Roadmap December Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MarcG, Dec 17, 2016.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

...and who cares?
    URD sold their model to Kunos too and AC users enjoy it, why not an rF2 version with new physics?

Btw, tracks specific for cars ingame...but which cars we will see?
    Which old ISI license will survive?
    We will see fictional cars again (i hope no)?

2. stonec

stonec Registered

Well I think that statement is simplifying the physics development a bit, I assume development will go through this entire process.

3. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

Not surprising that the lifetime users who hang out here, me included, have no issue with the online support changes. Although it was not confirmed what the price for the new all-inclusive package will be.

If they are using the URD model for the C7, or recreating it almost exactly, I don't really care. What will be amazing is to be able to install and drive both the URD and the S397 versions back to back. And to compare to the Reiza AMS version, too.

I like what I am hearing, but I would be even happier if S397 announced a Reiza-style parallel beta release system. We have so many knowledgeable people on here who have stuck it out over the years and many who have contributed high quality mods. The public product will be much better off with some serious beta input to all manner of the innovations (UI, physics, graphics, online, VR, etc.). Each thread has passionate people willing to contribute free testing time just in exchange for making the end product better overall, for all. This is the dream of any manufacturer or developer. I would like to live up to my name in the rF2 credits by once again promoting this use of our little, but smart and passionate community. It's how to grow the product most efficiently and I hope S397 will be in favour :)

GDUBMX likes this.
  4. danalm

danalm Registered

The URD car is the 2015 version, while the S397 car implements the 2016 version with vastly improved aero. The laptimes of the new car are much, much faster.

jayarrbee36 and adamfarmer like this.
  5. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I agree to some extent about a closed beta group of experienced players but as we saw when ISI did it they got more issues than it's worth, in the old Unstable Forum there were more people asking the most basic questions than people actually helping to Beta Test. I find the same with AMS at times (although not as bad), granted that has a smaller user base (it seems to me anyway) in their Beta Forum so maybe that's why it's working a bit better, but there's still too many people in there that have no idea of how a Beta should work.
    Of course we don't know what Studio397 has for a testing team, it may well be more than enough, it may well be their policy to keep everything in house which we'd have to respect. But should they want to add a few more experienced users to their Beta Team then I think they should be hand picked, allowing everyone in would be more hassle than it's worth.

McFlex likes this.
  6. Commandoss

Commandoss Registered

If it will be only Steam version, thew how to create dedicated server? I will need to pay another copy of the game to run it on the server, and connect to the server in my own copy of game?

7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

While I think that removing online subscriptions is a good move I have to say that:
    6 months ago in the transfer to Steam process people were being encouraged to move to lifetime instead of renewing their online yearly subscription. This was done by offering a just slightly higher price for lifetime compared to renewing.

I have to think that this was done knowing about the future of rF2 being transferred from ISI to S397. I dont know if this was done with the knowledge of S397 or if ISI was trying to squeeze the last revenues before selling the product. I don't know either, if the decision of future removal of online subscriptions was already taken.

In any case it is a fact that the treat to the customer that bought the game longtime ago and went for yearly suscriptions hasn't been the most fair. I have one mate that recently moved the lifetime suscription I have talked about before and has already accumulated over 70 € expense in rF2. After having already spent 60 euros he has been tempted and convinced this year to renew its license to lifetime probably knowing that what he was paying for would be free in some months.

IMO this is not the right way to treat people that have been supporting rF2 for over 3 years.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Guimengo and Ho3n3r like this.
  8. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I agree with both of you guys, a Reiza style beta will be perfect for rF2. To be honest I think a beta could be a great way to improve the sim (again, see Reiza work, community found a lot of bugs and sometimes found the fix or developed new features too) and can be an opportunity to gather back the modders too. The beta branch could be granted only to lifetime subscribers (which are a great number here on the forum) and this will be a great way to say thank you to them, because a lot of them are long time users and supporters. About people asking the basic stuff over and over on the old ISI forum...well I think it was a consequence to lack of communication between devs and community...a problem I see already solved by Studio-397...

Marc Collins likes this.
  9. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Price of RF2 in 2012 for Lifetime = $56.99
    Price of the FIFA Series since 2012 = $200+

'nuff said :)

Araripe and bwana like this.
  10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

That doesn't have anything to do with encouraging customers to purchase something that will not be worth it in the future as it has been done.

Ho3n3r likes this.
  11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I agree in part with the communication, but with a bigger fanbase comes a bigger amount of pointless posts that could be answered elsewhere. The Beta forum may become cluttered with those most basic questions that in the end will be wasting the Devs time to respond too, that's where you need to limit the amount of Beta testers so the Devs can concentrate solely on what's needed to be answered. I do see it from time to time in the Reiza forum, Renato has had to repeat himself which is simply a waste of time. Of course S397 need to do their own thing, no need to copy Reiza exactly to the letter and as I said above we don't know the whole plan so who knows what might happen.

