Newbie question on car configuration

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Paul Butcher, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Paul Butcher

Paul Butcher Registered

I'm planning to use rFactor to practice circuits ahead of race meetings. With that in mind, I'd like to get the car driving as similarly to my race car as possible. I really don't care at all about getting it to *look* right at all, but do want the handling, gear ratios and acceleration as close to the real thing as possible.

Is there any kind of introductory documentation on how I should go about doing this anywhere?

Many thanks in advance,

2. Lgel

Lgel Registered

You could have a look at this info.
    http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/rfactor-2-setup-guides.84567/
    Cheers.

3. Paul Butcher

Paul Butcher Registered

Thanks for that. If I understand it correctly, it's more about how to go about setting up an existing car, rather than create a new car with similar physical characteristics to the one I'll be driving. To give a specific example - how do I configure the power of the engine and the redline? Or the weight?

4. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I wrongly supposed you raced in a car already modded in RF2.
    What you try to do is an other task, modding a car from scratch is much more complex, and out of my reach.
    Wish you good luck.
    Cheers.

5. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Welcome to modding!
    Mass is defined in the HDV, Power is defined as Torque at a Specific RPM in the Engine INI, Redline is in the HDV, Gearing is in an INI, usually called Gears.ini. Some things (Such as gearing) will be defined in a specific file yet overwritten by special entries in the HDV, or by the upgrade.ini. All files, once unpacked and placed into devmode can be altered with a text editor.

If you have the actual car you are driving at your disposal, you have an advantage over some modders, as you can just measure the data you need, but some of the things you'll need to measure are not measured easily (Inertia, Aero).

What have you done thus far? Is the car in devmode?

6. Paul Butcher

Paul Butcher Registered

So, when I said I was a newbie, I meant it! I installed rFactor 2 for the very first time 2 days ago, and am really only just starting to find my feet with it. I've no idea, for example, what "the HDV" is, where I would find "the Engine INI" or how to "place the car in devmode".

I really need some properly introductory documentation about how to get started. I'm sure there must be some somewhere, but I've no idea where to look.

Thanks!

7. bwana

bwana Registered

Which car are you racing , not all cars That are available are in workshop and many can be downloaded and installed seperate to steam ..

8. Paul Butcher

Paul Butcher Registered

Yes, I'm very well aware that the Formula Jedi is not currently in rFactor 2. That's why I'm asking about how to go about creating one.

9. Paul Butcher

Paul Butcher Registered

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for

10. Emery

Emery Registered