Building a sequential shifter, have a question...

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Whirlynerd, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Whirlynerd

Whirlynerd Registered

Can anyone tell me what the trigger/squeeze handle on the front of a real world race sequential shifter is? Is it a ignition or throttle interrupt?

Thanks in advance!

2. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Registered

I think it is a release mechanism that allows the tranny to engage the reverse gear. When down-shifting from 2nd to 1st there is a stop that prevents accidentally shifting to reverse. Not completely sure, but this is my guess.

3. Whirlynerd

Whirlynerd Registered

Thanks Joe, that makes sense...

4. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

Modern sequential shifters such as Supercars use have a lever as stated above for engaging reverse to prevent accidental selection. They also feature a ignition cut to allow smooth up shifts under power but downshifting requires generally the use of a clutch

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

You can watch vid`s on YT, where real driver using throttle blip`s for (SQ) downshifting, but no clutch...

6. Feralarri

Feralarri Registered

True there are a few left foot breakers who don't use the clutch and blip throttle on downshifts

7. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Registered

That's a neat trick to link the shifter to the throttle linkage for the downshift blips!