Aerodynamics - What Real World Data Do I Need?

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by KingKenny04, Feb 14, 2017.

1. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Hey all, working on a little project that MAY or MAY NOT bring Late Models and Super Late Models to rFactor 2. I have contact with a couple of companies that make bodies who MAY or MAY NOT be willing to share aero data.

The problem is, when they inevitably ask me, "Well, what sort of data are you looking for?" I have no idea what to tell them. There are plenty of guides on here that explain how to tune aero and what the aero options in the physics files do, but there is nothing I can find on how to translate real world numbers into something the game can use.

So what numbers am I looking for? What data points are useful to somebody modeling aero for rF2?

2. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

The most important are downforce and drag coefficients, and front/rear aero balance. Then you try to achieve those coefficients with the sum of your hdv aero coefficients (front wing+rear wing+diffuser+body+fenders).

KingKenny04 likes this.
  3. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Are you talking about a single drag and a single lift coefficient for the entire car as a single body? Or will they have multiple coefficients for different parts of the car?

4. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

KingKenny04 likes this.
  5. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Have a look at the physics calculators aero page and also look at the skipbarbers HDV for explanations.

KingKenny04 likes this.
  6. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Thanks for all the tips guys.

7. KingKenny04

KingKenny04 Registered

Hey all. I have a team thats willing to share all the aero data they have with me. Can anyone walk me through the aero page of the physics spreadsheet and let me know what all the numbers are supoosed to be? I understand lift and drag coefficients, but have no idea what the numbers for things like rake are supposed to represent.

adamfarmer likes this.