I think it would be good, but caution is required :)

12. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Yes, with spécial price for Steam, I have paid 55 €.
    What time,less or more, for the release ?
    Thanks.
    (irl, I speak french !)

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No. If you go back to the news section and scroll down you'll find 2 Steam threads which answer all your questions.

ISI had a separate team of beta testers, the unstable was on top of that again.

Or, it wasn't done while knowing what would happen. Anyway, your mate wanted online for lifetime, paid for online for lifetime, and has online for lifetime. People buy stuff all the time that is later heavily discounted, you literally get what you pay for and if you're happy to pay it all you can do is be happy. No use crying over spilt milk.

14. Commandoss

Commandoss Registered

Thanks. I think that I have found answer on my question.

15. DaVeX

DaVeX Registered

I think they need to change the Steam store page before patch or we will see doom on earth...
    [​IMG]
    I can already hear them "I bought the sim lifetime license on 19 December and now multy is free for all..." :confused:

Araripe and bravotangosix like this.
  16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

BREAKING NEWS: CNN says people in Assetto have been paying for URD cars in official DLC packs!

Oh yeah @Marcel Offermans please a beta program like AMS would be great, maybe would help more modders to see what can be done too

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Araripe likes this.
  17. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah I know, I was referring to the extra hassle of that Unstable forum :)

18. bravotangosix

bravotangosix Registered

I'm a lifetime subscriber. I also think that the move to free online is the smartest move for the benefit of rF2. For me this is the crux of the argument. S397 are trying to do whats best for rF2 by creating the sim we were all promised all those years ago and then some. IMO we can either look back and pick apart errors or misjudgments that were made by ISI or we can look to a S397 future that is getting brighter by the day.

[/QUOTE]I have to think that this was done knowing about the future of rF2 being transferred from ISI to S397. I dont know if this was done with the knowledge of S397 or if ISI was trying to squeeze the last revenues before selling the product. I don't know either, if the decision of future removal of online subscriptions was already taken.[/QUOTE]

Do you really think that ISI and S397 sat down and thought "whats the best way to squeeze every last penny out of these chumps before we give them almost everything they've ever wished for from rF2". Sorry, but for me that logic doesn't hold any ground.

[/QUOTE]In any case it is a fact that the treat to the customer that bought the game longtime ago and went for yearly suscriptions hasn't been the most fair. I have one mate that recently moved the lifetime suscription I have talked about before and has already accumulated over 70 € expense in rF2. After having already spent 60 euros he has been tempted and convinced this year to renew its license to lifetime probably knowing that what he was paying for would be free in some months.[/QUOTE]

As I've said I'm a lifetime subscriber (almost £60). I won't be losing anything by the change to free online. I'll still be getting my lifetime online regardless. If anyone has paid for a years subscription and used the software for a year then they got what they paid for. Nothing more nothing less. When you have a situation were something is going through the huge changes that rF2 is about to go through there will always be sacrifices for the greater good. The greater good being all the benefits that we ALL will be getting from the hugely revamped rF2. I do agree that the current pricing on steam needs amended ASAP especially given the recent news about the new pricing structure

[/QUOTE]IMO this is not the right way to treat people that have been supporting rF2 for over 3 years.[/QUOTE]

The folks that supported rF2 for the last 3+ years are going to be getting an almost totally revamped rF2 with a new graphics engine, VR support, more car and track licenses, free online, regular bug fixing, future proof piece of software. If that's treating people incorrectly then I doubt S397 could've done anything to appease those same people.

For me, if this 'new' rF2 is to have a chance at success then the communities focus needs to be on what we all are going to gain rather that what the few feel they are going to lose (without actually losing anything).

I'm not having a go at you personally Euskotracks but I just feel in this time of rebirth for rF2, negativity isn't going to help anyone especially when you consider the gains to be made.

Love your work BTW

19. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

Since years rF2 is my favorite racing sim. I also own most of the other titles and enjoy them from time to time but earlier or later I fall back to rF2. The biggest problem for me with rF2 since day one is to set up the gfx parameters in a way that my system deliver a smooth experience. Sometimes it takes me hours to get the right and best possible settings after I changed the track and/or cars. I have really high hopes that the gfx engine performance with dx11 will be much more consistent with todays powerfull hardware in terms of used settings and fps output. I'm also excited and happy about all other anounced parts.
    I have the feeling Marcel Offermans and his team have a good plan and understand what we need and want. Good times for rF2

emha76 and Araripe like this.
  20. Araripe

Araripe Registered

rF2's golden age is coming :D