Track Modding Resources/Tutorials/Scripts/Plugins

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Woodee, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Woodee

Woodee Registered

I have been collecting resources / tutorials and things while I keep learning modding techniques. I thought I would share them with you all. If anyone has spotted tutorials that they have found useful, post em up!

Useful 3dsmax Scripts and Plugins
    Blender Track making Tutorials

Road
    Terrain
    Texturing

Modelling
    Animation
    Lighting

Track Dev Tutorials (by Jka)

gJED
    If anyone has found any more Track Modding Resources/Tutorials/Scripts/Plugins lately.... post them up so I can add them to the list I have already compiled.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2022
  2. Nuno Lourenço

Nuno Lourenço Registered

Great research Woodee :). Thank you

Woodee likes this.
  3. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Thanks!

Woodee likes this.
  4. Woodee

Woodee Registered

If anyone has found any more Track Modding Resources/Tutorials/Scripts/Plugins lately.... post them up so I can add them to the list I have already compiled.

Euskotracks likes this.
  5. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Blender Track Making Tutorials

Mauro and GPNeville like this.
  6. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    GPNeville and Woodee like this.
  7. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

Some scripts I find useful.
    Snap! Use this to snap verts to the nearest vert on an editable poly or mesh object. Good for fixing gaps between road and grass quickly.
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/snap

Dummy replaced by random object. Use this for filling grandstands with people quickly. I found this on a website a while ago, and I don't remember what it was. The way I use it is to create a spline where I want people, align it to the surface if it's on a grassy area, use the spacing tool and put dummys along the spline. Then I select the people, and run the script.
    Here it is, you'll need to open the maxscript editor and save it yourself.
    Code:
    thecars = selection as array

for o in $Dummy* do
    (
        r = random 1 thecars.count

thecar = instance thecars[r]
        thecar.transform = o.transform

)

8. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

good work. Has anyone planned (or doing) a resource site for trackside objects - trees, people, buildings etc? Anything people are willing to share? I can imagine that would be pretty useful

Jeferson Richart likes this.
  9. Hooves_mcg

Hooves_mcg Registered

So how does one mod a track in now that GJed is no longer in the Support/tools folder? I'm going to be using Modo as well instead of 3ds max.

10. Emery

Emery Registered

Blender with Traveller's scripts and 3dSimEd are currently the only rF2-aware 3d tools available if you're not going to use 3ds Max.

11. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

More precisely, you only need 3DSimEd and Blender as both can deal with FBX files. However, Traveller's scripts may come in handy in some areas (and will be more if they will be updated to newer rF2 tech).

12. mschreiner

mschreiner Registered

13. roberteker

roberteker Registered

Thank you. It's so confusing as someone new to this to see outdated information all over the forum...

So in this stickied thread, your comment seems to be the only valuable information right now (2019) for getting geometry into rFactor 2, and the rest is obsolete.

14. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

In the meantime the infamous @LilSki :cool: has released a track making series, which I really can recommend! Though the series is made with Assetto Corsa in mind, most of the process can be transferred and used to rFactor track modding as well. Also non-track modders can learn something here ;)

Blender, first in version 2.79 and later 2.8, was used as the modelling software in this series. Some other required tools can be found in each episodes description (if any).
    You can grab the latest version on the official website Blender.org.

Need some free props or materials/textures for your track? Have a look at Blendswap or TextureHaven or 3D Model Haven or Sketchfab.

@LilSki track making series on Youtube
    Episode 1
    Documenting the process of building a track from LiDAR data in Blender. Episode one shows the basic process of using Cloud Compare to bring the data into Blender and to start building the main track surface.

Episode 2
    LiDAR Classification, curves for objects, making basic wall objects, various tips and tricks

Episode 3
    Basic UV maps and materials

Episode 4
    Spawn points, basic exporting into kseditor, setting basic materials and object names to get the track in game.

Episode 5
    Basics of moving a project from 2.79 to 2.8

Episode 6
    Going over the process of building a high resolution road mesh.

Episode 7
    Land filling, wall issues with banking, using displacements for array objects.

Corti, ir Sindaco, GPNeville and 4 others like this.
  15. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Building Tools
    For Blender. In case you need something to quickly fill your trackside with buildings :cool:

Almost forgot to mention the Nature Clicker to fill the trackside with nature objects.

Corti, Emery and GPNeville like this.
  16. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Quick update on the Building Tools addon for Blender.

Version 1.0.2 was released and you can grab this from the website.

And the addon's author has also published a brief tutorial series that introduces the addon and describes it's function.
    Part 1
    Part 2
    Part 3

Corti, Hazi and Mauro like this.
  17. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Post up your blender 2.8+ track making stuff.... unsure if the processes have changed a bit since their overhaul.

Hazi likes this.
  18. fab06

fab06 Registered

is theres some AO tutorials with some good explain for UnwrapUVW for RF2 multi object texture somewhere ? ?

19. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

Well, there are plenty of tutorials on AO and UV mapping out there. However, I do not know of any rF2 specific one. My guess would be that you would have to learn from the individual ones and transfer your knowledge to the game requirements ;)

20. Frederick Alonso

Frederick Alonso Registered

The way I work is just using a checkered flag as texture. Then I try to map it so I see the squares just perfectly. In 3dsmax it works fastest for me. Select all faces of an object > uvwunwrap > peel mode see what works best based on model > click the align uvw button so you see all maps. Then one by one I make a new layout and export the uvwmap to a high res bmp. Important is to "stitch" your map. Then collapse all layers edit poly + uvwunwrap in most cases on object. Add a simple T1 shader before all this with a good reference image. After all this I usually export to GMT. If there is something wrong 3dsmax will show errors on the export. Usually I get one if I forgot a material on object. Then edit the GMT with 3dsimed or gjed and add the shader you want and make a fresh texture from that bmp you exported before. You can also rework them to create a bump or specular map. This is the way I work the fastest. Will see if I can make a simple video tutorial and will drop it soon.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    fab06 and Corti like this.