[WIP] Le Grand Circuit 1967 (in association with VLM)

Discussion in 'Locations' started by woochoo, Nov 13, 2016.

1. rhamm

rhamm Registered

It seems woochoo likes creating the long tracks with ford in the name or winning the races.

woochoo likes this.
  2. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Registered

Fantastic news!!! Le Mans as it was meant to be!! One of my favs from GPL. Looking forward to this very much. Thanks Woochoo :D

3. Mauro

Mauro Registered

personally i don't like layout (too boring), but i'm happy to see it on rf2

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  4. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

I am! Drooling! ;)

Alex72 likes this.
  5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Yeah, it might not be to everyone's tastes (which is fine), but here are some ways I've engaged with it, and I hope to encourage some more of you all to get into the spirit of the layout.

- Firstly, forget any ideas of a modern sprint race circuit and big aerodynamics. That's not what this is about, and they did not exist :)
    - Number 2, my version has more scenery than the GPL version, and will have some cows (eventually) :D
    - It has the history/stories which are a big part of motosport history and they appeal to me (mostly).
    - It's quite narrow, so the corners and even the straights do require a bit of extra attention.
    - The faster cars that are meant for the circuit get to around 330kph, but it takes a long distance to reach that speed, which most other circuits can't accommodate.
    - It doesn't have the 'additional' chicanes, so there is less interruption to the speed.
    - It's the last of the layouts that allowed the cars to go past the pits at full speed and into turn 1 with delicate braking/turning (nowhere is it more clear why a chicane was installed on a circuit).
    - The high speed corners really are high speed corners, including crests and dips, with lower grip tyres and limited aerodynamics (if any at all).
    - It has Maison Blanche, and the corner that goes over the hill before Maison Blanche (but I don't know it's name).
    - It's meant for endurance/24h racing, and the long straight, and almost straight roads balance well with the corners over a long period of driving for an ebb/flow experience, rather than a more persistently busy layout (I'm much more likely to make mistakes in three hours of driving the modern layout than the '56-'67 layout for example).
    - The endurance races also have faster/slower cars that need to be allowed past, or passed, and the straight sections help with that.

And, for the Americans out there, '67 was the first fully American car/engine/tyres/team/drivers to win Le Mans (open to debate).
    Anyone else is welcome to share their thoughts about why they find this layout engaging. I'd like to hear it :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett Registered

As mentioned, Le Mans as it was meant to be, before chicanes were added for driver and spectator safety, which of course is not an issue in sim racing.

It's a shame that so many historically important circuits have been altered or worse, lost due to redevelopment or whatever.

I find it so awesome to be able to drive classic Spa, Monaco, Monza, etc for this reason...adding Le Mans to that list will be amazing.

7. Nitrometh

Nitrometh Registered

Woochoo if you need some pictures of cows for your high detailed work just let me know. Until the end of the year my girlfriends father will sell all of them because he gets too less money for milk. If you need some pictures I want to see every hair on the correct place and moving in the wind.;)
    High quality cows on a high quality track ;)

Ernie, guod, woochoo and 1 other person like this.
  8. Eddy

Eddy Registered

@Nitrometh i liked your post because of the last sentence, the part of your girlfriend father not so much.
    It really is a shame he has to sell because of bad/low prices of milk, it's just not fair........

9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

Thanks Nitrometh,
    I'm no cow expert, but the reference I have for cows at Le Mans shows them maybe 50-100m away from the driver's left of the road, before Maison Blanche. About half-way through the Le Mans movie I see, in the low-light scene:
    - One cow with an overall light brown coat, except for some white on its head and shins.
    - One typical black/white cow (it's mostly black, in this case).
    - One more which is either another typical black/white cow with a mostly white head/legs, or possibly darker brown/white with white head/legs.
    I assume there is some number more of them off-camera, just standing around, having a chew, a bit of a look around, a bit of a poo.

Since these lovely cows are so far away from the road, and since I'm keen to avoid spending years on details (this track needs spare resources for big car fields, not big cow fields), I'll probably just go with 2D billboard cows, rather than animated 3D cows. I'm not sure there is any way to extract the animated cows from ISI/397 Belgium with the animations intact (I haven't checked). I will include some of the ambient cow noises though, of course :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    Euskotracks likes this.
  10. Traveller

Traveller Member

Ahhhh. Le Mans '67. I've crashed there many times.

Ho3n3r, Guimengo and woochoo like this.
  11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

If you look in Gotham Hills you will find the animals you have referred. Hence it is possible to do what you say.

13. woochoo

woochoo Registered

thank you, i might try to figure out working with the ISI cows then

guod likes this.
  14. guod

guod Registered

Sarthe cows in the fields! What? Le Mans isn't equal to rF2 classic Spa? Hell it even has horses!

BTW... this is a running joke between woochoo and myself.

woochoo likes this.
  15. Tucker Fleming

Tucker Fleming Registered

Thanks woochoo, this'll be great. Fun teaser too.

16. Mauro

Mauro Registered

No map yet
    [​IMG]

woochoo likes this.
  17. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Over 400 km/h with 917 long tail !!!! Yeah !

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  18. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

woochoo, don't forget the 1967 skin pack you made for the Howston too.
    Now we just need the historic cars to be revamped, and more to be added!

*cough* Chaparral 2D & 2F *cough cough* Ford GT40 *cough cough* Ferrari 330 P3 *cough*

yusupov and woochoo like this.
  19. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I believe BorekS said would allow someone to convert his models to rF2. Would just have to get in contact with him to get them. Mapping the Chaparral 2F wing to the DRS would be an amazing touch!

http://f1classic.your-talk.com/t15287-possible-mod-ford-gt40-mk-iv-vs-ferrari-330-p4

P&G mod for GTR2 has the best Ford GT40 MKII available IMO. Again permissions and converting would be the issues.

I'm pretty sure that would satisfy everyone with that list :)

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

rF2's greatest potential lies in historic content. With Le Mans 1967 we'll have 5 tracks that fit 1966-1967, though one is non-championship (Longford). Then add Sergio Loro's 1967 Hockenheim and Zandvoort, and it's suddenly growing into a mighty line-up. We'll just need quality cars, and we have none of those so far. Sebring or Daytona '67 might just be a cough away!

yusupov likes this.