Alternative reality races / Shadowplayers

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by whatdahello, Jan 9, 2017.

?

Does it sound interesting?

1. Yes!

2. No!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. whatdahello

whatdahello Registered

Guys, i was thinking about a new feature, that would allow outsiders like me to join into a race from outside, without appearing to them, and the inside participants could appear as ghost opponents to me.
    In this particular case it would allow anyone as an outsider to join the FormulaE Final race or any other closed server's race, and compete against them without causing trouble but having fun at the same time.

I think on the server side it would cost some bandwidth and CPU time, so there should be an admin controlled limit how many Shadowplayers could join. But other than that, I think it's an interesting idea, and there would be even demand for it.

Does it sound interesting to you?

Associat0r likes this.
  2. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

Yeah it sounds fun indeed. I read about PCars 2 and its offline/online thing where players around the world is driving as ghosts on your single player tracks. Sounds strange as its not SP anymore but... :D But the idea to shadow-drive against good drivers without them seeing you is a very cool idea.

3. jerrymcc

jerrymcc Registered

Something like this was actually implemented about 8 or 10 yrs ago ... I think it was called RealRace, or something like that. The premise was that you were driving your sim car in a real race, somehow synced through GPS or something like that. So other cars in the race were "real" and you were also in it. It was in a dev stage for a few months, then disappeared. I did a couple of races at Zandvoort, IIRC. It was like a lower tier sports car race.

Maybe someone else remembers it.

Associat0r likes this.
  4. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

iRacing has this too.