When will VR be here?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RRL Shadow, Jan 8, 2017.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

Bill Gates famously said 640 kB RAM will be enough for everyone, so it's a bit dangerous to predict the future.

Also there is no need to get 90 FPS anymore to achieve a fluid VR experience (read more here), let alone 144 Hz.

2. Bkim

Bkim Registered

Haha, as soon as you put people in corners they start asking for facts:rolleyes:
    Probably as much as you wasting your text as reply:rolleyes:

3. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I was bored at work so not really ;)

Narrowbackwing and Euskotracks like this.
  4. mtojay

mtojay Registered

vr at the current state is not for everyone, not yet. there are people who simply cant put up wiht the resolution and there are people like me who can. i personally cant drive on monitors anymore. 200races in iracing with vr. first the dk2 now cv1 and my irating is at 4k atm. so i am no alien but i am not slow either. i know my way around the tracks and i am pretty competitive. my racecraft went through the roof after owning a vr device and having a feeling for the size of my car for the first time. something that no 3screen setup ever did for me. its not only the fov that helps your judgement, its the feeling for the size of you car and how you are able to place it at the exact same spot you want it to. i am way more consistent, you dont see pixels on a 2d screen anymore and look for a pixelreference of your braking markers, you now have proper 3d in life like size which (once you are actually accustomed to the resolution) will help immensly with picking out braking points.

the most people who will tell us that vr is just a fad and already dead are the ones without enough money.

but people have to realize that of all the gaming communitys its the simulator community that is willing to spend the most money.

if i add all the costs of my simrig then the vr headset is just one element of many. we are willing to buy direct drive force feedback wheels with industrial motors in the price range from 500 to a few thousand dollars alone. we as a community are the perfect early adopters for a new and upcoming technology that is doing EXACTLY what we want to achieve. as much immersion as possible. getting as close to reallife racing as possible. everyone of us wants to be a racecar driver but nearly everyone of us is not able to achieve that dream. simracing in vr is the closest we can do and it will only get better from this point on.

it will be less expensive over the years, it will be even more immersive over the years, the quality will be better, the comfort will be better, people will used to vr sickness more and more.

after using vr constantly since mid 2014 i personally am 100% convinced that in 10 years from now at least 80% of the simracing community will own a vr headset and will laugh at how people talked about this brilliant future back in the beginning of the wonderful technology.

whenever i see people in the simracing community hating about vr i simply put on my vr headset and start giggling along leaving the pitlane knowing that the next 20 minutes will be one of the best i ever had since being a simracer. simple as that.

5. Depco

Depco Registered

With every new technology comes fanboys and haters. Bkim is clearly on the haters list with regard to VR. I am starting to wonder if he is also in the rF2 haters group. He said in another thread,

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/sp.54236/

that he loves rF2, but then in the same post insults S397 for their name choice, and their decision to get rid of then online subscription. He even writes the accusation about getting rid of online as if they removed the online portion of rF2 altogether. He then makes accusations that S397 does not care about single player and that they are not doing any work on AI. He changed his original post to soften his tone only slightly. However, it is clear that he is dissatisfied with S397's development choices in its short tenure.

I can understand a person's desire to find answers to questions about their favorite sim. I think his tone and verbiage could probably be changed to more accurately reflect his feelings about the sim, unless of course he is actually trying to show that he dislikes the Sim. Because that is definitely what he is currently showing with his aggressive and demeaning posts.

bluet, RaceNut, bwana and 2 others like this.
  6. Ulrich Diedrichsen

Ulrich Diedrichsen Registered

I bought last year a HTC Vive for racing sims, but I did just a couple of test runs in different racing sims.
    The display resolution is to low for me and me personal feeling is that the VR thing is too heavy to wear for longer then 10 minutes. So I am disappointed about the current state of VR hardware for race sims.

For casual games or Google Earth VR is great, but for race sims I didn't use it.
    So VR in rf2 has for me no priority. Just my 2 cents.

I am not a VR hater and I love rf2. My top wishes for rf2 are: realistic clutch / gearbox and an update of the old F3 cars :)

MarcG likes this.
  7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hope to try google earth be tonight !

I'm amazed some are late to move to VR for sim racing (maybe because these are rfactor2 forums & rfactor2 is not yet compatible ? )

VR & sim racing is a match made in heaven I love it & could never go back ! But you do need:

1) Good PC ( gtx 1070 or 1080 ) with overclocked cpu

2) Good settings to sharpen visuals

3) If you need glasses then good contact lenses

Without the above the experience could seem annoying

Magus likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

This may be a very stupid question but isn't possible to make trackIR read VR device movement and use it in rF2?

