Latest Roadmap Update - January 2017!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

background music in the UI is plain cheesey & very gamey yuk!

just my opinion of course

bwana and jerrymcc like this.
  2. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

That thought already crossed my mind. I do hope that car is reasonably high up the agenda.

3. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

4. cristianuk

cristianuk Registered

duration of the skids can be changed in TDF File

5. boxer

boxer Registered

The improved shadow work is welcomed but I'm not a fan of over saturated look. To me looks less realistic.

If there is massive saturation adjustment I hope the studio will supply an option to tone it down in game.
    I know these are just WIPs so let's wait and see...

Will S397 release the beta anyone else that want's to try it... like ISI did in some cases under "Testing" banner?

Kelju_K, Marc Collins, Ozzy and 4 others like this.
  6. stonec

stonec Registered

Yep, and the problem with saturation is ISI adjusted it already 2 or 3 times and people were never happy. First they complained rF2 looked extremely oversaturated and bright, then it went to looking oversaturated and dark, and finally to undersaturated and "washed out". Last ISI tracks have again moved towards a bit more saturated, and now it seems with DX11 there will be an increase in saturation. I would much prefer a simple slider to adjust this, because people will always complain that rF2 looks dull/cartoonish/dark/bright depending on what screen and what mod they use.

Emery, Kelju_K, Marc Collins and 4 others like this.
  7. bwana

bwana Registered

I didn't want to say it but l agree , going back toward what the haters called the toon look of rf2 but look has never been my interest in any sim , WIP is very good

8. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

As far as music ... 1st thing I turned off in rF1 as well.

Mauro, Ernie, peterchen and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think apart from the sky there isn't a huge adjustment in those shots. There's certainly no golf course green on the verge.

Shadows though, and the overall darkness/contrast of 'shadowy bits', is great.

F1Aussie and bwana like this.
  10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

In rf2 you have the music-off option for years now. Would be great to have a music-on option aswell now. :rolleyes:

Guimengo likes this.
  11. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

I don't know if I understood correctly, will the new UI still be in-game like it is now or out-game like Assetto Corsa for example?

12. TwoHardCore

TwoHardCore Registered

I might seem a bit rude with this, but have any of you people who are saying the new screens look "over-saturated" ever been outside?

The sky in those screenshots showing some updates would still be considered by me to be "washed out" if I were to compare them to what I see when I step outside and look at the real sky. (If you really want, I'll provide you with photos).

At any rate, I sure hope that we'll have the ability to adjust skies with a default weather file(s) or some such (much like how it's done in AC). I do like what I see in the screen-shots so far. Looking forward to more updates.

13. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

ingame

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

out-game like AC? not sure I follow what you're saying there. Both RF2 & AC have a similar Menu in that you enter the game and there it is then you load the track and have in race UI.

15. jjcook

jjcook Registered

when are you going to fix the server list?

before i join a server i want to know if its full of ai(who is on it), what car and track versions i need and whether the server allows downloads

please fix this - casual online racing is broken because of this

Guimengo likes this.
  16. Traveller

Traveller Member

That is the problem. I started with a TI 99/4 in late 1979, and really cut my computer teeth on an Apple //e. I had so much fun with the latter machine, for more than a decade. So I don't have a problem with roaming around directories, and tinkering with the contents of files. Kids growing up these days have slick UI to use with all of their devices. Very few, if any, have any interest at all in roaming around directories, messing with files, and certainly not digging into the contents of files.

The rFactor series historically was written by programmers for modders. That is a niche market at best, and has little appeal these days. I can attest to that as there has been absolutely no interest at all shown by anyone with regard to helping me with my Blender scripts for rFactor. I've asked for help for going on six years now. It upset me at first, but I've come to realize it's a different type of community. If you know what I'm referring to, answer this question: Do you think that a "Monaco Rocks", and what it ultimately led to, could happen these days. I don't.

So if Studio 397 is revamping the UI to make it easier for folks to play the game, I say go for it.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

While this is for sure needed you can check with Steam for now, some servers are more obvious if they are with AI than others but it makes possible to try to guess
    3.jpg

18. stonec

stonec Registered

The AC UI is technically out-game. The main game app only launches when you press start button (you can check in task manager that there are two processes and the UI app hides ones you click start but remains running in background, it's pretty clever). I think raceroom also uses this solution.

I think rF2 will most likely have a similar out-game UI solution, as it's more practical for VR use. The main UI you navigate with VR off, then when you launch the "main game" and put VR on you want everything to be VR compatible.

19. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I am less interested in the look of the new UI than the logic of it. The current rF2 UI (and the original) are not terrible designs, though very pedestrian and not polished. However, it's the illogic and inconsistency of it that drives me batty (and most new users, too, I suspect).

For any new UI, decisions need to be made about what are the defaults and then when you stray from default at what point or points does that new setting get retained or forgotten. If I change the weather, does it affect only the track I am on? Does every other setting that could affect a track work the same way? Do we get a "Remember" check box at the individual track level, and/or at the general level? Which overrides the other? Multiply this by every track and car and garage/set-up and series related setting and you see the problem. If this stuff is not sorted, the new graphics will be irrelevant.

Oh yeah, which settings have to be adjusted before you load the car/track combo, and which can be adjusted "on the fly?" That has never been apparent from the current or past UI going back to the original rFactor.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    boxer likes this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Agreed, I just am not looking forward to the myriad of complaints that the color of mauve used to highlight the thingamjingie is too flowery.