Question to Studio 397 : graphic improvement of RF2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dadaboomda, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I agree. However, the reason that explains actual situation is not so straightforward.

I think that the problem is a mix of several things.

1. As you say the optimization is boring. Before GJED you didn't have a graphical engine where you could instantly see the result and could optimize the clipping distances within which objects are rendered. You had to iteratively change the values in 3dsimed in my case and later try in the sim.

2. Many modders probably don't take the time to properly adjust this value because they may not be aware about the amount of fps to be gained without harming quality with proper optimization. Pop ups can and should be avoided from driving view but using 10000 for every object will dramatically drop fps. 350 is more than enough for many objects. The PITA is to adjust all the objects between 300-700.

I would affirm by my own experience that with respect to using the standard values that 3dsimed and BTB provide (I cannot speak for others) a good optimization increases fps performance between 20%-30%.

If you mix a tedious job that is not strictly mandatory to do with an unclear benefit of it, the result is what we get in many cases. No optimization.

I would also add in order to complete a bit more about my experince with fps that one of the most fps killing things is large objects. I strongly reccommend not to use objects above 2MB. For example terrain which is driveable and collideable. Those who have used RTB which exports the whole terrain as one object probably know what I mean. I had to divide it in over 20 split objects in order to properly work.

It would be great if in the future we could create a thread for optimization purposes. I think gJed can be a very useful too for it where we could do changes and measuee gain instantly. When all the tips and tricks are covered it should be quite easy to create a video tutorial using an example of a bad optimized track and working on it until optimized. measuring at the end the gains in both quality (absence of popups) and performance (high and steady fps).

The Iron Wolf and Tuttle like this.
  2. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

But I have a system that can handle no popup so I want no pop up. I don't care about when it gets culled or no or is behind a fence and still being drawn, my system can handle it. I used to manually edit all the annoying objects in 3Dsimed for rfactor but rfactor2 for some reason it doesn't save the .scn file. Move over to the cam.ini. Also its a percentage not an actual LOD=1.000000 draw everything for 1.000000 but a percentage 100% of what ever the value is for the object. so say it is specified to be drawn out at 100meters , changing the value to 1.500000 would mean it would be drawn out at 150meters. It's a percentage game. I agree some machines may stutter and barf but others not so. so please give us the option.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

While I agree that modders should pay attention to the optimization of tracks and vehicles, I think that the feature to have a multiplier can be helpful in both ways!

For struggling PCs they may want to reduce this value to increase fps. With VR coming, lowering resolution is not an option and this might be an easy way to maintain the 90 fps minimum required for a non sickening experience. Even acceptably optimized tracks could probably benefit somehow of this extra refining method without losing quality.

For capable PCs or simply the ones that would sacrifice other graphical aspects in order to eliminate popping up it can be a practical option.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

And this folks is why it is bad to depend too much on mods, especially when you make small fixes becomes too hard to do or cause mismatches

5. stonec

stonec Registered

The tracks I have converted, I have sometimes gained up to 100% FPS when putting proper object LODs compared to no LODs. Run a huge track like Nordschleife with no LODs and you would see the problem with this idea, I bet it wouldn't run 60 FPS on any current hardware unless you lower graphics settings. LOD multipliers don't work, they just create problems. Some games like GTA V have very clever automated LOD systems, where bigger objects like buildings are visible further away than small trees and bushes. Unless you have this sort of system, multiplying with a % slider will never work well. That's why no modern sims use it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Talking about GTA V and graphics I wish rF2 would kinda look like that one, great performance and looks on any setting you use, fantastic work as always, Rockstar is top notch

7. slimsymeat

slimsymeat Registered

However editing the cam.ini has worked for me for years in rFactor and now in rFactor2. However it's a massive pain to edit in rFactor2. It works, I get well in excess of 60fps in most mods and tracks. All I want is an easier option that's all. I have suggested if there was a line I could add in the PLR. All I want to do is have some control over the pop up. Everyone is letting this get way more complicated than it needs to be.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Most of the stuff that pops up is stuff not needed anyhow

E.g. Stuff that doesn't effect racecraft -track/cars

Min track detail should hopefully turn off all this stuff plus give fps boost too

Slamfunk3 likes this.
  9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

LOL! Very good point. They'll be waiting at that castle gates with lighter fluid soaked sulfer and limed sticks ready to ignite.

On a more important note, Marcel don't forget if you need any VR beta testers don't hasitate to ask...............can't blame me for trying. :D

10. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

11. Bob Gnarley

Bob Gnarley Registered

I'm a noob to RF2 and couldn't understand why the draw distance on ai cars was so woefully short. Off the start at Spa '66 half the field would have no engine or suspension by half way up Eau Rouge.

I came across this thread while looking for a solution and thought I would give raising the LOD multiplier a go when I noticed this line in the Player.Json file:

"Auto Detail Framerate#":"Details and visible vehicles will be automatically reduced (by up to half) if framerate is under this threshold (0 to disable)"

I run my monitor at 75 fps, so had "in-game" Auto Detail Fps set to 75fps.

By going in-game> options> display and setting Auto Detail Fps to OFF,it has cured the problem of vanishing vehicle detail for me.

I'm not sure if you have the same issue but maybe this will help. Good luck!

Guimengo likes this.
  12. peterchen

peterchen Registered

No wonder that when you set "Auto detail Framerate" to your average FPS, details will be reduced!
    I would recommend to set this to 50 or so, as this is the minimum amount of frames you need to run smoothly.

13. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

auto detail framerate is extremely usefull in some emergency, I always keep it

Bob Gnarley and peterchen like this.
  14. HelioZuazua

HelioZuazua Registered

Hi:
    If you like to perform graphics , as far as personally know , two few tricks for Artists to run a MOD in a low performance pc.

-Try to AVOID use double sided materials.(Is a long expplanation but mainly double pass means lot of calculations ,and lightningh shader computing).Best choice here is use a Standar material and flipping the geometry and normals in 3d software, shadows will shows better and lighting too.As far as we dont have complex objects (cloths , etc).Try to imagine a fully track with barriers , fences , etc etc all over , the double sided shader needs to compute an enormous data.

-AVOID terrain shaders.As we can see in the shader information provided , this shader always be a nightmare for performance since its vertex colors are mixed with alpha channels in a knot of performance (ISI way).If your MODs will be used in a low performance PC try to avoid it.(race surface shaders too)

-CHECK VERTEX in your meshes.As far as lot of modders uses 3dsimed and this software has a missundertood (exploit all polygons and mess with smothgroups , vertex channels , normals , etc) and seems noone cares , people needs to understand that if you have a cube (8 vertex) and exploit it , (24 vertex) , and notice than shaders works over vertex ................. christal clear.

-Use SMOOTHING GROUPS whether possible instead of poly mesh.

-AVOID billboard trees.RF2 uses a billboard shader doublesided to the trees.Try to avoid it too and use a planar/flipped geometry version.

Hope you find it usefull.

15. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

That is basically a tutorial to make a track looking rubbish, running even worse, and also not using any of the benefits of rF2.

Good one. :)

16. peterchen

peterchen Registered

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

GTA ha ha brilliant !

entertaining thread

GEEDOGG04 likes this.
  18. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered