64 bit versions of Max

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by BrunoSardine, Jan 6, 2017.

1. BrunoSardine

BrunoSardine Registered

Hey All,

I'm in the process of acquiring 3Ds Max to use for track modding, and since I'm utilizing their educational license I'm limited (If you can say that) to the newer, 64 bit versions starting from 2014 and up. The little reading I've done seems to suggest that none of the ISI plugins work with the 64 bit versions of Max. I don't know if I can legally obtain a copy of Max 2012 or lower. Am I completely SOL?

2. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

If you buy a license for a modern Max version you can ask a backward license for a legacy version. Usually it's not a problem and until few years ago they were doing so.Not sure if they changed their policies. In your case, since it's a student limited license, you should use a modern version of Max and then use gJED as exporter, through the FBX interchange format.

That is a completely legal route. :)

Guimengo likes this.
  3. BrunoSardine

BrunoSardine Registered

Awesome, I wasn't sure if I had an alternative option in my case. Thanks for the help!

4. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

Modern 3DS Max versions have a "Game Exporter" plugin.
    The Game Exporter is a simplified FBX exporter for exporting to game engines such as UDK, Unity, etc...

It works greate to export to gJED.

Since the workflow is the same as with UDK and Unity, you can find tons of tutorials on youtube to create objects or scenes which are also valide for gJED.

Keep in mind that gJED is in alpha WIP stage so it's not full featured. But you can get a working track into rF2.
    Cars with gJED isn't the best workflow at the moment.

5. Drathuu

Drathuu Registered

Im using 2016 and 64bit, export to fbx, load to gjed and export (takes about 20 seconds once setup), to have a build for devmod (that said i will tweak material assignments at the end). I do have to edit my scene file slightly (10 more seconds adding some file paths, but thats a cut and paste).. but in reality i no longer use the tools.

That said, there are some advantages to the tools around setting up reflection mapping etc.. (i havent tried that in Gjed yet), as im in the process of building my current project from scratch this way. (Its a rebuild of my first ever track).