Server CPU Hardware

Discussion in 'Hosting Help' started by Chris English, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Chris English

Chris English Registered

I'm currently self hosting our league's rF2 server from a spare PC (Core i3 4160, 8GB RAM) on my 300/30Mbps connection. This holds 30 cars without any issues.

I'm looking to buy some dedicated server hardware (2nd hand to keep cost down, HP DL160 G6/G7) to run this properly 24/7. I'm wondering if anyone knows if a Xeon L5630 2.13GHz will be enough to run up to 32 cars on an rF2 server, or am I better off getting an E5645 instead?

This brings me onto another question - is the rF2 server application multi-threaded? If so I'd assume the L5630 should have enough grunt.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You could probably run a full server on a 1gig Celeron. Perhaps two.

3. fillikos

fillikos Registered

actually, a dedicated server doesn´t need high performance hardware.

To run a server with up to 40 cars you´ll need about 300 Mhz from your CPU and about 500 MB Ram. Dependig on track and amount of different cars.
    So, the Xeon would do this job easily.

Based on recommended server specs from Tim Wheatley

4. Chris English

Chris English Registered

Thanks guys, I thought so but always worth checking before spending money! :)

5. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I'm currently running 5 rf2 servers and 4 AMS servers in a VPS based on xeon e3 1240 v5 and 8gb of ram, they're running very well!
    But maybe 16gb of ram could be better, 5 rf2 empty servers cost me about 3gb of ram.

6. Depco

Depco Registered

I have a similar question so I'll just post it here. I am currently hosting 2-3 servers on a Core 2 Duo E5400 with 6 GB Ram. The severs run 24/7 but I shut down all but the one server my league will be using for our weekly race. I also run our TeamSpeak Server on the same machine. I am on a 50/5 Connection. Most of the lag spike and freezes we have experienced have been explained by server side plugins, and client side problems.

We ran a 14 driver race last week with no problems reported at all so I am confident that the server has no issue with that load. We have run as many as 18 with some reported lag spikes, which were later explained by a couple of plugins running on the server (welcome plugin and Liveracers). As our series ramps up I am a bit worried that 20+ drivers will put too much strain on the machine and am looking into upgrading the server box on the cheap.

I am already getting the maximum bandwidth from my ISP so upping the Upload speed is not an option.

Any advice on what hardware I can get cheap that will keep my servers running smoothly as the league grows?