WC wildcards .... more info please

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Nibiru, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I'm having trouble understanding these. I have searched and read everything I can find (which doesn't have many answers). I have managed to get all the items I need for now working but there didn't seem to be any logic to some of the items.
    Looking at the ISI Dissenter some of the cars have an extra3 but there is no reference to it in the .veh file. Where I could only get mine to work by adding code in the .veh file. So why is that?

Then with the code why do some names work and others don't? and I found the name inside of the "" had to be lower case.

here is my code
    Code:
    rims="rims"
    Extra2="extra2"
    Extra3="extra3"
    Extra4="extra4"  //windshieldout
    Extra5="inwshield"
    WCWINDOWSOUT="windowsout"
    WCWINDOWSIN="windowsin"
    Now I read somewhere that WCWINDSHIELDIN and WCWINDSHIELDOUT work but I couldn't get it to work so started playing with some names and this is what I could get to work. BUT It took a while to find right names. EG I tried Extra
    Code:
    Extra5="wshieldin"
    but that didn't work but swapping the in to the front did, why?
    I tried
    Code:
    Extra4="wshieldout" 
    no good, tried
    Code:
    Extra4="outwshield"  
    but that was no good. I tried many other names that didn't work and settled for what I have.

Confused

2. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

The Wildcards have to be defined in the gmt of the models. I believe renaming the extras in the vehicle files just allows them to be renamed like Extra5="wshieldin" will allow the model that contains the WC extra5 to be called with wshieldin instead of extra5. With your examples above like rims="rims", that would be redundant in that case because rims="rims" doesn't redirect the call but directs it back to what was already being called.

Nibiru likes this.
  3. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would show a sample from my rMegane:

The rims are paintable. the respective *.gmt file have the Material Name "WCEXTRA1". The painted rim dds is named "RM09_01EXTRA1.DDS", where the important part is "EXTRA1".

Nibiru likes this.
  4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

In the veh file, you only need to define things that you're re-naming. So for instance:
    Extra5="PB" // Pit Board - name your file P1_XXPB.dds
    That tells the game that the file P1_12PB.dds is going to be replacing the WCExtra5 material that I've applied to the model.

Nibiru and Juergen-BY like this.
  5. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I should have mentioned that the material names are as follows
    material name: WCRIMS for - rims="rims" material
    material name: WCEXTRA2 for Extra2="extra2"
    material name: WCEXTRA3 for Extra3="extra3"
    material name: WCEXTRA4 for Extra4="extra4" //windshieldout
    material name: WCEXTRA5 for Extra5="inwshield"
    material name: WCWINDOWSOUT for WCWINDOWSOUT="windowsout"
    material name: WCWINDOWSIN for WCWINDOWSIN="windowsin"

At first I tried no naming in veh file as the material name was the name of the file "mycarnamerims" or "mycarnameextra2" but that didn't work. So thats when I tried the naming in the veh file which started to work.
    I don't understand why theses worked
    material name: WCWINDOWSOUT for WCWINDOWSOUT="windowsout"
    material name: WCWINDOWSIN for WCWINDOWSIN="windowsin"
    but this didn't
    material name: WCWINDSHIELDOUT for WCWINDSHIELDOUT="windshieldout"
    material name: WCWINDSHIELDIN for WCWINDSHIELDIN="windshieldin" and why did "inwshield" but "wshieldin" didn't and "outwshield" didn't.
    As there is 4 window extras I wanted the naming to be simple so just looking at the name of the file you would know which window your working on.

6. DaREALMastaD

DaREALMastaD Registered

Are you packaging these or using the skin directory? One thing I found out was the extra skinning other than the alt skins in the skin folder (not packaging with a mas) for the vehicle had to be in the respective car's misc folder. Not sure if that helps but it was a piece I was missing for the skins like rims etc to work.

*EDIT* So if you're using the skin directory for a specific car, such as a helmet skin for the number 1 stockcar (not sure if they have a WC for the helmet so this is just as an example), you would have the livery/skin in the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_StockCar_2015\SC2015_1, let's call the livery/skin "SC_alt_1.dds" which would exist in this folder. The helmet dds would go in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\Settings\ISI_StockCar_2015\SC2015_1\misc and for this livery/skin, under this misc folder, the file would be called "SC_alt_1HELMET.dds".

*EDIT2* I also found out that the WC must be right after the livery/skin naming (no spaces or underscores) such as "SC_alt_1WILDCARD.dds" and not like "SC_1_alt_WILDCARD.dds" or "SC_1_alt WILDCARD.dds"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Nibiru likes this.
  7. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I realise that rims="rims" is the same but if I didn't put that in the .veh file the rims didn't work.

8. Coutie

Only thing I can think of is you spelled something wrong, but looking at your above post would make that not make any sense.

What exactly are you trying to do? The wc textures only work on car skins, if you don't include them with the skin, it just uses the default texture you set in the material.

Nibiru likes this.
  9. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have everything working, I just wanted to understand why some names worked and others didn't. Like why WCWINDSHIELDIN and OUT didn't work and why inwshield worked but wshieldin didn't and outwshield didn't work. I wanted to name things so skinners could easily see which window they are working on as there a 4 window textures.

DaREALMastaD likes this.
  10. Coutie

Oh. Well, you can change the name of it in the vehicle file, as you know. If possible, you should try to merge the four window textures into one for better performance.

Nibiru likes this.
  11. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I might make them 2 textures inside and out but Im not going to do 1 for both.

12. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Sorry but I have to ask, Why are there "4" textures for windows?? when you only need 2.

13. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

I have a separate one for the winshield thats in preparation for when we have bugs rain and peel off ;)

14. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Ok so you want a screen with dirt, (bugs, mud) that will reacted like a tear off . this is the interior windshield. The one you use as the WC (wildcard) wouldn't have this on it. So you really only need the all windows outside and the screen + banner interior as WC. The interior one we use to change the banner and/or the car number or driver name has a black alpha with white (solid) for the edited textures only. The screen that is see through, were the dirt would be is not needed as a WC for the painters to change, These screens need to be a animation. As such that the animation 00, 01, 02 and so on would change on time on the track. Then for it to return back to 00, of the animation when you pit or go back to the garage, The trick is to slow the animation down so the build up of dirt is gradual, not fast like the rim blur. You could make very small changes to a multitude of textures but that would be just painful I think. Hahah..

Again, you only need two paint able window textures as Wildcards.

15. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Make those animations for me....and I'll make 2 textures. Fair trade off I think

16. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

Hahaha... Yeah would be. Making the textures are simple enough, The questions are how many,This depends on how far the animation goes through. I'm not sure if this can be altered. What size, do you want wiper path., do you want wiper blade smudge (blur) increase. Can it be turned off on dry tracks or affect lessened? I'd guess you'd need two types, 1 for dry, 1 for wet. would mean you'd have to set it up with a switch (so to speak) like the tyre side wall when changing from slicks to wet or ....others. Have you got a animated wiper working? If so, the blade path would need to match.

Admittedly it would look good when working correctly but it want be a five minute job. Will need testing, editing a lot but I can't see why it wouldn't work with a little time and effort.

17. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Only the best quality will cut it. Yes I have a working wiper. You make the path and my wiper will follow

18. D.Painter

D.Painter Registered

[​IMG] So just pass with a push then?

I'll have a look at it over the weekend. Should be able to get a working example in SimEd.
    I've never seen a working wiper in rF2. What cars have it? Does it use a 3D model or 2D texture? The 2D would work from inside the car but not outside in replays.

19. Nibiru

Nibiru Registered

Check ISI Nissan 370z and skyline Im sure they have something

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Howston G4 has one, too.