Honda Civic and Renault Clio rollover

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Javi288, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Both cars continue to rollover very easily. I hope Studio397 fixes this bug.

2. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't think it's a bug because both of those cars have received multiple updates. The first release of Civic rolled over much more easily than it does in the current version.

3. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Yesterday I was running with the Civic in Sepang, I was surprised that after so long the car still had that problem. Take the test (Civic + Sepang or Clio + Lime Rock Park).

Regards.

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

AI or yourself? If it's AI then the AIW will need tweaking perhaps.

5. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

My car.

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Discussed from the beginning and first appearance of Civic BTCC-car!
    This is a realistic behaviour. Deal with it!

Euskotracks likes this.
  7. Comante

Comante Registered

You can't eat curbs so aggressively in a car so rigid.

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Yeah this Rollover topic has been done to death before and it always ends up going round & round in circles where people just don't agree with each other.
    There's quite a few different angles to look at it from, none of these directed at anyone in particular just thoughts on the process:
    a) Is it a fault of the Cars Physics?
    b) We tend to take many more risks when gaming than we would when driving a real car around a race track, so ask yourself; Would you attack that curb in Real Life the same way you do in a Sim?
    c) Are you simply taking the corner completely wrong in the first place so therefore need to adjust your Entry & Apex points?
    d) Do you have the right setup to be bouncing over curbs?
    e) Are you a good enough driver in the first place? Maybe you need the practice.
    f) Is it the Tracks Fault at having the Curbs wrong (height/collision/direction etc) in the first place?

I've been enjoying the Civic at Adelaide this year and those curbs are monsters, never once did I roll it. But should that happen at another track then the way I personally deal with it is this: If I keep Rolling the car at a specific point on a track then I alter my driving line and/or setup until I can take that corner safely.

GDUBMX and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The problem is pretty easy to explain. The cars have a tendency to roll with the wrong inputs in real life aswell and there are some pretty impressive pics with those cars on two wheels. The difference is that the real driver notices the car lifting right through his pants and has the possibility aswell as the skill to react immediately when we just react based on our visuals and the FFB, so we will allways react too late and maybe wrong. I think this picture speaks for itself:

http://www.pixoto.com/images-photog.../motorsports/btcc-action-5860136795504640.jpg

Btw, I've been on two wheels in a Seat Marbella at something like 15 km/h, so you can be sure that it is possible in a Honda Civic BTCC :D

GDUBMX, peterchen and MarcG like this.
  10. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

Thank you very much for your answers, I appreciate your opinions.

I will continue to do tests with the Civic on different tracks, because i feel there is something wrong with this car.

I've been playing racing simulators for many years, I've even rollover a car on a track in real life. I think I know something about this ...

Regards.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language and I can't express myself the way I would like it.

GDUBMX and MarcG like this.
  11. MikeeCZ

MikeeCZ Registered

Ye, rF2s physics are just poop

And here clios

Stay off high kerbs.. some of them are actually designed to kick you up so you are forced to avoid them

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Marc Collins, peterchen and GDUBMX like this.
  12. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

The rollover might be excessive simply because of too high grip values. If the car CG is correctly located the physics governing this behaviour are quite simple. A too stiff suspension setting could also transfer too much kinetic energy to rolling momentum. The availability of some real telemetry from these cars could help comparing to the rF2 ones.

Apparently for the Civic this was done with some BTCC teams and if I don't rememeber wrong it was one of the first cats implementing flex chassis. I would try lowering that internal torsional stiffness and associated damping if you want to try.

It should be noted that this is typically a no return situation unless driver corrects with the wheel. The rollover momentum increases as the CG goes up and the capability of the car to overcome it, is maximum when the inner wheel lifts from the ground.

13. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

From what i can see, i would guess the CG (HDV) is a bit to high, on both cars.

14. Rocket123

Rocket123 Registered

The real cars are tippy basturds ... The race cars look like a modified Honda Fit to me and my friends Fit is super unstable at 100mph ...of course , that is the street car version .

;)

15. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

I've been testing the new NOLA track (Layout Indy). Several races against the AI (USF2000, Nissan 370 GT4 and Renault Clio).

In turn 1 the Nissan and the Renault did rollover many times, I am referring to the AI. In the case of the Clio, several cars at the same time did rollover.

I read the presentation of NOLA that Studio397 has done:

"That's especially true for Indy's unforgiving temporary curbs in turn 1 and turn 6. They demand respect. Go in too deep on entry and catch a tire, best-case scenario you lose some precious tenths, worst-case you flip up on two wheels Or lose control and smash into your opponent! "

But it does not seem normal to me the ease of the AI to dump suddenly, it's as if the cars were catapulted, unnaturally.

I do not know if there is a bug on the track, in cars or in AI, but something is not working properly here.

The test is very simple: A race against AI (about 15 cars). Start the race and pass the turn 1, restart the race and pass that turn again. Of 10 times, in 8 of them some car of the AI will rollover.

Regards.

Juergen-BY likes this.
  16. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

I would report this issue in the Nola thread, too...

17. peterchen

peterchen Registered

So you´re saying that this only happens if you restart the race?

18. Javi288

Javi288 Registered

It's not necessary. I was restarting the race to reproduce same situation on turn 1. It was a fast mode to do it.

I'll do more tests with other cars before posting on the NOLA thread (to provide as much information as possible).

Juergen-BY likes this.
  19. peterchen

peterchen Registered

What AI aggression level? Is it better with lower agression?

20. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Its on other cars, too. Seems an issue with the aiw path...

GRAB_002.JPG GRAB_003.JPG