rFactor 2 gets a boost as ISI announce a partnership with Luminis

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

20 gig? I've had a couple of 30 meg updates. And I don't have unlimited data.

And your questions are answered in threads created specifically to answer those questions.

2. mrmat01

mrmat01 Registered

I'm not just referring to Rfactor2 on steam I haven't converted over so I don't know.
    I have other tittle that I cant play off line Like COH 2 , COD pick one ect
    Because they need a 20+gig update each
    Could you please direct me to threads that answer my questions please or could you just symply answer them
    I have searched and searched to no avail hence why I'm asking the questions here This is my 1st time back after being away for a couple of months & to my surprise & quite frankly my total dismay as to what is going on ????

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

But the steam situation hasn't changed since a couple of months ago. All that's happened is Studio 397 has taken over rF2. They didn't change the Steam situation, even if Marcel seemingly directed the Steam integration back when that first happened.

This thread was started in May and is full of people complaining about having to go to Steam, and some people have voted with their feet and actually moved away from rF2 because of it. Their choice, no harm.

As far as updates, I haven't had any rF2 specific forced updates. Ok, I think maybe a track wanted to, but I could have unsubscribed to stop that. The 30 meg updates I was referring to were actual Steam updates.

I haven't had Steam before rF2, so I can't comment on other games. But by the same token what they do doesn't matter in the context of rF2 going to steam.

4. Depco

Depco Registered

I believe you need to a full install of rF2 through steam as they use a slightly different file methodology for steam workshop content. That said a lot of mods are not on steam and they are installed exactly as the old way before steam.

I dont believe you need a connection to steam to play Offline/Singelplayer mode. However, when you move to steam and re-install they will auto subscribe you to the base content and you will DL all of that. You then have to unsubscribe from all the base content for it to be removed from your computer. There is no way I am aware of to unsubscribe from the content pre-emptively. Another problem you will have if you dont move to the steam version of rF2 (it is a free move, you dont have to pay for rF2 again) is that you will not get any further updates as they will only be distributed through steam. I am sure some enterprising people will be able to make standalone updates or distribute the full updated client. but frankl that seems like a lot of work simply to avoid usign a gaming service as popular as steam.

For me the move to steam wasnt a real issue as I have unlimited data and a fast internet connection. I could see this being an issue if you didnt have either of those.

BTW I also host servers for my league through SteamCMD. It took some fiddling to get working properly (Go figure) but it is running perfectly for the most part now.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just to clarify, when you unsubscribe from that base content you only remove the Installed data for them; you still have them in the cache, and that's all you download. The situation with recently released 'stock' content is more complex, because it acts like any other workshop content and 'subscribe' means 'download'.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

Thank you for the clarification Lazza

7. mrmat01

mrmat01 Registered

Thank you guys for explaining it for me I just have one more question.
    If I make the move to steam will I be able to still use lets call it the old (Pre Studio 397) Rfactor2 as I do now as well as the steam version?
    Thanks again for your help

8. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes you can, but for singel-player and Devmode only.

9. mrmat01

mrmat01 Registered

No worries thank you so much :)