Problem creating RaceEvents

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by foxtochop, Nov 15, 2016.

1. foxtochop

foxtochop Registered

Hi! Let's see if someone can help me solving this problem...

A few days ago I was trying to create a RaceEvent for the Caterhams and this happened:

Why it doesn't show me my custom series, and instead shows me All Cars & Tracks?

I asked in Racedepartment for this and thanks to a user I discovered that the MAS2 utility can't write a rfm file for my RaceEvent.

The question is: why is this happening? What can I do to solve it?

2. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Mhh, long ago I did this, but I saw that you haven´t checked the check-boxes for car and tracks when you created the event.
    And why did you clicked on "customise" for .rfm? What happens if you don´t do that and let it done automaticly?

3. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

This is a bit confusing but for the default rFms, only use the dropdown list, don't "browse" (B button) unless you are loading a custom rfm from another folder.
    peterchen is right if you're using the default rfm you don't even need to check "customize"
    @foxtochop can you send me that RaceEvent you made please?

4. foxtochop

foxtochop Registered

The thing is peterchen is right, there is no need to select the rFm file in Customize menu. But the thing is not selecting it and leaving it by deafult will result in the same. My MAS2 utility seems unable to write an rFm file, that's why I "force selected" the default rFm, to try anything to solve this.

Anyways, I did a video on how I create the race events (and how they are created actually, any guide on this I've read tells me exactly to do so to create a RaceEvent):

This time I try to create a RaceEvent with content from the Endurance Series package, along with some URD content. Please be patient while I select all the optimal content in the video.
    Workshop content, or external mod content, or even ISI content, I can't make it work. No matter the content I select for the RaceEvent, it won't work.

This is a MEGA link to the .rfmod file I created in the video, the "RaceEvent WEC15":
    https://mega.nz/#!o4gmlTQC!-4jJ7AbyxDoL3ecgZw4K5OYn224Q5AWMAObrdJsWdAI

Thanks for the help.

5. Gijs van Elderen

Gijs van Elderen Registered

The problem with his RaceEvent's is: whatever he does the rFmod does not contain the .rfm file, Only 2 Icons.

What we tried so far is: ==> http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...eries-of-a-existing-and-installed-mod.128282/
    - to " force" select the default.rfm. (Didn't help)
    - Removed the "pkinfo.dat" incase this could cause issues. (Mas2 will create a new one upon launche, but didn't help)
    - Removed the default.rfm from the %appdata% folder. (Mas2 will create a new one upon launche, but didn't help)

Reading and writting for mas2 to the %appdata% folder seems to be OK.

foxtochop likes this.
  6. foxtochop

foxtochop Registered

That's right. Thanks Gijs.

EDIT: Didn't meant here that the problem is solved. IS NOT solved at the moment, just pointed that Gijs did a long story short of my "adventure" with this problem...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  7. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Where is your mas2.exe located?
    I have always placed both modmgr.exe and mas2.exe in rF2 root folder. I do not have to define any dafult folder to make it work.

8. Gijs van Elderen

That's correct. But it's in steam tutorial to refer to the package folder.

If you mean the default.rfm. You are correct also. You don't have to tick customize and select the default.rfm.

But non of his attempts work.
    His rFmods don't contain a .rfm file. :confused:
    And i'm currious why? :)

9. foxtochop

foxtochop Registered

Yes but it is what Gijs says just above. No need to displace MAS2 when you're able to define a package folder. No guide tells to do that, it is not necessary.

The weird thing is, even with clean install (uninstalled, all rFactor 2 data wiped out, then reinstalled) it still doesn't work.

10. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

I am not sure if it might be related but I would try not using Óscar in your user name: Can you change it to Oscar and try again?

11. foxtochop

foxtochop Registered

This was the problem. This afternoon I've formatted my PC after finishing some work, (as there is no other way to change the user name in Windows...) and I used the nickname I use here, foxtochop, as user name because it only contains readable letters.

Installed Steam, launched rFactor 2 (thank god I keep my games [and necessary stuff] in another partition), created a RaceEvent for the Caterham and voilà! It works.

So the problem is present when your user name contains an strange caracter as Ó or À or Ç I guess...

For curiosity and information's sake, "Ç" is a character used in Catalan (is named Valencian in the city of Valencia as it's a derivate of Valencia's area), a dialect spoken in a great part of east-Spain.

So, problem solved!

12. Gijs van Elderen

13. Christopher Elliott

Christopher Elliott Registered

Good catch :)

foxtochop and Euskotracks like this.
  14. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

You know.
    The hunt for the Alt Tab Issue causes has enhanced my Sherlock Holmes instinct ;)

peterchen, foxtochop and Wishmaster like this.