Compatible VR headsets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lemming77, Oct 25, 2016.

1. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

As the title says, do we know yet which headsets are confirmed to be getting support in rF2? This is the last question I have before getting one myself.

2. Eddy

Eddy Registered

https://www.studio-397.com/

DirectX 11 compatible graphics engine will bring performance improvements on modern high-end graphics cards. Of course we will take care to stay compatible with current content. We will add support for VR, both the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive.

3. lemming77

lemming77 Registered

Excellent, thank you!

4. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Having joined the VR (CV1) club last week all I have to say is Roll on Q1 2017 :D

5. Eddy

Eddy Registered

So i guess you like it Marc? ;)

6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

yeah loving it so far, AC & Elite are simply great with it, I may do a mini-review at some point just for kicks :)

7. Eddy

Eddy Registered

thnks that would be great

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I just can't wait

I've even been using iracing less due to thinking about Rfactor 2 VR

I'm hoping beta VR support early Q1 if possible

9. rogue22

rogue22 Registered

Don't even bother making a video of it. Its just can't do it justice.

They'll have to see for themselves, lol. I have little desire to play any simulation without the Vive now.

10. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Oh no not doing a video, just a comprehensive first impressions post, hopefully I'll get time tonight.

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I'd given up on rf2 about a year ago, whats happened with this 397 partnership is brilliant and rf2 will be top of the sim tree for me

VR & racing sims were made for each other

12. stonec

stonec Registered

The graphics engine will need quite big improvements also to play well with VR. Running shadows have been an issue with rF2 since day one, which is obvious already on a 23 inch screen, and will look much worse on a VR device with a larger field of view. Some of the older car cockpits will also look bad on VR, but it might be hard to do anything about that if the model is simply too low poly. Overall the graphics engine will need a lot of polishing besides the move to DX11. I basically agree with everything that Empty Box has stated in his recent YT video.

13. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

In my experience VR is a bit of a leveller when it comes to graphics quality. For instance in VR iRacing is a much nicer experience now than Project CARS although on a monitor Project CARS looks really good. As much as I love VR the graphics quality is rather like going back a decade or more.

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

AC is pretty darn good in VR bit I'm not keen on that title )-:
    so its just iracing and DCS world both mind blowing in VR

ps since i upgraded to gtx1080 clarity/sharpness is even better, I guess the claim that the nvida 10 series is optimised for VR is true

16. PaulG

PaulG Registered

Definitely agree with this. Not that I don't think Assetto Corsa is gorgeous in VR, so it's not irrelevant, but even something like the Richard Burns Rally hack looks acceptably decent when you crank the super sampling way up. Being able to run at high levels of super sampling >>> fancy graphics (although both are obviously the ideal).

17. Jego

Jego Registered

I did not want to open a new thread for this so I'll just put it in here.

It would be pretty nice to have a feature to have the ingame car steering wheel be the same wheel as on your rig. I don't own a VR headset yet but I can imagine it would be a great help to press the right buttons and would add immersion.

So just like how it is already possible to disabling the wheel completely it would be awesome to have a model of the most common wheels to choose from available. (and obviously let the modders add more wheels to choose from)

18. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Whilst this is a nice idea I'm not sure it's practical, all car models would need to be upgraded for all the popular wheels (that's after they've decided how many to add) then initially it's a very small number of people potentially using this feature, weighing up "is it worth it?" over "time to implement".

Personally I have had no issue finding buttons on my T300 (as mentioned in my review) regardless of what in game wheel is in view, of course others may have difficulty but they'll get used too it easily enough I think. In fact just like in real life I'm rarely looking at the wheel, if anything I notice the hands more :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Jego likes this.
  19. Jego

Jego Registered

Well you make a fair point there, especially in terms of how many people will actually use VR at this stage.
    Was just an idea I had :)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    MarcG likes this.
  20. Thoemse

Thoemse Registered

I bought R-Factor 2 right at the beginning but haven't played much. Especially since the DK2 is out. I have a Vive by now and VR is the only way to go to play racing games even though i had a tripple screen setup (now sold). Knowing you will support makes me very happy. I will come back playing rfactor 2 for sure. I allways liked the game and the feel of the cars.