Best RACING simulator? rFactor, iRacing and Live for Speed?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by sWEat, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

RFactor 2 is the only sim in the history of sims, or any video game in general, that has relatively great kart dynamics...

Tier 1 Karts (on another level to anything else out there in terms of raw vehicle dynamics):
    - RFactor 2
    - Possibly KartSim

Note: Other than RF2's karts, KartSim has the only karts that truly resemble real-life karts, according to their preview video from about 3 years back. I think this says something astonishingly good about rFactor 2's physics engine considering KartSim has been developed for many years to be a hardcore specifically-karting sim, while rFactor 2's physics have not been designed from the ground-up to be purpose-made for karts.

Tier 2 Karts (good enough to have respect for, and play, actually this sounds like a bit of an understatement since these 2 games' karts are still good and definitely "sim"):
    - Game Stock Car
    The karts in Game Stock Car are fun as hell, and very, very, good for what the rF1 physics engine is capable, they actually do emit some actual kart dynamics rather than just a regular car with different numbers plugged in for it's weight and dimensions, but it still suffers from some oddness and "holes" of the rF1 general vehicle dynamics behavior. I'm not talking about "features" like flat spots or "RealRoad", I'm talking about vehicle handling/behavior.

- Kart Racing Pro
    Even Piboso's Kart Racing Pro, while very fun and controllable, doesn't behave enough like a kart but more just like a really light car. People tend to praise it though because it is nice and intuitively controllable to save slides, and has natural FFB, sadly, this is a sign of people having no clue about vehicle dynamics and basing their thoughts of vehicle dynamics from how natural it is to correct a rear-slide and generally control a car rather than actual car behavior. There are times when the amount of lock used to get around corners is very comedic in KRP, as if the kart is behaving like a regular car rather than the dartiness, pointiness, and hardly-any-lock-needed-to-steer-around-corners dynamics that the dynamics of a real-life kart and RF2's karts exhibit. It also doesn't have enough of the same sort of super stiff and skipping behavior that the rF2 karts have. Pibos's efforts and enthusiasm are phenomenal, don't get more wrong.

Note: KRP's karts does some things better than GSC's karts, but overall, the vehicle dynamics of Game Stock Car's karts are more realistic/better and closer to rF2's and reality.

Tier 3 Karts(shows potential, definitely not to be laughed at, but just still not on that uber complex and "hardcore" realistic level, there is still quite some level of simplicity to it's overall dynamics but it's at least a step in the right direction and probably "good enough" for many.):

Tier "Nothing" (these are so bad in terms of realistic kart dynamics that I can't even consider them "tier 4", they're simply just off the charts):
    - Project Cars
    - Gran Turismo

Note: These karts don't really even make my list (hence the category "Tier Nothing"). Seriously, I can't believe how much of a joke they are, it's literally like playing some sort of game made for cell phones and tablets or something, THEY'RE THAT BAD. The "regular car" behavior I described above for KRP is even much, much worse in the Project Cars and Gran Turismo karts. In these two games, it's like the karts literally have the same dynamics as a regular car but just with different values plugged in for the car weight and dimensions; basically they're a complete joke. I wouldn't even consider them "simcade" but literally terrible (not exaggerating).

Some Other Thoughts:
    IRacing - I generally like IRacing's physics; I personally think that if they made a kart that they could at least achieve "Tier 2", maybe even Tier 1.

Assetto Corsa - I think that it would be "easy as pie" for Assetto Corsa to achieve tier 3, probably even tier 2, however, I just don't see it's physics being complex and dynamic enough for tier 1 at the moment, there is sadly still a bit of staleness/simplicity to the overall vehicle dynamics modelling of AC which the super stiff, reactive, and just generally highly dynamic handling behavior of a kart would exhibit/show-off even more. Tier 2 is still very, very good though (GSC & KRP level).

Project Cars - I believe PC's physics are at least good enough to make a tier 3 kart, maybe even tier 2, but tier 3 should definitely be doable judging by the overall vehicle dynamics of their non-karting cars. Their current kart is not even close to what the physics are capable of.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2015
  2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

King Spinelli to save the day. KRP could go into tier 1 as it is used as a professional karting tool by many, I know someone who is a racer and also an instructor and guess the software they use? Yup, KRP. Yes, it isn't perfect but nothing is. Also pCARS karts.... hahahaha. That thing hasn't been touched in what, two and half years? If you have access to pC then you already knew that. If you didn't, you couldn't comment on that much like none of us can on KartSim (I shouldn't have turned down that testing thing 6 years ago).

3. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I'm not sure I understand the tone of your post, but it's just all my opinion. My opinion is that KRP is overrated slightly (still very good though). I haven't tried the brand new update yet (update 12?) but up till then. the karts had way too much of regular car dynamics and not enough actual kart dynamics, especially the way you would turn the wheel and use the steering lock to turn the kart, like you would with a car,

4. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

We should make a big spreadsheet with all the individual features each offers. :p lol

example rF2

Install only official content you wish
    Swap cars and skins in room
    Download cars and tracks
    No manual copy paste delete

yadda yadda

5. jjcook

jjcook Registered

NO!....they want some money, and then a little more money, and then some more money, then if you want something more....you guessed it ...more money.....but dont get used to it because then....you need more money ////not that people should not pay for product....but im more of a pay for it/use it, kind of guy and...

I am not sure why anyone would say rf2 is finished and just in polishing phase- nobody from isi has ever said that- they need to look over the dev page-it looks like 3 years of constant build updates and new content to me- if you read the changelogs for each build , i dont think its finished- it may take a lifetime ;) - lifetime membership might be worth it - the company has been around since my early sim racing days in the 90's - solid investment rf2 - just do it!

here : http://rfactor.net/web/rf2/devscorner/

6. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

7. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Rfactor 2, period.

8. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

Its not rite to compare something u paid with somthing dat cost much less

9. SL1DE

SL1DE Registered

I tried iRacing... Didn't like it. It's overrated trash IMO. Not to mention they're greedy mofos. $100 per year, plus $15 per car and track?
    [​IMG]

Nothing beats rFactor 2. The most underrated and most realistic simulator around with a fantastic modding community who release everything for free for everybody to enjoy.

Live for Speed I used to play a lot back in 2006-2008 for drifting. It's the most realistic and user friendly game to drift, even if it does feel like you're driving on ice sometimes. But I'm not into drifting anymore, I grew up.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  10. Flaux

Flaux Registered

Care to elaborate? I'm on the edge of going into iRacing but the money keeps me away from it since the beginning. So, from your point of view, is the racing in iRacing bad? Or is it the physics? Or what?

11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

afaik iRacing offers loads of good racing, not so much of good simulation

12. mlaw

mlaw Registered

I like the laser scanned tracks in iRacing.

mesfigas and dadaboomda like this.
  13. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

I have to play "4years" has iracingI this year i have not buy again of abo it is a financial abyss, I prefer the ffb / physical rf2 iracing it is very good for the organized online race and laser-scan tracks