that didn't have VR support. Triple screens in Assetto Corsa was just not immersive enough until I tried rFactor 2. The weight transfer of rFactor 2 is sooo addictive EVEN with triple screens. I can only imagine how realistic it will be in VR.
    I can not live without weight transfer anymore. I am so muct slower here and it is so much more fun.
    How did I not know about this??

vittorio likes this.
  3. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Yes, rF2 physics is so great that I can't go with less, I totally understand what you mean. If rF2 wouldn't have VR support I probably would have quit simracing at all (but I never had a tripple screen setup, maybe that would have been an option)

When rF2 came out I, and many others, were blown away by the historic formula simulation. E.g. see this video:

Racing these in VR (and hopefully we will see an update to the historic content in rF2 in the future) and I'm done. Yesterday I even looked for 1968 historic spark F3 (tecno F3 in real) to buy because of these moments in rF2. I will never forget that moment driving these historic formulas for the first time in rF2. By the way, you can get a 1968 tecno F3 for ~€50000 :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  4. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That sounds so cool! Don't forget to post pictures!:)

This video was what really opened my eyes. I tried my best to explain it in Assetto Corsa until my thread got locked. I wonder how many guys are here now?

vittorio likes this.
  5. KittX

KittX Registered

the ones you've screened are the billboard ones. I know that for sure :p

DaVeX likes this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

Yeah billboards are always facing the direction of the camera, so it would be really hard to tell the difference between a billboard spectator and a 3D one from the track cameras that are typically far away from grandstand. All recent ISI tracks use billboarded spectators, but many modded tracks don't. IMO 3D in this case is just wasting performance, whereas billboard specs cost next to no FPS.

senormen likes this.
  7. vittorio

vittorio Registered

In VR you will immediately recognise billboards near you as fake and very disturbing, because they are like they would be in real life, simply planar images facing you all the time. 3D models near the track and billboard far away therefore are the future, if you care for a not bad VR implementation

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I only have a small monitor down to my side (you can see it in my pic!),
    only for launching titles into VR
    so Ive not used rfactor 2 for quite some time, actually using Assetto corsa at the moment, but its no where near as immersive as rfactor 2

dont think I'll even boot up assetto corsa again once rfactor 2 gets Vr support ( assuming VR works fine with rfactor 2 fps etc)

looking forward to it !

vittorio and vegaguy5555 like this.
  9. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I know but I hadn't the time to take a pic of the 3D ones, lol

10. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I'm afraid that's a slippery slope, the Ai may need a tweak here or there but imagine if the tweaks turned rF2 Ai into AC Ai :eek:. The Ai the main reason i dont turn AC on. It's got lots of cars and tracks that i want to race but having faster cars not overtake just kills any scenes of realism.
    Having the Ai as it is now in rF2 is so much better than anything else, can you please tell me what in your opinion needs improving?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  11. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm finding rF2's physics more immersive then AC in VR at the moment.

Have you guys cast a spell on me?:D

12. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

@Marcel Offermans : are there any breaking Internals Plugin model changes coming in March/April update? @mr_belowski and me are working to make sure Crew Chief shines in rF2 before VR update, is there any internals model beta testing necessary, or is it intact?

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

No need to be so scared it won't go that bad ;) there's no point stopping work on it just because it's good enough. Just like the physics, tire model as other areas theres always progression and improvements to be made.
    There's too many things to mention here on what needs improving, it's been talked about in other threads before now.

14. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

That's true MarcG , if S397 can do Ai tweaks and improve it without taking away what is already here , well then go for it .
    If it can get even better , then fcck yeah .
    I should give em more credit , i guess . I've just seen things that are supposed to be better but instead got worse .lol

MarcG likes this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I don't use AI as I only do ghost car testing & practice or online practice with friends

Not used rfactor2 for some time but from memory when I did try the ai out if curiosity it was the best I'd ever experienced

I sometimes use to include just x1 for eye candy during practicing

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    vegaguy5555 and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  16. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I sometimes use to include just x1 fit eye candy as I was lapping

What the??
    lol

Adrianstealth likes this.
  17. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

Probably only plugins that were using the graphics context will be affected. Please do sign up for the DX11 modding forum, as we intend to also work with plugin developers there to ensure future compatibility.

18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Oh I hope the GID guy is with you already, would suck if that one is not working from day one

19. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Tweaking AI and tire mod, I have to confess, makes me panic a little as well. It's really good here. Can't help recall the guys giving me aditude in AC, say their tire mod is perfect though.

So with that experience I say it's obvious you guys know what you're doing.:)

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  20. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Let me test vr please

I'm good at reporting back many fine details & fiddling with settings

lagg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.