9. Ulrich Diedrichsen

Ulrich Diedrichsen Registered

Ok, I never spend time in sharpen the visuals. Maybe I try it again. In Dirt Rally was the VR good. Today I receive my
    Motion Unit V3 from next level racing. Then I will try the full stuff: VR with motion in Dirt Rally :D

I will try to spend some time in the VR setup, but my major concern is, that it feels not very comfortable with all the cables
    on the Vive :(

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Replies in bold as I'm on my phone and it makes quoting a hassle! (You may need to Click To Expand to see them!)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  11. stonec

stonec Registered

Why would you want to use trackIR when VR headsets have built-in head tracking? A lot of R&D in VR device development was spent on minimizing the lag when you move your head. trackIR is probably nowhere fast enough to react to provide a fluid experience, so you'll likely end up with nausea.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Because right now rF2 does nto support it maybe? That's why the question, and was just a question... not like I'd like to use :rolleyes:

13. stonec

stonec Registered

Ah... ok. Well, it will support in two months.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

thanks for replies,

re.numbers maybe its just me but I know personally about 7 sim-racers, 3 of us are using VR 100% of the time (iracing due to good support)
    & the other 4 are saving/upgrading their PC's ( & will purchase headsets) etc and will be VR very very soon
    +only me & 1 other of them use the iracing forum

ps none of us use iracing on the steam platform so steam stats could be misleading, when rfactor 2 goes VR I'm fairly confident that new people who are VR users will be around here which is great news

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

That's why it's just a question, people have been asking for VR support for a long time so just wondering if this was a solution they could have adopted

16. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Using TrackIR for VR makes absolutely no sense. I don't know either how do you figure out that tracking is the thing that need to be addressed to make VR usable.

17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

To me it does, it'd have to track the VR device movement instead of using a camera, you know injecting the device "position" into the trackIR software. Would be a fun experient anyway for any programer out there, I may be seeing it too simplistic tho but does not sound impossible to do as long as this VR data can be tracked.
    Oh well you guys are no fun, geez, nvm. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

18. Balles

Balles Registered

I've not played rf2 since I had a DK2 and now a CV1. I'm waiting for rf2 to have VR like a kid is waiting for christmas.
    The trackIR thing is not a dumb question since I've tried to have a rf2 VR fix mixing VorpX and opentrack, which can be a free equivalent of trackIR. The result was not satisfying at all visually and in term of delay in head movements but it was working.

Just one word for the VR haters : I think they have to play on a 15" CRT with pentium 2 at best because big flat monitors with good resolution, cpu, graphic cards are useless and expensive, they play with a keyboard because sim hardware is expensive too and keyboard do the job just as good.
    Don't hate what you can't afford (I can't afford a Ferrari but I like it !).

Seriously, good VR is one year old only, and it's already amazing. Time will tell us if it has a future but for me it does not have a future, IT IS the future !

bluet likes this.
  19. Magus

Magus Registered

My previous set-up was triple screens & purchased a CV1 (3rd-hand) with all knowledge of its cons but just wanted to get the VR experience out of my system & thought I would be putting it back on the classifieds where I purchased it without too much loss incurred.

The 1st time I played AC all I could focus on was the pixles being so visible. Every time my focus was on the resolution & it took me 2 weeks or so to adapt to the graphical quality of VR. I don't classify myself as a gamer as I spend 90% of my game time playing racing games/sims & I am pretty much only interested in this genre. Therefore, for 2 weeks I was solely playing AC/pCARS in VR & after this initial period of tweaking graphics settings, learning how to wear the HMD & adjusting to the the graphical difference of monitor vs HMD I have packed up my monitors completely & sold them on.

I love rF2. It has been my sim of choice since the start. People have always criticised it for its graphical ability but what has kept me returning are the physics, FFB & overall immersion & game play it creates whilst racing. And now this is why VR has taken me over to AC, because again graphics are less important than game-play & immersion. The VR experience is just phenomenal in racing (for me).

I'm now just racking up hours in AC waiting patiently for both rF2 & AMS to enter VR. Roll on March (fingers crossed)!

20. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I am curious, why did you use opentrack with vorpx? Did you try improving headtracking? Vorpx supports headtracking. Also, speaking of image quality I recently figured out good settings, to me rF2 now looks no worse than native titles. The only problem: stepped tracking and framerate ~45FPS on GTX 1080 (it is actually not GPU bound by what I am seeing). If there's interest (till native support comes in) I can share settings.