Steam installing workshop items to wrong drive

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Craig Pritchard, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Craig Pritchard

Craig Pritchard Registered

Opened my rFactor 2 today and recieved the "Downloading Workshop Items" screen as if all my mods had been deleted, I checked and they were all still present in my D:\Steam\etc...\etc...\workshop folder on the same drive as my rFactor 2 that they have always been installed in. However steam was no longer recognising them and installing them to my C drive which is a 128GB SSD and I dont want it to do this. I feel something has been corrupted or has failed and is pointing Steam to the wrong drive. I'm running Windows 10 64bit. I dont think Steam supports installing workshop items to a drive different to the one the game is installed on, otherwise I would have been able to fix it myself.

Thank you for any help in advance.

2. blaknift

blaknift Registered

Glad I found someone else, I had the same issue recently. It also did it with a few other games.

3. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yeah, it´s a steam issue. With the latest steam-update there came the ability to allow users to move games to different storage drives or locations, what doesn´t seem to work or leads to some confusion in the steam-client itself.

4. Craig Pritchard

Craig Pritchard Registered

Oh okay, that's good to know, the issue seemed to resolve itself after reinstalling the game a few times. No particular reason why it started working again, but its worked fine ever since. Glad to hear I'm not the only one, thanks for weighing in.