Streaming with rF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by knackko, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Kalle Lints

Kalle Lints Registered

What to do then if there is over 100 spectator? :D

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Of course it must not be displayed but must be rendered. You have to have powerful enough graphics card for this job. It is not possible to render 3d scene without gfx card (in short of course)

BTW: is it the problem to stream video from some computer to video broadcasting service which spread the video to all spectators?
    There are at least a few such providers.

3. knackko

knackko Registered

wohoh !
    To be clear with the subject of the thread : a user playing to rfactor is connected to a server, his second pc is also connected to this server but in spectator and is streaming it with procaster or xsplit. It can be done with rfactor (not in full agreement with the terms of the licence but it is possible).
    Now to do that with rfactor2, because of the online loggin system, you will need to have 2 users ! one is to drive, and the other for the pc spectating ??? a camera is the driver? we have to buy a licence to play, but for streaming too ?
    And why dont we buy a licence to make a dedicated server ?

A good post was a proxy for rfactor spectators and streamers, and this idea is much reallistic and powerful than encoding and streaming on the rfactor server.

BTW, this thread is not about if the streaming have to be done on server or on a client because I dont know any game doing streaming on the server game (is there?).

4. Gimli Oakenshield

Gimli Oakenshield Registered

Totally agree with knackko

5. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

'rF Director.exe' would be a great idea. Just make it a dedicated exe, the sole purpose of which is to 'spectate' and stream races, some TV-style overlays and graphics would be cool too ;)

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

I was going to suggest a proxy but MaXyM beat me to it. The problem with spectating in rF1 is it puts a lot of extra load on the server and you have no way to limit the number of spectators that can join nor can you see how many are connected. You can kick spectators either other then doing something at the firewall level. I think they need to build a spectator exe which serves as a spectator for doing video but can also serve as a proxy. Then we could kill two birds with one stone. It would also be cool if one proxy could connect to another proxy. Then the matchmaker could keep track of all the proxies and redirect spectators evenly to all the proxies according to available bandwidth.

7. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Yup. We only need a stream of complete data from rF 2 dedicated server to a proxy server. From there, community will do the rest.

8. Gimli Oakenshield

Sounds great but I fear it would be too hard to do ...

9. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

No, I don't think it will be too hard to do, because such connection would be almost like there was another client connected to the server. The only difference is - in this case, there will be no throttling applied, so a proxy server will be receiving complete set of data about every driver on the track.
    What's next? An rF 2 client should be able to connect to that proxy server as a spectator (so, there must be a rf 2 dedic server, working in a proxy server mode). Now, you can have as much spectators as proxy server can handle, without affecting the racing server.

10. Gimli Oakenshield

That is the problem in my opinion, I fear it is not implemented yet and must be a bit hard to add now that the code must be nearly finished.
    Maybe I'm wrong, I wish so !

11. superbike81

superbike81 Registered

Slightly off topic question here....

I'm new to rFactor (mostly play iRacing). I'm working on building a second cockpit for head to head gaming. I've got a couple spare screens as well as a 720p projector that I would like to use for local spectating.

Basically I want to be able to have two people race while other people in the room spectate the race TV style with different camera angles and stuff. From what I have read about rFactor 1, in order to do this I would need to rent out the rFactor Event+ package (no way). Is there going to be any way to do this in rFactor 2?

I've got spare screens and a nice laptop I could use for the spectating, I'm just not sure what would be required to set it up.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

12. Tripp

Tripp Registered

Easiest way is let them join the server you 2 race on as spectator you need 1 pc with rfactor installed the cars and mod just need 1 driver join as spectator from that spectator lap top or PC then allow spectator in the server you run in what you do on the spectator lap top installe the tv style you wanna have. this is as it work online about lan mode i not now
    TV Style Display 0.91 http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=TV Style Display

Or rfDynHUD_v1.3 both tv display need to be edit as you wish rfdynhud is esier to edit you can have different tv style in Q and race on with that addon http://www.rfactorcentral.com/detail.cfm?ID=rfDynHUD

PS . i suggest you link the laptop to a bigger screen or a LCD TV or the 720p projector so spectators have a bigger screen to look at what they can do is pick what car and view style they can look at with a keyboard like commenators do when they are doing the work when rfactor is broadcasted i not now how it works in iracing but i think camera man/spectators must work manually with the cameras

13. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Spectator code is already in there. All that needs to be added is what LesiU said.. Add another client type called proxy. So you have three client types, driver, spectator, and proxy. Proxy would work just like a spectator but without throttling. The current server already has the ability to prioritize one client over another. So most of the work is already there. I don't think it would be hard to add at all. Right now rFactor has no way of detecting that someone has joined as a spectator. So you have no way of restricting it or kicking people that don't belong. I run in and endurance league were all the co-drivers want to get on to help spot for there team. There would be around 130 connections if you add up the drivers and all the co-drivers spectating. Having a proxy would totally solve that problem.

14. Gimli Oakenshield

Ok now I understand what you mean.

Seems possible said like that but, I don't know why, I don't believe it will be.
    Even if I agree, that would be great !

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Yep, I think that's a reasonable and attractive feature request for an update, assuming it's not already planned/done of course. Effectively separating crucial car update traffic from spectator traffic is an important tool for managing server load and stability.

16. duartev

duartev Registered

I think that a rFactor Player with a way to stream to youtube or twitchtv is the best