Formula 1 1988 released

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by carrera.4, Aug 24, 2016.

1. ebeninca

ebeninca Registered

I think the more intelligent option is to put some delay into paddle shifter, making at least more advantageous to use h-shifter, which is the correct shifter.

Marc Collins likes this.
  2. JanJoost

JanJoost Registered

I understand your point, but at the moment there is already a shift delay wich is very noticeable when using a h-shift.

Guimengo likes this.
  3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

So what is the conclusion? That the correct h-shifter usage needs some sort of penalty? I do not understand? Overriding the h-pattern and using a sequential (paddles or stick) to gain a shift speed advantage , which rF2 allows, is the problem. That could be mitigated by adding the time delay there and removing it from the h-pattern. Then we would have some penalty for trying to short-cut the h-pattern shifter. There is already a penalty from its basic use because it's physically slower to operate than a sequential. I must be misunderstanding something.

4. JanJoost

JanJoost Registered

When you have a H-shifter option in the upgrades of the cars it is historically accurate. It is a proper historic mod not a league mod in my opinion. As it is now I shift, release the clutch, and then it takes time to engage. It should be direct.

Guimengo likes this.
  5. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Registered

I really enjoy driving these cars. Very good feel. :)

AlanK likes this.
  6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I really like the update as well and that you are keep on with improving this mod. There are two problems that I discovered so far. AI seems to have some issues at Spa going through Eau Rouge at speed so they slow down alot there. Another thing that needs improvement are the shadows at Monaco. They are flickering/disappering and reappearing alot so that it gets really disturbing. :)

7. carrera.4

carrera.4 Registered

ty for feedback
    i will give a look for next update ;)

8. C. Banger

C. Banger Registered

Thank you for this awesome mod. Love it. Only criticism is the AI are bit hit and miss. Very quick thru S1 at Monza but slow thru 2nd Lesmo and exiting Ascari. They can also brake much later and harder than me. Got smashed from behind a few times during pit stops.

9. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

That's most likely track related, or a combination of track and car. Simple test: try a different car mod there and see if the same behaviour exists. Or try these cars at an official track (from ISI/S397) and see if they still do that. It will help carrera.4 with future updates.

10. Gleidson

Gleidson Registered

I tried to add the line BLOCK to AI, on the but, putting the folder F1-88 tracks on DEVMOD, there is no way to access them, the track runs out and the car into the air.

Does anyone know if it is to contain protected files?

11. Alvaro

Alvaro Registered

Sorry cant help on ur problem.
    Im just courious, what does the block path do in the aiw.?
    i already searched in the forum but dont have find a real explanation

12. Renato Romero

Renato Romero Registered

Great work!!
    BTW, I'm still using a G25!!

13. proff chaos

proff chaos Registered

Yes, a sincere thank you for this incredible mod! It's the most fun I've had since I joined the PC master race and racing simulators. It deserves to be official content as I actually enjoy this mod more than any content offered by any title I have (rF2, AMS, AC, RRE..) I hope you are able to find the time and resources to continue polishing this diamond.

In fact, I say we all give Marcel Offermans a shout and ask him to help and include it in a major rF2 update lol!..Thanks again, and thanks to rF2 for providing the platform.

EDIT:
    The way some of the cars "kick out" and the gear shifts come through my wheel are amazing...I love it.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2017
  14. Renato Romero

Renato Romero Registered

Just a little report of my first driving in this mod I've just done.
    Environment setup
    Jacarepaguá (Brazil), full grid, chose a McLaren to drive. 100% difficulty. 35% aggression. 75% damage. Only auto clutch enabled (due issues on my pedal)
    Practice - 45 minutes
    Completed 13 timed laps.. getting used with the gearbox specially when braking.
    Only minor changes in the setup (fuel and caster). My best lap 1:34.419.
    The AI drivers they seem to be balance with the real F1 1998 championship. Alan Prost did the best time: 1:34.143 and I did the 3rd best of the session.
    Qualify - 1 quick lap
    P1 for me ;) 1:32.762, P2 Alboreto 1:32.843 and P3 Prost 1:32.940.
    Race - 60 laps
    I didn't do any fuel calculation, so my option was to start the race with full tank (150L) to see what happens.
    First start I didn't realized the car was too heavy and couldn't make the first corner.
    Second start... was problematic too, anyway I didn't want to restart again.. since I was there for fun.
    I don't want to spoiler the video.. I can say that I had tons of fun :). Doing so many laps one after the other I was getting used with the gearing, the AI behavior (IMHO AI were fantastic, o_O maybe not too challenge for the ace guys.. although you can increase the difficulty) and really pleasure - despite the tire shaking effect on my wheel.:D

o_O One thing I didn't understand yet is how to complete the race without refuel.. at least this option is enabled for the pitstop.. otherwise I wouldn't be able to complete the race :rolleyes:

The full video is too big (8Gb) and too long (1h 37min) to upload... For now I've selected some quick scenes of onboard... like the video if you want to watch the full version.. I'll upload if it gets an interested audience.

Edited:
    One thing I forgot to say, in Brazil, the pole position is supposed to start from the right row, not in the left. Let me know if I can assist in this mod polishing. ;)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Mauro likes this.
  15. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

hexagramme likes this.
  16. guv

guv Registered

Really enjoyable drive, it's a proper workout with a h-pattern :cool:
    Thanks for all the obvious hard work you've put into it.

17. carrera.4

carrera.4 Registered

Yup ,u are right ,
    already fixed for next update;)
    ty for mensioning.

FORMULAEFAN71 likes this.
  18. C. Banger

C. Banger Registered

Yes, you could be correct about AI being track related. The issue with pit lane was my pit box was close to the pit entry and I was running with no assists - had to brake really early so as not to overshoot my pit box or spin. But because there's no pit lane limit as such - the AI cars were steaming in at full speed behind me.

19. Danneskjold184

Danneskjold184 Registered

Great mod! My clan is having so much fun with it. But there are a couple of issues:

1.) The engine sounds are outrageous. I have to lower it in the Windows Sound Mixer just to have eardrums the next day.

2.) There seems to be a problem with Imola. It caused a lot of people to have severe FPS drops.

3.) I'm having a problem with the LOD models. After 75 yards or so, cars are disappearing. Sometimes the entire car will disappear, sometimes just the body (leaving the wheels). This isn't happening in any other class, official or otherwise.

20. carrera.4

carrera.4 Registered

1.) yes engines are very loud :p but i think that is what a openwheeler with 700PS from the 80s should be :D.

2.) hmm , on Imola never had problems with FPS, but i wIll give a look and compare with other tracks.

3.) Pls try to set graphics for cars on Max, bcs mod dont have LOD-models only LOD-out distances, with max lodouts
    cars should dissapear at more then 300m.