Championship mode 2017

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GDUBMX, Dec 5, 2016.

1. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

With the addition of a new development team on board, how are we looking in terms of finally getting an offline championship mode similar to that of Automobilista's?

I know you can create event mods but in essence all that really does is only give you the cars and tracks you want, not the points system and automatic progression to the next round.

Honestly, I feel this would benefit the game in terms of fun and immersion, some people prefer to play single player and or don't have the time to commit to long races/leagues etc, plus it would give the user something else to do besides single races. I know some of the hardcore would object as it arguably detracts from the "experience".

Realistically though, what would the level of work involved be or would it actually be pretty straight forward?

Hopefully this doesn't become another lost/unread thread. Cheers

2. Ho3n3r

Ho3n3r Registered

+1. Not because I'd use it much, but because I can see it being used a lot - it's a glaring omission from the current game.

It also needs some enhancements from the way it used to be before - i.e. changing difficulty from track to track during a championship, not like rF1 where you were stuck with 1 difficulty all the way through, making racing at tracks where the AI are unbalanced a pain.

3. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

That's cool to hear, especially from somebody that wouldn't be too phased about using it.
    I know just from seeing threads about this game over the years that the lack of offline career/championship mode is a real bummer. Irrespective of that though any true racing fan would surely pick up this title, just having said option would be much more enjoyable for those who seek that.

4. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Given how good the AI is in rF2 I allways wondered why this hasn't been considered for the sim right from the start. I still enjoy rf1, GTR2 and GTL for that reason. With all the different vehicles in rF2 there would be plenty of options to implement career ladders or to give atleast the option for people to create their own championships. With the new UI it would be nice to maybe get a modular system where people can select their series including opponent filters, point systems, and how series are linked with each other. Official content could serve as blueprints or templates in that regard.

All this is a general problem for me in the gaming industry: why do devs exclude features from their games that they had in previous titles from ten years ago knowing that those features were pretty popular? When I look at GTL and rF1 and how they had nicely implemented a career grinding that actually made sense with earning money and buying new upgrades or cars or GTR2 with it's phenomenal driving school and complete seasons there is definitely some room for improvement in that area.

ECAR_Tracks, GDUBMX and peterchen like this.
  5. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

So forgive me for my lack of knowledge but is the new ui something on the horizon?

6. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Yes it is! One of the first things they want to improve.

GDUBMX likes this.
  7. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

That's awesome, again pardon me for my inept knowledge of this sim but.. Haha

When do they plan this update? Also is there a decent development blog with daily updates on? Or from what you guys know, what is currently on their to do list? Thanks guys

8. Comante

Comante Registered

GDUBMX likes this.
  9. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

Thanks mate

10. Cruz

Cruz Registered

+1

Better IA, no doubt, they seem almost human.

I play 100% offline, that championship mode would be so....marvelous. If were possible, something like f1 2016 career mode wolud be .... just gorgeus.

ECAR_Tracks and GDUBMX like this.
  11. Emery

Emery Registered

Cruz, GDUBMX and Associat0r like this.
  12. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

All nice and dandy, but what I am talking about is a championship tool or career mode integrated into the games UI right from the start without the need to download 3rd person tools. I don't have to download external tools to play the career mode in GTR2, GTL or rF1. It's all there for the user, especialy for new players. I also know the weather tool, that stuff belongs into the UI aswell. Project Cars has this option so why is it not possible to get this in rF2?

GDUBMX likes this.
  13. MarcG

MarcG Registered

It is possible, you just need a little patience and wait for Studio397 to hopefully implement these features into the game next year or beyond.

GDUBMX and Associat0r like this.
  14. GDUBMX

GDUBMX Registered

Associat0r likes this.
  15. Cruz

Cruz Registered

Thanks a lot mate, seem thats need a little time to use it.

Maybe this is silly, but when i have to go to 3rd person tool it brake inmersion. Its like take pencil and paper and make a list of circuits, make my chanpionship, and annotate my results (although this tool have very interesting information). In any case i'll give it a chance.

16. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

A built-in championship is nice to have and something I'd like too, but I don't understand it when people dismiss a sim for the lack of it, or even call it immersion breaking, unless the majority of your sim-time is spent staring at the championship standings screen. If so, then you're in the wrong genre.

