Cant see the launcher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Silvanob2, Jan 29, 2017.

1. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Have you got your latest Windows Drivers all updated?

2. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Hm, it doesn`t make really no sense, because if so, the launcher would never appears...but maybe an av is blocking (maybe partially...) the launcher? Or the win uac?

3. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

I am investigating that, thanks Juergen, could be AVAST or AVG, gonna stop them and see.
    btw what is uac?

4. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

Yes, they all are.

5. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

If it is of importance:
    after reboot, when i start RF2 i see the frame of the launcher and 2 messages "subscribing" and "synchronizing to steam workshop" do you all get that?

btw here my specs:

PC: i7 4770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz
    MEM: 16 Mb
    VIDEO: NVIDIA Gforce GTX TITAN
    MODE: 5040X1050 32 bit color depth
    MB: ASUSTeK Z87- K

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes, that´s normal. As long as you didn´t subscribed to another workshop item it just pops up for short and does nothing.

7. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Yep..i guess, you never let finish rF2 to download all workshop content..?

You have Avg AND Avast installed? From my experience, this is an overkill and could result in serious PC problems. I would uninstall one of them. While Steam is running, look into the download page of rF2 and see, if any downloads are activ.

UAC = User Access Control

8. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

I am pretty sure nothing is downloading as I have the window of steam open but i will check that when I reboot. Anyway why would steam do this download only on the second time and not just after I reboot....sorry I dont get it.
    ok i will uninstall AVG, I think sometimes it acts wierd cause when I start (for exemple) R3E, I get a window saying "Nascar Racing was waked up, we'll put it asleep when you close it" lol I never undestood those bugs.
    And what about UAC, what is it I can do there?

9. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

10. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

Thanks Juergen,
    I desinstalled AVG and AVAST and now the launcher works properly, i started it several times in a row, no prob at all !
    Now i have to reinstall AVAST and see if thats ok.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  11. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Keep AVG...just my personal preference

12. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

Thank you Juergen and all of you who helped me :)

13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Glad you got there in the end :) I use Avast and have never had any problems with it.

14. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

yep i reinstalled Avast but not AVG, i guess there was a conflict between them, going to look for something similar to AVG.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Silvanob2 Never ever ever run two on-access antivirus programs together. You can have a second one for manual scans (though still check for compatibility problems), but their default settings (which will scan all non-trivial file formats when you access them) will not work well together.

There's not really much reason to run two at all actually. All the well known ones are pretty good. (fanboys might like to cite tests showing theirs picked up 0.3% more or whatever; but these people also tend to say "I've been virus free for 15 years!" and no one can know that ;)) You just need enough to stop the ones you were asleep to be cautious of; the ones that still get through are because of something you did intentionally, and any antivirus will struggle with that.

16. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

Hi Lazza,
    actually AVG is not a antivirus but does maintenance, anyway it seems some conflict are going on thats why i kept AVAST and stoped AVG. I am not very good as PC insider but understood what you want to say, only thing i wanted to point out is AVG Cleanup maintenance dont scan for viruses i think.

EDIT Your post is very informative, i got it all wrong i think, thanks o_O

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  17. JackFeelsNerves

JackFeelsNerves Registered

I'm pretty sure AVG is an abbreviation of Anti-Virus Guard...and the brand's parent company is Avast Software.
    Regardless of whether you've configured it for maintenance only, it's an antivirus program. I agree with Lazza's advice to avoid having both those programs installed; they will not play nicely together! :eek::mad::)

18. Silvanob2

Silvanob2 Registered

I didnt know about AVG being a AV and its a brand's parent company of AVAST? wow....i was really not aware of that but yes i understand, thank you guys for those infos :)
    I have a question, do you guys have a folder "rFactor2" in your documents? i ask because i dont have that and was wondering if thats normal and another thing, what app would you use to keep your PC clean?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  19. JackFeelsNerves

JackFeelsNerves Registered

You are welcome, I only just found this out myself: Avast Announces Agreement to Acquire AVG for $1.3B :)
    rFactor2 folder in Documents is a feature of the old (pre-Steam) default install method if memory serves. It might still be the default method if you have not switched off UAC.
    Well, it depends what you mean by "clean"! As discussed, ONE AV program will do the job of keeping the machine free from viruses. I also use Spyhunter by Enigma Software, which is excellent at keeping the malware, adware and other potentially unwanted programs away. I pay a yearly subscription for it (not sure if the free trial is time- or feature-limited), but it's worth every penny.
    Other than that, I use the Windows Disk Cleanup facility every time there's a windows update, graphics drivers update, etc.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

For what it's worth, I never have Steam and non Steam games installed on C: drive and I have UAC off, Win7.
    All program auto updates are disabled.
    I never have any problems at all.