Can't get more than 30% GPU usage on GTX 980ti acx 2.0

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Donnie, Nov 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Hi racers :)

Sorry for my english, Frenchy inside ^_^

After a very very long time spent on google and on this forum, I havent' found any solution !
    What's my problem ? ... I can't get my GPU to be used at 100% (or close to 100%) in rF2

First, my rig :
    CPU : Intel core i7 4790 @ 4GHz
    MB : MSI Z97 Gaming blabla
    Ram : 16Gb DDR3 2400 Corsair
    GPU : GTX 980ti 6Gb acx 2.0 (no o/c)
    Windows 7 x64 SP1

What happens :
    First, on the video settings (in rF2 launcher) the 6Gb of my 980 becomes 1658Mb (very frustrating)
    Then, in game, when I hit ctrl+f, the gauge that gives you the GPU load, is always around 30%, but doesn't move whatever graphic options I use, and whatever happens on screen (alone for practice or with 20 cars, same thing)
    The CPU is always at 100% (don't know if it's good)

What I tried without result :
    - Checking if my GPU is seen as PCIe 3 (sometimes can be PCIe 2, depends on BIOS and windows I guess)
    - Deleting config.ini and player.JSON
    - Tweaking config.ini and player.JSON
    - Full GPU driver uninstall, then reinstall
    - rF2 fresh install
    - Uninstalling GeForce Experience (this shit is useless btw)

I'm not complaining about my FPS, with pretty high settings I go from 95 fps full grid, to 280+ on practice with 7 AI, but if the GPU is blocked to this low Vram and load, I guess I can get the same result with all graphics maxed out !!
    OR, the GPU is really used as it should be, but the game is giving me bad feedback (but I doubt it)

I don't have this problem in any other game, so I'm asking you guys what can it be !

EDIT : Forgot to say that I have a 121hz screen ... so 121fps is my low limit ^_^

Thanks for reading,
    Cheers,
    Donnie

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  2. Ozzy

Ozzy Registered

If you lock your frames at 121, is CPU still maxed out? If yes, than try a really low cap like 30 for testing.

And just to be sure:
    Green for graphics,
    Purple for Physics

3. Donnie

Donnie Registered

We agree on the colors ^_^ !

Tried locking framerate, same shit -_- ... BUT, I tried with various car and track combo, and the GPU load vary on the combo (a little) and on the graphic options I use, but the CPU load is always 100%, wich is bizarre (even online it's the same).

But I have still no clue on the Vram detected by rF2 ... 1658Mb detected, against 6Gb of physical Vram on the GC !

4. Eddy

Eddy Registered

The vram displayed by rF2 has had a bug from day 1. But that won't affect your gaming.

Sounds to me your cpu is bottleneck here. maybe it's very busy with some programme running in background?
    Or maybe a plugin causing this problem?

5. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Ok, so my guess about the wrong Vram feedback was good ^_^ ... first problem solved, thanks :D

Maybe the CPU is the bottleneck as you said, but nothing heavy is running on background.
    I'm the kind of user who likes to optimize windows at its best, so nothing useless is starting or runs in background.

I now think about the RAM. I saw someone who had a similar problem because he had different RAM installed.
    I have 4x4Gb in Dual, but it's 2x 2Gb DDR3 3200 and 2x 2Gb DDR3 2400 ... so I "clocked" everything at 2400.
    Don't know if it can creat any kind of bottleneck between CPU and GPU !
    Only numbers I don't like are the latency : I got this ---> 12 - 13 - 13 - 34 - 193
    All sticks are the same brand and coupled as it should for Dual channel.

Damn, sometimes these computer things are driving me crazy ^_^

EDIT : Nothing change without rF2 plugins, even with fresh install (only ISI official content)

6. Eddy

Eddy Registered

I'm no computer wizzard what soever but all i know is ram memory banks of different speed could give problems. dunno if that is what's causing it. you could try and remove one off them and see how cpu usage is then.

Other thing i can think off is heat problems causing cpu to throttle. Dust in computer?

7. Donnie

Donnie Registered

Thanks for helping :) I'll try to take off the slower ram then clock it to the good speed...
    Temperature is ok, computer cleaned every month + watercooling B-)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can you screenshot the graph you're looking at, just to be sure we're all talking about the same thing? Ctrl-C is the graph you want, which might be what you're doing, but you said Ctrl-F above. Just wanting to be sure.