Consider this. An average real race event (generally weekend) spans at least multiple hours, up to multiple days. So why is exiting, or alt-tabbing the sim after many hours or days to see your championship standings a problem? Unless your idea of a championship is 3 laps per race without car setup, nor qualifying and hopping onto the next track every 5 minutes. At least rF2 allows saving mid race weekend and even mid-session (practice/qualy/etc/race).
    Some other popular product boasting a career mode, doesn't even allow saving progress between sessions, so you will have to run the whole race weekend in one sitting. Talk about immersion breaking and having their priorities backwards.
    A bigger immersion breaker would be to alt-tab to analyze your laps in Motec, which actually needs to occurs during a session, but I see nobody complaining about that.

Most of the championships in other sims/games is just simple stats collection, which is highly automated with rFactor 2 Log Analyzer's Championship Manager, and more detailed and flexible than any built-in championship tool. And it works in both single-player and multiplayer. It should be quite easy to integrate this with the upcoming HTML UI.

An interactive career mode is another matter entirely, which is inherently immersion breaking in a serious sim, unless it spans multiple years over many series with all the needless circus surrounding it, and is totally out of the scope of a serious sim like rF2.
    Also, if a race sim needs a career mode to be interesting, then it has already failed as a race sim.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  17. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I wouldn't call a nice career mode that is interactive, "inherently immersion breaking" in a serious sim. I consider myself serious enough, but there are areas in a game or sim where it is just nice to have the option as an end user. I don't have a clutch peddal, so I like to be able to use the clutch assist - am I not serious enough now? Going by that logic we could get rid of time acceleration and stuff like that just because it is not realistic. I started playing racing games with games like Race Driver Grid, a game that had one hell of a career mode. Some people find this more immersive than no career mode at all. At the end of the day nobody is forcing you to play that career mode if it isn't interesting for you.

18. Cruz

Cruz Registered

You are right in some way, but:

Are you saying that you dont loose immersion, in cinema, when at the middle of the movie you go home and sleep between scene and scene, because these scenes is taking time in two different days?

The comparation is a "little" exagerated, but is how i see your reasoning. I prefer to stay in the cinema all the time, dont go out until the movie end, only if my urinary track is exploding i will go out. ;)

Sorry for my english.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  19. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Here's the thing about an integrated Championship Mode for me:

A) For starters I enjoy watching a lot of real life motor sport and off the top of my head every single series I enjoy is based entirely around a Championship, that's not even including the vast number of series I don't watch that also are based around a points to win prizes system of some sort. So that leads to B)

B) This is a Car Racing Simulator above all, not a Driving Simulator but a Racing one, so with A) above it kind of goes hand in hand that it should of had a Championship mode in from the very start, but for reasons only ISI will ever know they didn't include even a basic one (like in rf1), but that's the past so no point banging on about it!

C) The thing about a Championship is that it adds longevity, whilst it's great to have single Race Weekends, if I was involved with an AI Championship I'd more than likely be playing more as I'd have something to fight for in the long run. Not just a single one off event, but something I can sink my teeth stuck into and really feel a part of, something to race for at the end of a gruelling 25 Race Season not just a hopeful Podium in a single weekend.

E) Don't get me wrong I applaud the community for making Custom Championship tools for us and I've used them in the past, but personally I believe this is something that should be part of the whole package of the game.

F) Reiza recently had a Poll about which features users wanted most and this came 4th by 1 vote out of 10 options (AI won Woohoo!) so it goes to show we're not the only ones requesting such a feature.

G) I like lists :)

I've been a part of these forums since 2010 and in that time I have seen this subject pop up over and over and over again, I for one hope Studio397 eventually incorporate it into RF2 when they're ready too, until then I'll simply wait and enjoy what other offerings they will bring in the meantime (*VR!*) :)

20. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This game is not a multiplayer only affair, where the racing comes with other people in weekly championships (and thus their form of tracking is fine). You are completely right and there is a lot of support on the same point and expectations for something to be integrated in the future with S397 heading things. It's well known.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016