Monitor advice or VR?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by Paul_Ceglia, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Hello everyone its been some time since Ive been around these parts. I had to put sim racing to the side for what has seemed like an eternity but the seas are parting and I will be getting back in. So some of you may know of the massive rig I built...well now is soon the time I will be starting a new build but this time I have to down size the triple monitor setup do to some lack of space and go with a single 21:9 screen. I would love a curved monitor as I will be sitting close into the screen and have some design ideas that would incorporate the curve into my rig, what are some good choices these days for 1000 or less? Also is VR the bees knees yet or is it still growing and worth the purchase? Thanks and hope all is well in the community! Still no rally huh... ;)

My system is or was a beast no problem with a resolution 5040x1050
    EVGA 980FTW
    i7 @ 4ghz
    8 gigs ram

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

3. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I really like my BenQ XR3501. :) 35" curved display with 144Hz refresh rate. Yes it has no G-sync, but i don't really miss it.

ISRTV has made a review of it some months ago -> click

4. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

@ Marc..Good read! thank you ;)

@ Ernie, can you run @ 144fps or can you chose a different refresh rate, say 120 or 100? I used to get my sims to 120fps to match the refresh rate of my current setup and that worked although I would get some screen tearing from time to time. Its not a must have but I think G-sync would be cool

MarcG likes this.
  5. bowen

bowen Registered

Dell monitors are supposed to use good panels

6. bowen

bowen Registered

7. Ernie

Ernie Registered

Yes it's possible to run different refresh rates. But i have to check at home which specific ones are available.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

My 2cents as CV1 owner:

If game does not have VR support, I do not miss it. For example, I would still play rF2 instead of any other current game, even if there was no vorpX hack. Something not everyone might agree with me on, but is my opinion: all games I tried (including with native VR support), look better, crisper, with less aliasing/bluriness on TV or monitor.

However, specifically in racing, I really like the ability to see around me. I did not have dedicated room to turn into "man cave", so for me VR was perfect/compact alternative to a 3 monitor setup. Despite bad image quality compared to TV/Monitor, if sim has VR or vorpX, I would only play it in CV1 for purely practical reasons (being able to see around + immersion). I also like that being in CV1 is very like being in racing helmet (it restricts FOV just as helmet does). Since you have space restrictions, if you mainly play racing/flight sims, VR might be better option. Good luck with your build :)

bravotangosix and Paul_Ceglia like this.
  9. RaceNut

RaceNut Registered

I use both triples and The Rift CV1 in Racing-Sims and I like having the option to use either, depending on VR-support and how I'm playing. There's nothing else like feeling in the car that comes from using VR; it's fantastic but, as with most things, it comes with some trade-offs in terms of image quality and comfort. Where space is limited, I think VR is a great option to consider so long as you have titles with VR-support in your playlist.

Paul_Ceglia likes this.
  10. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered

Thanks Guys...Im currently looking at some higher res monitors but notice that the refresh rates drop off quite a bit and if you want 100hz rate your gonna pay for it, so the question is higher pixel count lower refresh or lower pixel count with a much higher refresh. I played @ 120hz and could absolutely feel a difference from when playing @ 60. This rig is only for racing btw... that Ben Q looks real tempting with the 144hz refresh but can your eye tell the difference?

edit: The more I dig the more I like that BenQ 3501, the res is manageable and with my current system I could probably max out or close to it and push 144fps.....I may be pulling the trigger soon...just waiting to see if the price can drop some more....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  11. Paul_Ceglia

Paul_Ceglia Registered